15inch UMPB with external monitor vs. iMac 27

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JajoPGH, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I just bought the UMBP a few short weeks ago. I had planned to get an external display to go with my UMBP once the new mouse and keyboards came out to act as a desktop computer and laptop. But dang, now they hit me with a 27 inch iMac.

Should I stick with the laptop with external goods... or grab the iMac. I love the convenience of the laptop. I can take it to the living room, vacation, whatever (i don't use it for work). The iMac, on the other side, is just amazing from inside and out. 27 inches is GREAT!!! The inner specs seem great too...

I was thinking of getting the Samsung XL2350 (23 inches) or HP 27 inch monitor.

What do you think?

2. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

exact same situation, except ive had my alum mbp for almost and will sell on ebay!

3. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

have you decided what to do?

4. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

So, does anyone have any buying tips for me?

At this point, I am even leaning towards a 24 inch ACD + my Macbook Pro 15. I'm not sure how much sense it would make to sell my computer for a couple hundred less than I bought it. I'll be in the hole a few hundred bucks after buying the 27 inch. But at the same time, I'll have a huge screen and great insides.

things that make you go hmmmmmm

5. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I have both the 24" ACD and 15" 2.66 ghz mid/late-2009 MBP. Don't sell your MBP as it is a powerful computer. I have the bluetooth apple keyboard and Mighty mouse. You actually could get either the iMac or ACD since the new iMacs can be used as a external display if you wanted to with your MBP but you need to buy an adapter and I don't know how much sense it would make to connect your MBP to a new 27" iMac. :confused: Just bust out your credit card, and get the iMac.

Otherwise, get the ACD and buy yourself a magic mouse, new bluetooth apple keyboard, and a 2.53ghz mac mini. Since I have all this, I'm going to give my sister who has the same exact MBP as me, my mighty mouse and buy the magic mouse for myself. Also, I will buy the new mac mini for myself as I will have both a desktop and laptop thereafter. This way is actually more expensive in the long run but hey, since I got the "stuff", I'll just make it like a iMac by purchasing the mac mini and keeping it slightly hidden behind the ACD :). If you think about it too, if something happened to your mac mini, you can take it to the apple store and still work with your MBP. The same could be done with a new iMac but less to lugg to the applestore. There are major pros and cons.

I was so contemplating the imac but realized I have a big 24" ACD that accommodates me and I will just need a mac mini and the new magic mouse. :) I got my ACD refurbished btw.

6. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I've decided to take the plunge and sell my macbook pro on ebay, And go for the Imac! Only because I have a windows work laptop and can use that for portability when necessary. I might of got the external ACD if i had the money! But I cant see myself spending that much money on a monitor when I cant use it as an external display for my other laptop.

I just want the 27inch beauty now :)

7. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Man, to be honest, I was hoping your opinions would be more like "keep what you have"

Instead, you tell me to get the credit card ready, and making me sway towards the 27 inch beast. You guys kill me! :D

so the options are....

MBP 15 unibody with 24 inch ACD
    pros:
    portable and stationary.
    cons: less power (doesn't bother me too much), less storage

iMac 27 inch.
    pros: big screen, better specs
    cons: have to sell MBP to get it, not portable

I have a feeling this waffling will last a while :(

8. Deppe macrumors member

Come on - your MBP is a perfect, good computer! If you had not bought it already I could understand your doubt but since you already have it and theres nothing wrong with it, it would be foolish to sell it with a loss. Unless the new iMac does something that you need and that your MBP can't do, I would keep the MBP and get a monitor!

9. BrokenE macrumors regular

Yeah, keep the MBP and get a monitor. If you really want to trump the 27 iMac, get a refurbed 30" ACD for $1,200. the "30 does not have the resolution of the 27, but you get more screen. And I don't think you're going to be happy with your work laptop as a portable. It just doesn't compare to a MBP, does it?

10. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Yep mines on ebay, if it doesn't sell I wont be too bothered, But it will be a hassle transferring over all my data across and so on, if it does sell..

11. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Lookwise no it doesn't!! but general internet browsing, It doesn't make a difference :)

12. katyoshi macrumors 6502

But then he won't experience the true new 27" iMac!:D I agree, keep your MBP and just get a monitor, preferably the 24" ACD. Later down the road (in about a week or so) you wouldn't be able to resist and you'll buy the magic mouse. then sooner or later, the mac mini will come into your life. :)

13. Happy Luppy macrumors member

If i were you, i would purchase the ACD rather than the iMac. I personally feel having a portable computer is an advantage compared to having a desktop.

14. vstephenson macrumors member

uMPB & LED

About a month ago I went for the the 2.8mpb15" and a 24 LED ACD

I must say Im very happy and I wasnt phased by the new iMac release

As my old 24" 2008 iMac sits on the desk at the other end running iTunes hanging its head in shame because the screen developed a fault that I cant get fixed here in Turkey unless I shell out 700euros for a replacement LCD

I like being able to unplug and tote it around with me and the MBP has the grunt now to be a great desktop

COD4 on Bootcamp is very enjoyable on the 24 ACD

love it

Now if only I hadnt bought a rev A MBA and waited a bit I would be a very happy Apple camper

15. dquack macrumors member

Keep your MBP and buy a larger monitor. Like it was said already the MBP is a work horse. I just bought a 3.06 uMBP about 2 months ago and would never think of selling it. It is everything that I need in a computer. Plus if you buy the imac you lose portability. I can carry my MBP under my arm, you would struggle carrying the imac. LOL.

16. xpla macrumors regular

I arranged to get my MBP picked up tomorrow (as i'm in the period where i'm able to return it) but i can't decide what to do.

I don'lt like the unibody MBP because of it's sharp edges. Those edges are hurtin my hands as i'm not able to use the MBP ergonomic all the time.

Most time i use it on my desk connected to a 22" screen but i'm fed up with disconnecting all the cables and connect it again and also the space wasted by the MBP as it's there with lid closed.

I went to an apple reseller and the 21,5" looks fantastic but i'm afraid it's getting too small.

So, returning my MBP and getting a 21,5" oder 27" or a 24" ACD ... I thought i'll take a 27" and a new Macbook ... But the 24" may be also an option.

Don't know what to do ...

17. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Wow,

Thanks to everyone for the great comments and showing your concern for my little situation/decision.

After reading this thread, I was pretty committed to keeping my MBP.

But something threw me for a loop. Someone is VERY interested in purchasing it from me (for $200 less than I bought it). I'm pretty freakin' lost right now on what to do.

18. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I have a Twelve South Bookarc to free up the desk space behind my 24"

19. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Any new comments? I am entirely torn.. For me, money comes into play also.

So lets break it down:

Macbook Pro/ACD set-up

Macbook Pro 15 2.53 ghz - $1700
    Refurbished ACD - $640
    Magic Mouse & Keyboard - $150

Grand total: $2490 (before taxes)

iMac 27" set-up
    iMac - $1700
    Macbook Pro depreciation: We'll call it $300
    probably would get a Macbook or MBP 13 (I like the portability). 1000 or 1200.

Grand total: $3000-$3200

The more I think about it, the more torn I am. And there is an offer on the table at this point.

20. vstephenson macrumors member

Said it before, I'll say it again

Go for the ACD, dont forget you also will get dual screen functionality here as well which is very useful when photo processing

And the ACD looks just as awesome on your desk!

happy shopping

21. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Having 2 main computers is a big hassle unless you have a clever backup and syncing method. You may also find that you'll just tend to use one computer way more than the other so the unused one becomes a pile of burning cash.

22. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

An ACD or a 27" HP 1080p full HD LCD monitor along with a 15" uMBP?

The HP monitor looks so much alike the ACD.

23. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

I figured that too...

But at the same time, I think my wife would be making a lot of use of the Macbook in the future due to her needing it for work...

The HP monitor does look nice, and I have considered it. The resolution though is very low. Nevertheless, I am indeed considering it.

By the way, some people mention unplugging and replugging to be quite a hassle. How terrible could it actually be with an ACD? Wouldn't it take all of 3 seconds?

I hate you Apple!!!

24. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

money wise it just doenst make any sense...my 2cents---> get a nice 27 or even 30 inch monitor and the adapter for your UMBP. This way you can have a dual screen setup. after all it's very unlikely you will be using your laptop and your desktop for two different things that you can't do with your UMBP on two screen, unless you are a very very hardcore movie editor but then I think you'd be looking at a MP not MBP or iMac lol

more pros:

you can even get a comparable or bigger and better monitor + your already bought UMBP (I think) for less than imac + macbook

no pain syncing stuff or having to pay to do it.

always keep ALL of your stuff with you

HAve the portability and a good amount of power on your desktop (if you dont mind me asking I am curious as to what you do that you need more power than your UMBP already has?) cause I am running on a MB pre SR and I do everything on it, video editing included (FCE not FCP because of the integrated gfx card) all of teh adobe suite,, yes I see a beach ball here and there when working with large PS files but that's about it...

and I think (imo) mbp looks better than any iMac

and the plugging hassle?
    hmmm with my MB and monitor

-monitor cable
    -usb keyboard (mine is an alumi wired keyboard so I keep the mouse connected to one of its ports tehrefore only one usb to connect for mouse and keyboard)
    -headphones jack cable for my speakers
    wait a couple of seconds for your machine to see it has an external monitor hooked up blinks 3 secos and your ve got dual screen sweetness..

takes less than 10 secodns teh whole ordeal...plugging in 3 cables can't be that bad... 4 if you are liek me and use a firewire HD for TM

25. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Juanster,

Thank you very much for your post.

You asked what I need all the power for. To be honest, my 15 inch has more than enough power for my uses. The most intense program I use is Photoshop. Even then, I'm not consistently making super huge files. Nor do I make movies. But I can definitely see myself editing some home videos in the future. By the way, I think the last movie I have watched on a computer was Gladiator many years ago. I use my living room for movies.

The inside specs are an added bonus to me when it comes to the iMac. The thing that just grabs me is that screen. I finally saw it yesterday, and it was definitely beautiful.

My rational at this point is why should I get an ACD + peripherals for 800, when I can get an iMac + 13 inch Macbook for just a little more (after including 15 inch macbook)? That's 2 computers instead of one (syncing won't bother me). That's one big huge screen, plus power, plus the portability of a laptop.

15 inch MBP + ACD + peripherals = 2600.
    iMac + 13 inch refurb = 2800. (3000 if adding depreciation of selling MBP)

Another option is just get rid of the 15 inch and buy an iMac. I do have a slightly older Dell laptop that is still running. I'm not sure how much longer it will last though. In the end, I really don't want to use it. I just switched to Mac, and I never want to use anything else. The way the laptop feels, and closes, and looks....just amazing.

Do I seriously even want to spend all that money on two computers? Will I actually use them? I feel that for some reason I won't be totally pleased with a 24 inch ACD when I knew I could have an iMac for a little more

I feel like Brett Favre.