15month old toddler crashes the photos app on the ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tinywireless, Jan 8, 2011.

1. tinywireless macrumors newbie

Hei,

My toddler and I love to watch pictures on the ipad, its mostly fun but when I am not looking he manges to lick the screen of the ipad. I wipe the screen and we go on watching videos and pictures (with a bit of show and tell). This happens for a few times (4-5 times) and then when I wipe the screen (I wiped it with my t-shirt), the photo app stops responding to touch, it still responds to orientation changes but not to touch.
    Further I can only see the last picture we were watching as a thumbnail.
    The only way to recover the photos app seems to be a long press on the on-off button and re-boot the ipad. The home button works and so do all other apps but the photos app is dead.

Has anyone faced this problem. It would be good to find a way to avoid it. My toddler is able to consistently re-produce the problem :(.

-David

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would think probably the most obvious way to avoid it would be to ensure your toddler doesn't lick the screen since that seems to be the source of the problem

3. tinywireless thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I do not think that the ipad screen is good for him but he does manage to do it before I can stop him or move the ipad away :( . I guess our ipad show and tell needs a time out :( , any ideas are still welcome.

4. X2D macrumors newbie

Solution:
    Take a screenshot of your photos app with current photos.
    Print it out and make sure its the same size as the ipad screen.
    Build an ipad shaped ice cube holder, fill with water, but putting the picture at the bottom.
    After a few days or a week or whatever take it out and begin "playing" with your ipad in a place where condensation or water won't ruin surfaces / other devices.
    Allow your toddler to play or "lick" the screen.

See if they do it again, ever. Problem solved.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Send it to the jailbreak team, they could probably use this!

6. Ksane macrumors regular

Aaaaawwww, he's just a baby, guys lol
    If it's messed up now you'll probably have to fix it with a restore. Once it's working right again just use a cheap screen protector. Or heck-even that plastic cling wrap in a pinch. It's so pretty, he just wants to taste it :)

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

To avoid rebooting the iPad you could try doing a force-quit of the photos app when it happens. Press home, then double-press home to bring up the recent apps list, press and hold on the photos app and then press the (-) button.

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Why don't you try and backup and restore you iPad. Honestly a toddlers tongue would have no effect to a piece of glass. It's like it I cleaned the screen with a drop of water or alcohol.

Restore it and report back and if the problem persists then go and make a warranty claim at the genius bar.

9. tinywireless thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking that water or moisture will mess up the touchpad, well I grab him now before he tries to lick the screen and he loves the ipad. Are you sure I have to take it the the apple store ?

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

What photos are you showing that are enticing your toddler to lick the screen? ;)

I'd imagine it has more to do with the saliva causing some sort of touch interface overload than anything else - I doubt you'd need to bring it to the Apple Store.

Maybe while watching your iPad you could give your toddler something else to lick, like maybe a popsicle or something. You could also get the video connector for a TV and play the pictures on your TV.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The little prick'll probably lick the TV. ;)

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Coat the ipad with a thin layer of castor oil and let him lick away.

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Get a 1-gallon Ziploc type bag. Place the iPad in the bag. Lick away!

Seriously, this works wonders. You can navigate just fine through the Ziploc, and it protects perfectly against moisture. I know someone who does this for precisely that same reason.

jW

14. tinywireless thread starter macrumors newbie

Photos are just family photos, then I ask questions like "Who is this" etc. I also noticed the sometimes he does not lick it but his breath condenses on the screen and that is sufficient to cause problems. I will try the ziploc idea. Thanks.