16:9 - I just realized something awesome about it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I don't know why this didn't click before, but I just realized that if the new iPhone screen is 16:9, it will be able to perfectly scale with airplay to HD TVs without any letterboxing. I think this may be Apple's play for the living room gaming market - the iPhone becomes the controller and with WiFi direct you can send signal straight to the Apple TV.

It will actually be pretty cool!

Any thoughts?

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

It may have been a factor... definitely not the driving factor though

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right, and with AirPlay Direct, it will be even better.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If by "cool" you mean the worst idea ever, then yes, it would be. The Vita as an extended controller for the PS3 or the Wii U controller actually make sense, they have hardware buttons. Controlling a game beyond angry birds with the phone would be an exercise in futility.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I would say that was definitely a driving people as tons of people stream to HDTVs. Maybe not games, but other content.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

tons of people stream, but not off their phones onto their tv.

I do not know a single person who does that. I am the first my friends to own an apple tv

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's very easy. AirAV app. PS3MediaPlayer DLNA server on PC.

Load up m4v/mp4 video streaming from DLNA on the PC, transfer to AppleTV. And can even sleep phone and it keeps going straight on through to AppleTV.

Youtube is also easier to browse on iPhone or iPad depending on what I have handy, and then just transfer to AppleTV.

Even so, 16:9 content still works even now... from my 4:3 iPhone4. The iPhone's screen dimensions are irrelevant.

8. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

iPhone screen size is completely irrelevant; it'll scale to whatever it needs to regardless.

And to agree with an above poster a buttonless remote would, for the most part, be terrible.

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I wasn't saying it is hard. I am just saying a lot of people don't do it. I do not know a single one.

I know TONS of people who don't even have music on their iPhone. They only use it to surf the net, use apps, and for the phone features

ADDITIONAL: The iPad is 4:3 and the iPhone is 3:2

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Or, like I do, put movies on external drive. Plug into my PS3. Done.

11. speed4tu macrumors member

This is 100 percent true. Gaming on touch screens suck

12. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

I just hope that they increased the resolution to at least 720p on the new screen

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

After 3 burnt out PS3 mainboards, and no time for gaming, I gave up on it.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

for me, this is a video game controller.

[​IMG]

gaming on the iPhone is fun for a short time but the kind of serious gaming that uses the whole tv is harder to do with only a touch screen. Im sure it will be something apple does tout as an awesome feature but I'm not sure it will actually be all that amazing. Streaming videos however will be pretty great.

15. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, like others have pointed out, we're not just talking about gaming as it is true that games like real racing already do scale to the 16:9 ratio on HD TVs when streamed from iOS devices.

How about straight up screen mirroring? Showing off apps, photos, things on the web, doing presentations, you suddently have perfect 16:9 mirroring of whatever you do on your phone.

It probably is not the driving force for the change, and truthfully Apple just didn't want to make the phone wider because it would break a lot of apps, but it's still at least a cool byproduct of the change.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Gaming on an external additional cost device would be a terrible reason to choose such an awkward phone size. Hopefully they can come up with a better reason to give us taller but not wider.

17. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I use Airplay every day. I love it. Was the sole reason I upgraded to ML on launch.

18. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I couldn't care about it being awesome using AirPlay, I'm just excited the 16:9 ratio will be on the iPhone itself.

19. monkor macrumors regular

I've used a wireless HDMI transmitter for over a year now and use my phone on the TV a lot. It's pretty easy and works great for watching video, music, and playing maybe Angry Birds or something (I don't know, don't play tons of games), but in no way is it ideal for gaming. It scales just fine regardless of the size of the screen, anyway.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That sucks as, without a doubt, the PS3 is my best electronics purchase ever.

21. troop231 macrumors 603

Same here, even though I don't really use it for games, mostly just for Blu-Rays and playing media from a usb stick.

22. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

My thoughts are that
    1. an iPhone 4 "Airplayed" to an HD TV suffers from "Pillarboxing" i.e. black vertical stripes at the sides, as opposed to "Letterboxing" which is black horizontal stripes at the top and bottom (picky, I know)
    2. that a 2.35:1 movie will still not be exactly right, but will certainly look a whole lot better on the iPhone screen and on the HD TV

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

+1. I share a video directory on my PC and stream all my movies through the PS3. Rock simple.

24. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

This. And as an aside, does the 4s(and presumably the i5) support more airplay gaming than my i4?

I'm not saying that it will happen with the i5, or ever, but Apple has patents on haptic displays. I feel as though this would greatly increase the iPhone's capability as a gaming controller. I don't think it will ever compete with traditional controllers, but for most casual gaming it will be a welcome addition.