16 gb storage enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Dec 17, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Is 16 gb storage enough? I got an iPod Touch 32 gb and it's nearly full. So should I just go cheap and get the 16 gb version and try to limit what I put on it, or just go all out and get the 64 gb version so that I put anything on it that I want? ( the 64 gb version is more expensive and is very hard to get, there is a long waiting list )

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it all depends what u wanna put in it. Some people are happy with just 16GB, others want more.

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Take a look at your media library, is it even close to 16gb? This includes music, podcasts, pictures. If you are creeping up on 16GB i suggest you buy the 32GB at minimum.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Your 32GB iPod is nearly full. If you get a 16GB, in your situation you will regret it.

5. Jay0911 macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB and with iTunes Match and Photostream it conserves the amount of space on my iPhone. Also I have an iPad so all the big game files I usually just download there. So if you're trying to budget and get the 16 I advise you to purchase iTunes Match.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have a 16GB iPhone and iTunes Match has solved a big problem for me. I can now essentially carry my entire 3,000 (25GB) music library with me wherever I go without having to worry about having "enough storage" before I go on a trip.

Next week I'll be traveling for the holidays and I don't have to worry about syncing the right tracks before I go, I just need enough to get me through the car drive, but whenever I want I'll be able to delete and re-download other tracks.

So in my case (with iTunes Match and Photo Stream), 16Gb is now more than enough.

Great minds think alike :D

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Now for those of you with huge libraries of music why do you feel the need to have all 3000 songs with you? Can't listen to them all in one day, one week ect..... so what's the point of having so many on your phone? Of course with match and cloud you don't need to have it on your phone but what if you don't have internet or service? Are you really going to be missing the 2500 songs you don't have on your phone?

To op, this is a question only you can answer for yourself. What phone do YOU want? I say get a 32 if your current iPod is almost full.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You never know what you'll be in the mood for

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Remember OP, using that 1080p camera will also take up a lot of space. I *think* (don't quote me on this) that 6 minutes 1080p = 1GB.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Question: Is 16GB enough?

Answer: Not if you have 17GB of stuff to carry around with you. :rolleyes:

It's not just music. It's videos and pictures you take with the outstanding camera. Or apps (some being 1GB each).

The iPhone is not upgradable.

No one ever complained about having too much storage.

Buy the most you can afford.

Don't run with scissors. :apple:

11. papaalex macrumors newbie

If you are going to use the iphone just as a phone then it is more than enough. But if you plan on transferring all the data from your itouch then go higher.

12. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I have 32gb and I could've easily went with 16gb.

13. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had the 32 GB iPhone 4 and I used less than 16 GB. Then I got the 64 GB 4s because that was all that was available and I decided to throw on some movies and more music and I'm over 40 GB of use now. So the point is that you can always use the space if you want too.

14. SporkLover macrumors 6502

As others have said, I have a 64gb iPad 2, that really mitigates my need to carry large files around on my iphone, so 16gb worked out perfect for me.

15. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I have a 16GB iP4, which I went to from a 32GB 3GS. I've had the iP4 for well over a year. At times, I wish I had more space, but for the most part I've been able to manage my media quite well with only 16GB of space. I usually keep around 500MB-1GB of space free so that I can add stuff easily when I need to.

However, I do think that the 32GB is the sweet spot, and I'll probably go back to a 32 the next time I upgrade.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

16GB is plenty for me. I don't use my iPhone much for media, except for in the gym. So I only sync a select amount of music that I want to hear for exercising.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If your 32GB iPod touch is nearly full *and* you plan on shooting a decent bit of video, I recommend getting the 64GB model

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

And this is why I lobe to carry my 80GB iPod with me a lot. You go on vacation and your mood changes and you'll have what you want.

I would go for the 32GB personally.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The same argument woucl be applied to the hard drive on your desktop. Why keep it all? Why not just delete everything you can't listen to in a day/week?

The reason of course, is because I like different things at different times, and I can't always predict what I'm in the mood to hear. If there's not enough space, I have to choose based on what I think I might like... and I could be wrong, or I could decide I really wanted to listen to x song, but now I can't because I didn't put it on my phone's limited space.

Orrrrr, I could just buy the storage I need plus a little extra, and then put it all there. And then I don't have to waste time preplanning what I want to listen to/watch.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, 16GB is plenty. My media library is close to 100GB, but I don't feel the need to have all of my media with me at all times.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is going to be extremely subjective. I was going to go with the 64GB model so that I could dump most of my music library on it, but I find that Google music is enough for me, and went with the 16GB. I am also not one to load movies onto my phone (though we do have Hulu and Netflix subscriptions, so that certainly helps). I do take pictures, but not an huge amount. I have maybe 100 since launch, and they really don't take up enough space to warrant upgrading, IMHO. If any of the above are not viable options for you, by all means, opt for something larger.

23. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I originally got a 64 GB 4S, and after a week I decided to go with a 16GB because I felt that with iTunes Match, and Streaming services like Rdio or Spotify I could get by.

Well after a couple of weeks I was in an area that didn't get great Verizon cell coverage and had some trouble getting my music/podcasts/YouTube to stream. Also after taking video of my kids basketball games on Saturdays, I noticed that I had run almost completely out of room.

I noticed that taking video on the 4S was taking up a great deal of space on my phone and even after I loaded the video and pictures I decided to go back to what I started with.

Today I use the 64GB iPhone 4S, and am enjoying it. I still use streaming services like Spotify, and iTunes match, but I also keep a lot of music, podcasts and Audiobooks on my iPhone as I listen to them on my way to work. Now I don't have to worry about video taking up too much room before I have to dump them on my iMac.

The choice really depends on how it will be used.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I got the 64GB model because it's the biggest one Apple makes. If they made a 1TB model I'd get that. The ONLY argument against having more storage is price. Some of us place a higher value on the convenience and flexibility of local storage than the price difference between the 16GB and 64GB models. It's a matter of personal preference and budget.

25. speed4tu macrumors member

I got the 32 gig as I only kept a few playlists synced on my phone to use while riding my motorcycle and at the gym. Now I have iTunes match so my whole library of about 65 gigs at the moment is able to go on it.