Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release a 16-inch MacBook Pro in September, according to Jeff Lin, an analyst at research firm IHS Markit.

16-inch-MBP-Solo.jpg
MacRumors concept of 16-inch MacBook Pro display

Lin believes the 16-inch display will be an LCD supplied by LG Display, with a resolution of 3,072×1,920 pixels, as outlined in IHS's latest Emerging PC Market Tracker report, published Thursday and obtained by Forbes.

ihs-16-inch-macbook-pro.jpg
IHS Markit via Forbes

For comparison, the 15-inch MacBook Pro has a resolution of 2,880×1,800 pixels.
"We foresee that Apple will release a new product [at the] Sep'19 Apple event if there's no unexpected development issue," Jeff Lin, Associate Director, Consumer Electronics at IHS Markit, said in an email, referring to the 16-inch MacBook Pro.
Korean website The Elec recently reported that Samsung was in talks with Apple about supplying OLED displays for the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but if the IHS Markit report is accurate, the notebook will have a LCD instead.

16-inch MacBook Pro rumors began with well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Back in February, he said the notebook would launch at some point in 2019 with an "all-new design," but he did not comment on which display technology the notebook would use or share any other details.

As would be expected, Lin claims the 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature a newer processor. No other details are known.

IHS Markit has an entire team dedicated to display-related research, with close ties to the supply chain, so this rumor carries some weight. The research firm accurately revealed the original 10.5-inch iPad Pro's resolution nearly four months in advance and also saw LTPO coming to the Apple Watch.

Apple has never unveiled new Macs at its annual iPhone event in September, often waiting for October instead. Either way, it sounds increasingly likely that a 16-inch MacBook Pro is coming at some point this year.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Said to Launch in September With LCD and 3072x1920 Resolution

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I don't get why Apple won't revive the 17" Macbook Pro instead. Even though this is probably their best Macbook yet, from a marketing stand point, it'll just seem too similar to the 15".
Depends, if this is an 16.6" it will be like the 15" is to the 13". If it will be 16" probably this will replace the 15" down the line
[doublepost=1561350692][/doublepost]I love that Apple is on fire with the mac this year...we've been waiting for this for several years

bvz

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
I'm not the market for this machine (I'm in the wrong tax bracket for how much this is likely to cost), but I sure hope it is a killer new design. Specifically I hope the keyboard is fixed (both reliability and travel). Apple seems to have listened with regard to the new pro (price excepted) and perhaps they will do the same with this laptop. We don't need it to be 2mm thinner. We need a better keyboard.and better thermals. A thinner bezel, however, would be nice in that that actually leads to real user benefits (smaller overall size where it counts - smaller horizontal and vertical dimensions vs. thickness - yet maintaining a larger screen).

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
releasing a new macbook pro after they updated the 2019 pros in may wont sit too well with people. Especially if they drop the 15" model for this 16" i dont see them having around two sizes an inch apart from each other unless this is a completely new thicker chassis pro machine with a 5-800$ increase price point.

Skeith

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
releasing a new macbook pro after they updated the 2019 pros in may wont sit too well with people. Especially if they drop the 15" model for this 16" i dont see them having around two sizes an inch apart from each other unless this is a completely new thicker chassis pro machine with a 5-800$ increase price point.
likely this is the "real pro" machine. like Mac Pro and friends, will price out many potential buyers.

maybe coming with "Pro" butterfly keyboard. lol

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
Either way, there just seems to be too much smoke concerning this machine coming this year, Ming's report, the 7 newly registered models in the Eurasian database, the 9 to 5 mac podcast guys claiming the keyboard will have a escape key and touch-bar, now this.

It would probably be best to return the 2019 MBP if you can wait few more months.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Just go 4k in 16:10 alrdy Apple.
All I want is 1920x1200 points of space with a native @2x scaling.
It's totally doable on the 15" alrdy... just a shame that the scaling is not native. And before anyone says anything... yes you can see the non-linear scaling... and I really dislike it.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
I don't get why Apple won't revive the 17" Macbook Pro instead. Even though this is probably their best Macbook yet, from a marketing stand point, it'll just seem too similar to the 15".

The 17" never sold very well. I have one and loved it but it was a bulky beast. Now that I use the 15" at work I really do prefer the size and weight of the 15". I do miss the extra screen space for the UI on the 17" without making details microscopic but I have learned to make better use of the native 1440 UI space of the 15"

If Apple can add more screen space and keep the size and weight form factor the same as the 15" I think that will be a very popular and effective product.

The thing I find odd is the only slight resolution bump to 3072x1920. That makes it seem like it won't really have more screen space for the UI and the 16" will really just be a marketing thing with the very small bezel. Going from 2880 to 3017 isn't enough to really impact productivity in anyway. Thats a UI space of 1440 vs 1536. Not even the 1680 wide option the 15" used to have years ago. If this rumor is correct Apple seems to want to keep the DPI the same and is just getting rid of more of the bezel which adds a few extra pixels around the screen. Running at 1920 scaled mode will be about a 1.6x retina vs the 1.5x retina of the current 15". Not enough to make a visual impact on detail. The DPI will be 134 PPI vs the 141 PPI of the current 15" when using 1920 scaled mode so still very tiny text and details.

Unless there is a significant CPU and GPU upgrade I think the existing 15" models will be perfectly fine alternatives.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Just go 4k in 16:10 alrdy Apple.
All I want is 1920x1200 points of space with a native @2x scaling.
It's totally doable on the 15" alrdy... just a shame that the scaling is not native. And before anyone says anything... yes you can see the non-linear scaling... and I really dislike it.

To be fair we do have 1920x1200 UI space with a 1.5x retina. Not as crystal clear as 2x retina but I think most people are hard pressed to notice a visual difference between the two. The UI space however is exactly what we would have with a 3840 wide 4k display. At that DPI however one needs to wonder just how significant moving to 4k would really be for the 15" display. I'm an app developer and at that DPI (141 DPI) I rarely notice a significant difference between 2x and 1.5x image assets. I just don't think the visual advantage would outweigh the cost. Plus it would have the disadvantage of not looking as good at 1440 (2880) wide at 109DPI which is what is the optimal viewing size for that screen size. More people struggle with higher DPI values and if the display was 4k it would have to scale down which doesn't look as good as the current 15" does at that resolution. We notice the scaling softness a lot more at that size. The 1920 scaled mode on the current 15" works very well because the details are so small its very difficult to see any imperfections or scaling softness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.