16": Intermittent washed out screen after unlock, also nightshift

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Had the 16" for nearly two weeks now and am getting less impressed as time goes on.

When unlocking the screen - work in an office, so a common occurrence -- I've had the MBP screen go all washed out, like I've completely reduced the contrast. The Thunderbolt "Cinema display" is fine. Running System Preferences / Displays / Colour and selecting one of the profiles doesn't fix it. Have to sleep the machine and restart. I've had this three times thus far.

I'm now noticing the NightShift affect, changing the colour temperature intermittently. In a bright office it occasionally flickers.

One thing I do have is a privacy shutter over the camera. I hope Apple are not using the camera to detect the ambient light.

Using it in a meeting the other day the keyboard and mouse completely locked up. The touch bar worked, but the trackpad and keyboard didn't work. Had to shut the lid, wait for a while and then it worked again.

Obviously it's got the popping sound malarkey. Stop/start a video and it pops.

Unrelated; this is a space grey machine. I've had sliver Macs since 2004 and every one of them looks as new, even my trusty old 17" machine. This space grey machine already has scratches and it's awful for showing smudges and looking quite dirty. If I didn't know any better, it looks as if the anodising on the 16" is far inferior to the anodising on all of their older machines (I skipped the 'new' 15" machines as I couldn't stand the keyboard -- bought one and gave it to the wife).

7even

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2008
MacBooks don’t use cameras to detect ambient light, but the ambient light sensor is close to the camera, to the right of the light. Make sure your cover doesn’t accidentally cover this sensor as well.

NightShift should hold the colors constant during specific time ranges so any flickering is probably just software issues (as well as the washed out display probably). Generally Catalina has felt a bit buggy for me so I expect all this to get better over time.

As far as the space gray finish, I had a space gray 15” for several years and this finish will look just fine as long as you keep it clean and don’t wear metal on your hands/wrists when using it (which would affect either finish anyway). Smudges yes, but that’s a function of color rather than differences in finish IMO.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Your "privacy shutter" could very well be casing a lot of those issues, as those sensors are very close to the camera.

seangrimes590

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
I've been having the occasional issue with the color changing after unlocking / waking from sleep however selecting a different color profile and going back to the original one always solves it. I haven't noticed any night shift issues myself but I've seen a few other complaints on this with the 16" and 15" which seems to indicate a catalina issue.

mightyjabba

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I think most of these are Catalina issues to be frank. I've had the washed out screen thing once and I don't have the webcam covered. I don't think the space gray should be THAT much different in durability. My 2016 MacBook Pro still looks like new.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Cortana^H^H^H Catalina feels like a beta release that's not finished yet. TBH I'd prefer to have stayed on Mojave but I'm not sure it'll work on the 16" -- and in any case how would it be installed?

This morning when coming in to the office early for a phone call, I plugged my 16" MBP into the two USB-C cables for power and the cinema display and it went into an endless loop of 'flash' 'blank' 'black' repeat over a 5 second cycle. Disconnecting the cinema display brought up the screen on the MBP. Connecting it again went back into that cycle.

So I've just done a technique normally reserved for Microsoft... turned it off and back on again. Working now.

So many niggles with this machine. I'm feeling like I'm a beta tester.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Catalina or later are the only OS versions supported on the 16".
Pity. Hopefully we'll have a working version before they inflict the next half-baked "update" to the OS next September.
- - Post merged: - -

Serious one... I've noticed that my laptop, when sitting in my bag overnight, seems to be consuming power. Last night I left the office late, disconnected from the power, etc. and put it in my bag. This morning the machine's warm and only 37% left in the battery.

This is very worrying as the bag, obviously, has no ventilation and the temperature will rise.

eattherich

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Berlin
I have mine connected to an external 4K LG monitor (Thunderbolt to DisplayPort) and a couple of times over the past week I woke the MacBook and the colours were super pale and washed out. I pulled the cable, put it back, and it was fine. Guessing it's software and that it'll be fixed in an upcoming update.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I've been having the occasional issue with the color changing after unlocking / waking from sleep however selecting a different color profile and going back to the original one always solves it.
Yeah I've been having the same issue, have also been resolving it via changing colour profiles. Think it's a Catalina bug.

Reactions: eattherich