Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I haven't tested the Tiger build, but it appears YouTube has changed again and broken SMTube with 403 errors.

There doesn't appear to have been any new source code for over six months?

I no longer have a machine with Macports - and SMTube is now maintained (or was) under it's umbrella - anyone tried installing/updating via Macports?

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Will have a look also by the end of this week the latest , I still have a non Macports and a Macports setup.
[doublepost=1560361442][/doublepost]Indeed both 18.11 and 18.9 on Leopard with MPlayer seem broken, like Dronecatcher stated there hasn't been an updated release so Macports doesn't upgrade neither.

Bizar thing is I had this issue last week on my G5 and thought my install was broken , tried 18.9 on the G5 and it worked, maybe the issue is only with certain videos or a certain output ( I use 360p on the PB) ?

Can anybody else report back if it still works , which video they are able to playback ?

===EDIT 1===
Remembered which video it was on the G5 but doesn't work on the G4

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecatcher

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Apparantly there is a fix on the subversion trunk as of 3 June here

https://app.assembla.com/spaces/smplayer/subversion/source/HEAD/smtube

but since Macports follows Sourceforge which hasn't been updated, no update yet.
@kencu looks like we might be better off following the subversion ?

For all non Macports users, I will see that I can build a version from svn for Tiger & Leopard tomorrow evening.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Works fine on my 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook... :)

Using Leopard or Tiger ?

I'm still rebuilding Macports on Tiger since my Qt4 install was borked and off course in the meanwhile the subversion trunk has been pushed TODAY to sourceforge with a new version number 19.06.

So my compile of yesterday on Leo is already old :) , Macports should pick it up for all Macports users.

Will compile the official sourceforge build this evening on Leo & Tiger and link it to the 1st page.
Also try it on my G5 with the 19.06 build.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Using Leopard or Tiger ?

I'm still rebuilding Macports on Tiger since my Qt4 install was borked and off course in the meanwhile the subversion trunk has been pushed TODAY to sourceforge with a new version number 19.06.

So my compile of yesterday on Leo is already old :) , Macports should pick it up for all Macports users.

Will compile the official sourceforge build this evening on Leo & Tiger and link it to the 1st page.
Also try it on my G5 with the 19.06 build.

Sorry... Leopard.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
A quick update

I will build the 19.06 release for Leo this evening , test it and link it on the first page.

Will also bump the version on Macports and test it.

As for Tiger, once again my install is broken so I ‘ll do a clean install over the next few days and since I have a new CF take an image of it so I don’t have to do this each time again .

nemorigolo

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2019
Hello all,
My friend give me 2 imac g5 (17" 1.8GHz and 20" 2.0GHz).
I do a clean install of leopard and after tryed TTF, Leopard Webkit, TenFiveTupe, YewTube and many other, SMTube is the only app who works very well.
I can watch youtube videos at 720p with no fram drop and the CPU is 50-60%.

Thanks very much for your amazing job.

ps : I really dream for an app like this for Netflix :) ppc compatible

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Looks like SMtube is unable to find Youtube video URL's again, guess it got changed again.

Can anybody confirm this , that 19.6 is no longer working ?

I received a mail on the 21st of January that smtube-20.1.0 was released, so looks that I will have to cook up a new Leopard and Tiger version.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Confirmed 19.6 not working on leopard (and debian & ubuntu).

Thanks just wanted to be sure that my Leopard install didn't get messed up.

New Leopard SMTube 20.1 is available now on the 1st post, please let me know if it works ( it does on my Leopard but that hasn't been a guarantee in the past :) )

Tiger version is zipping up and arriving in a minute.

Reactions: dextructor

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
It´s working for me. Thanks!
Now how i can force a higher resolution for streaming i would like to know. Did someone ever got this solved? I really would like to get 720p or even 1080p for my Cinema Display on my G5 quad.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
The good
It compiles like before when having the prequired packages.

and the bad news

When I open SMTube and try to playback a video it states it cannot find the URL and needs youtube-dl to be installed.
It will prompt you to install youtube-dl and install it under /Users/<yourusername>/bin
But then it still won't playback the video.

By the looks of it , the one-click solution that SMTube offered is gone, will have a further look tomorrow.
I attached the new version for those who want to give it a try or compare it with the previous SMTube 20.1

Attachments

• smtube_20.6_OSX_10.5.zip
    204.8 KB · Views: 116

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
So I played around with SMTube 20.1 a bit further and had a look at the support forum.

Basically what happened was that the author was using the Youtube API to populate tonvid.com.
However his Developer key got suspended due to which he had to use a free key which resulted in tonvid having a lower
bandwith to populate the Youtube URLs.

This is what we perceive as the No URL found for this video in SMTube 20.1.

The author decided to pull the plug on populating Tonvid with the usable Youtube URL's and as such has now removed the Youtube API completely from SMTube, it now has to rely on youtube-dl to first download the video which is then played back by your chose videoplayer. (SMTube 20.6).

Long story short, the one-click directly streaming from Youtube application that SMTube once was, no longer is ...

Has anybody tried the new 20.6 version linked above this post ?
(also noticed you will have to add /Users/<yourusername>/bin to your PATH variable)

neosaga

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
I would like to thank you with the new smtube application, I can continue using my ibook. thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.