'16/M3 and iPad Pro OR M5 and monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidmeta, May 17, 2016.

1. davidmeta, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016

davidmeta macrumors newbie

Hi all

I think I know the answer to this question, but just to confirm... With edu discount in the UK I can buy the base M3 rMB and an 9" iPad Pro 128 for just over £1400

For similar money I can get the M5 base and a decent external monitor, plus the hub to connect the iPad to, as well as USB drives etc. with a bit of cash left over from 1400 (total would be around £1350)

I think I'm gonna go with the former of these two options for the following reasons, do you agree?:

- iPad Pro can be used as external monitor using Duet, which I already own. This will also allow a dual screen format on the go, which cannot be achieved with an external monitor
    - The extra storage on the iPad compensates for the lower 256gb on the M3 and I can make do with 256 + 128 in the former combo
    - I can hook up soft synths (I own many) using the pro to the rMB with a larger screen than on my current retina iPad mini
    - I love the idea of buying the Apple pencil once I can afford it in a month or so
    - From what I've read here and elsewhere, I do not think the m5 is noticeably more powerful than the m3. Power hungry software is Ableton and Affinity Photo, which I think will be fine.

Hubs and Apple pencil can be bought at a later date, once I can afford them...

Thanks for reading :)

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I honestly think, as this sounds like it is going to be your main rig, that you should go for at least a 13" rMBP.

Try and hold out till WWDC this June; Apple may be releasing lighter macbook pros which as we know, are already similarly priced to the rMB.

3. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

In real world usage scenarios, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between the m3 and m5/m7. It's a very capable little processor even on the lower end.

It sounds like you're much more fascinated by the idea of having an iPad Pro, in which case I say go for it. A portable monitor sounds much more useful, especially if you can do so wirelessly which would keep that USB-C port free for peripherals.

4. davidmeta thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been considering that, but even a current 13" MBA is significantly heavier and bigger than the rMacbook. The latter can be taken anywhere, most of the time - that aspect to it is very appealing = photography editing on the fly, much more often + music creation on the fly, much more often....
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2016 ---
    Well Duet works via the lightening cable (at least I think that's correct; regardless, it will be the most stable connection). That can be achieved with a simple USB-C to A converter, about £8 on Amazon... Yes like the iPad Pro, it is immensely powerful too, played about with it in the AStore and it flies for creative software/games etc.