Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

16" MBP Screen brightness

jamespb78

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Received my 16" MBP yesterday.

How do people generally find the brightness of the screen? I am finding I am having to operate on about 95% brightness for work during the day, and 100% brightness if I am doing photo work.

I have True Tone, dim on battery and auto brightness all turned off.

I know panels can very between units. I don't have any means of measuring the nits of my MBP, so that's why I was wondering what brightness setting do most of you use?

My 2011 MacBook Air also runs on 100% brightness. I believe that screen is only meant to be 350 nits VS 500 nits of the 16" MBP.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I keep mine on about 40 per cent day and night - always perfect for me. That's with TT activated. I got mine last November at launch.

Comment

jamespb78

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
40% ?! Either our units are drastically different, or your working in a pitch black room!

Comment

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008

How do people generally find the brightness of the screen? I am finding I am having to operate on about 95% brightness for work during the day, and 100% brightness if I am doing photo work.

I know panels can very between units. I don't have any means of measuring the nits of my MBP, so that's why I was wondering what brightness setting do most of you use?

My 2011 MacBook Air also runs on 100% brightness. I believe that screen is only meant to be 350 nits VS 500 nits of the 16" MBP.

I feel that mine is the sale way. I Have mine between 75-90% during the day. I know it’s bad to keep the screen brightness up, so I try.

I’m in this for an update.

Comment

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012

I find the screen is very bright, so I tend to set the brightness around 45-60% with true tone, auto brightness, and dim on battery turn on.

I used to have the 13" MacBook Air 2011, I found that screen was quite dim. If my memory serves me correctly, at that time I set the brightness about 2-3 bars below the maximum.
Then I upgraded to 2012 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display, then 2017 15" MacBook Pro, and finally the 16" MacBook Pro. All of them I always set the brightness around the same level.

I think I've watched a youtube video that claimed his 16" MacBook Pro only produces 400 nits. Sorry I can't remember the channel, will update if I found it again.

Edit: found the video watch by Mobile Tech Review.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.