16-percent of computer users are unaffected by viruses, malw...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Can Mac users really make up that much of all web surfers? It seems a little inflated IMO.

Also, how about various versions of Linux? Surely they'd make up some of this percentage.

Anyway, it's a promising article. :)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Yadia, yadia, yadia. Same old poor Windows users. Reminds of that hip 80's song, "and so the conversation turned, until the sun went down, and many fantasies were learned, on that day. Keep feeling fascination, fashion burning, love so strong." ....something like that.

I don't know why though....

Further, Macintosh software comprises over 18% of all software sold, according to the Software and Information Industry Association. In addition, the Software Publishers Association (SPA) estimates that 16 percent of computer users are on Macs.
Someone's nose is growing very long....

[edit] The slashdot article made this a bit more believeable.

ALoLA

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2003
Greater Los Angeles Area
Over at PriusChat.com, they had a poll to see how many there use Apple Computers. Of the 233 that responded, 113 (48%) chose "yes". I think there are more Mac users out there than the market share numbers suggest. :cool:

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
ALoLA said:
Over at PriusChat.com, they had a poll to see how many there use Apple Computers. Of the 233 that responded, 113 (48%) chose "yes". I think there are more Mac users out there than the market share numbers suggest. :cool:
I'd tend to trust statistics without a bias, or such a small sample size.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I have a belief that different region hold very different concentrations of mac users. For example. In New York there is a very high concentration of macs there because of the demographic of open minded people. Here in my home town down in La. there is a much lower concentration of macs. I fix many computers in my area and I might have seen 5.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Blackheart said:
So, the lesson is:

If you want to get your news 10 days late, then get it from Macbytes first.

If, however, you'd like to get it in a timely manner then stay tuned to slashdot
if you thought it should have been here sooner, why didn't you submit it then?

Blackheart said:
I'd tend to trust statistics without a bias, or such a small sample size.
I agree - if they got their sample from the audience at Steve's Keynote at WWDC, there's gonna a be quite a skew in the numbers.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Marketshare is always going to seem skewed. Think of all the people who still have perfectly usable Macs that are several years old vs. PCs that get upgraded often because they are commoditized. They can be cheap, they can break easily, quickly "outdated", used as cash registers, etc. Think of all the business PCs out there. Sales marketshare is going to be around 2%, while usage is more around 10% (or more). It's at least 5%, fogetting even the people who have Macs and Windows.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Daveway said:
I have a belief that different region hold very different concentrations of mac users. For example. In New York there is a very high concentration of macs there because of the demographic of open minded people. Here in my home town down in La. there is a much lower concentration of macs. I fix many computers in my area and I might have seen 5.
demographics, yes. NY vs LA on the open mindedness scale, iffy. I mean, come on, us on the west side are the genetic ancestors of those open-minded souls that said "what the h*ll, let's move out west even if half of us die"

Or so I like to think ;)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blackheart said:
So, the lesson is:

If you want to get your news 10 days late, then get it from Macbytes first.

If, however, you'd like to get it in a timely manner then stay tuned to slashdot
Macbytes is pretty good as long as you know when Mudbug will be posting the news links. Although I would agree with Mudbug, if you see a new thread somewhere else that is not listed here then post a link to it. Mudbug seems to post about 3 times a day; am, evening and late night/am.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Applespider said:
Someone did post this last week on MR but not with such a glaring headline. The thread died a death because no-one believed it...
Well it looks like I did ok when I posted it on MacBytes :) :rolleyes:

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Daveway said:
Liberal demographic does not equal open minded, have you ever talked to a Yankee fan?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Earendil said:
demographics, yes. NY vs LA on the open mindedness scale, iffy. I mean, come on, us on the west side are the genetic ancestors of those open-minded souls that said "what the h*ll, let's move out west even if half of us die"

Or so I like to think ;)
I'll chalk it up to it being early in the morning. He means Louisiana.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
More great news.

Another great thing mentioned in this article is the pending release of AT&T Natural Voices for Mac. These are the most realistic voices available for computer. I used to play jokes on my friends with those running on a wintel :( machine.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Figures don't lie, but liars can figure

The statistic cited is a bit misleading.

They say that 16% of computer users use Macs.

Maybe true, but this does not imply that 16% of computers in service are Macs, even though that's the impression they'd like you to have.

Many people own multiple computers of different types. (I, for instance, own and use several Macs and PCs). So the percentage of users that own Macs, plus the percentage that own PC's will add up to more than 100%.

Nevertheless, it is still an interesting figure.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Daveway said:
Yadia, yadia, yadia. Same old poor Windows users. Reminds of that hip 80's song, "and so the conversation turned, until the sun went down, and many fantasies were learned, on that day. Keep feeling fascination, fashion burning, love so strong." ....something like that.

I don't know why though....

Someone's nose is growing very long....

[edit] The slashdot article made this a bit more believeable.

What?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
And I will say this

Corporations throw the market share off, WAAAY off. 16% isn't pie in the sky, and I'd also wager that 10% of CONSUMERS is practically a shoe in. THe microsofts and Dells of the world purposely lump consumer and corporate purchses together to make themselves seem more dominant than they actually are.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
shamino said:
The statistic cited is a bit misleading.

They say that 16% of computer users use Macs.

Maybe true, but this does not imply that 16% of computers in service are Macs, even though that's the impression they'd like you to have.

Many people own multiple computers of different types. (I, for instance, own and use several Macs and PCs). So the percentage of users that own Macs, plus the percentage that own PC's will add up to more than 100%.

Nevertheless, it is still an interesting figure.
I think the main point of this article is about consumer vs commercial use although it doesn't explicitly say so. Let's face it, the majority of computers in work environments are PCs. So, it makes sense to me that there is a higher percentage of home Mac users than there are Mac users as a percentage of all PCs in use.

The software percentage is interesting though. Is this just a reflection of the stagnation of windows over the last few years or?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Ugg said:
I think the main point of this article is about consumer vs commercial use although it doesn't explicitly say so. Let's face it, the majority of computers in work environments are PCs. So, it makes sense to me that there is a higher percentage of home Mac users than there are Mac users as a percentage of all PCs in use.

The software percentage is interesting though. Is this just a reflection of the stagnation of windows over the last few years or?
A friend of mine runs a software consulting firm, and from the vibe that he's gotten, the software numbers are indicative of the willingness of PC users to download pirated software. He says that the precentage of people with pirated apps is far higher than the percentage of consumers with legitimate apps.

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
"Macintosh software comprises over 18% of all software sold"

That is more important than the 16% of users. If we sell software, then we become a viable platform that make more developers want to write software for the mac, then inturn more people want to switch to Mac.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
MacBytes said:
16-percent of computer users are unaffected by viruses, malware because they use Apple Macs[/url]
Yah and I'm one of them....scary thought isn't it? A Windows user who has gotten one virus in his life and that was back on Windows 3.11. A boot sector virus from a floppy of all things.
Safe computing practices, a good firewall, a good browser, and AV software go a LOOOONG way.