16-Year-Old Arrested For Pro-WikiLeaks Cyber Attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I guess it's not quite as easy to be anonymous as some might like....link;

2. 184550 Guest

It'll be interesting to see how some members rationalize his involvement and complain about the travesty that is justice.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

How true--often a matter of how bad they want to find you--and if they really, really want to, chances are they will. :cool:

5. kolax macrumors G3

I hate the media spinning "pro WikiLeaks hackers" as being associate with WikiLeaks themselves.

I'm sure there'll say that Islamic Extremists are now supporting WikiLeaks and that WikiLeaks are terrorists..

6. Macky-Mac, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

mama grizzley under cyber attack! :p

link

indeed, there's really no basis to say that unless there's an actual link that can be shown

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sarahpac was a temporary target last night,they took it offline and moved on Paypal is staggering at the moment.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Doesn't matter. Arrest one and ten more will replace him. It seems the US government has learned nothing on how to deal with people who believe in a cause. The State Department's actions will lead to the attacks and leaks growing rather than silencing anyone.

9. 184550 Guest

I wasn't aware we had any jurisdiction in the Netherlands.

10. Queso macrumors G4

You honestly think that matters to the people doing the attacks?

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Shades of Robin Hood.

Are cyber attacks the current equivalent of the long bow??

Damn Prince John, and his tax collectors. :mad:

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Nope. The whole wikileaks operation is misguided and irresponsible at best, so I wouldn't expect anyone supporting it to really be able to understand something so simple.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is Anonymous's doing. It's funny and incredibly sad to see how misunderstood that particular phenomena is misunderstood by the media. They act as if its some sort of organized group whenever they report on them (remember the awesome scientology protests?).

The funny thing is the more they provoke Anonymous, the harder Anonymous will strike back. Don't provoke the internet, it doesn't end well for you.

14. Queso macrumors G4

I disagree about the Wikileaks reports being misguided and irresponsible. There is no reason why this material should not be in the public domain, and most of it is anyway. If the governments involved have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear right?

As to the attacks when pressure from the US government can be seen as driving a non-US web entity off the Web only the very naive would expect there to be no reprisals whatsoever. As I've posted on another thread this evening your Congress and these diplomatic cables are showing your government up as corrupt and self-serving. The timing of the Assange arrest on a case that was previously dropped is also very suspicious, and these things together are getting a lot of people's backs up. The best thing the State Department can do right now is back off and let Wikileaks carry on publishing what they have. Otherwise this is going to snowball beyond their ability to influence it.

15. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I assume you've had a clearance? From your post, it's quite clear that you have NOT. And God help us if you ever get one.

16. Queso macrumors G4

I'm amazed you see the world as so threatened by the reporting of a previous leak of some mildly-classified diplomatic cables.

Get some perspective. This is hardly the latest military secrets being exposed. Although bearing just how ridiculously bad information controls appear to be within the US government I'm sure it won't be long before they appear anyway. Governments across the world must run rampant through your top secret files on a daily basis.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I still don't understand why half of this crap is classified anyway. My god, a foreign leader has a thing for beautiful women? Better classify it. :rolleyes:

18. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. And apparently Prince Andrew is arrogant and a bit rude. Whoopy doo, who'd have guessed? :rolleyes:

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Governments need to be able to talk about each other without the other one knowing. It's essential to negotiation. Don't tell me that you've never negotiated anything before and needed to keep certain things just to yourself.

Corrupt? In what way? I haven't read any cables that expose corruption.

Read this: Link

Assange is no hero.

Why people are upset is because releasing these cables does nothing but make allies upset at each other. What's the point? You want allies to get mad at each other for silly things like this so that they don't work together for peace? Why would you undermine friendships in the name of some idiotic ideals that mean nothing? All this does is keep diplomatic corps from being honest with their superiors.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh I don't know, exposing flat out lies and atrocities seems to come to mind. Not all of this is TMZ style crap, a good amount has at least some substance to it.

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yes, but Assange didn't just leak those things. He leaked everything with no reason whatsoever. That's what people are upset about, the indiscriminate way in which he dumped these with no thought of the innocent people that will be harmed. As Clinton said, at least some innocent people's careers will be ruined, and we hope not, but it's likely that some innocent people's lives will be lost because of the moronic way that Assange did this.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you'd rather they cherry pick and construct narratives and release them to the public in that fashion?

We already have a mainstream media and government to do that for us.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

If you want to actually do some good and expose actual problems, yes. Or, you could do what Assange did and indiscriminately dump everything and have innocent people's lives be put on the line for no gain whatsoever, while the mainstream media constructs a narrative that reads like a TMZ article, again for no gain whatsoever.

Assange has failed miserably in doing any sort of good in releasing these documents. I'm not against releasing documents as a principle. I'm against Wikileaks and the stupid things they decided to release with no thought to consequences.

EDIT: Woodward didn't release all POTUS classified documents to nail Nixon, he released what was relevant. To release more would have been stupid and irresponsible.

24. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there isn't any chance you could get sarahpac back on the list???? just as a favor???? :p

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The point is to get the people to actually look into these things themselves. That is the point of a data dump. I've personally been reading alot of these at random on the site and it paints a good picture of the behind the scenes crap that is going on. There are plenty of "actual problems" exposed in these. Take the Obama Administrations lobbying Russia on behalf of credit card companies here because of a potential loss of revenue. If you personally don't want to look into these logs and find out what is going on fine, your not the type of person that this is meant for in the first place then.

I'm gonna have to ask, but can you point me to any specific document that endangers peoples lives currently? I realize they screwed up with the Afghan logs but this time around they've been working for months to redact personal information with news agencies such as The Guardian.

Wikileaks asked the State Department for help and guidelines in what kind of information should be redacted as to not endanger people, but they refused.