16-year-old genius and Mac geek enters Junior year at UC Ber...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wow, what I wouldn't have given to skip 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades :D

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
slim_jim55 said:
i smell a movie
And the conflict? His lack of good friends his age and lack of loving relationships leads him to use his knowledge to take the world hostage for 100 million dollars! Dr Mac Genius is just yet to rename himself Dr Evil

Ok so I'm bored and just watched Austin Powers but yea...

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
congratulations, and i wish him the best of luck, but i wouldnt prais him like this article does

not cause of jelosy, but because i dont think its needed

to me its a form of autistic / mental retardation

perfect example: the movie Rain Man (which i beleive was a true story) -- total sociopath but could pound out a math equation without thinking twice about it

is there a need for people like this ? sure. if einstain had been around now - with computers / electronics how they are, im sure he would have been on the same educational path, but i dont think it warents praising

id love to work for apple also, but this kid would probably be better at Sony or some government agency - skunkworks or the like.

im sure im gonna get crap for these comments - i really wish him the best of luck, but to praise a mental disorder, which he could have (if 9/10ths of us need to take notes, study, and a select few dont - somethings wrong), i think is wrong

2 cents - thats all
-Mario

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
"A friend of mine graduated from high school as valedictorian with a 5.0 GPA," Scott said. "And even though he's an example of education excellence . . . incredibly, Berkeley turned him down."
I know plenty of people from my high school class who had 4.0 grade point averages who ended up at some hell and gone UW satellite school. 4.0 dosesn't mean jack if you're not taking hard classes.

Hell, I know a girl in college who has a 4.0 and can't get into med school...she is a science major, took the kaplan review course, and could only muster a 24 on the MCAT. How the hell does that work?! If 4.0 meant something, it should mean that she should at least be able to pass (get a decent grade on) that test.

His youth and intellect have made him an instant celebrity in the dormitory.
Read: dork.

"In the past I haven't had much of an opportunity to have fun," Scott said. "I haven't really gone to concerts like my sister. But I think here things will be different."
Wow, something tells me this kid would be one of the least fun people to hang out with in college. But, that won't be too big of a problem for him, he has his computer (like so many of my comp. sci "friends").

"Hey Mom and Dad, I'm going to give up my childhood and formative years in high school to go to college way too early and play with computers. Yay! I'm not too concerned with giving up life experiences for the breakneck speed of education...Life is a race and I'm going to be the fastest!"

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Fiveos22 said:
I know plenty of people from my high school class who had 4.0 grade point averages who ended up at some hell and gone UW satellite school. 4.0 dosesn't mean jack if you're not taking hard classes.
I think that all schools should have weighted GPAs. At our school, a 100 in a regular class is a 5.0 (a 99 is a 4.9) and a 100 in an AP/Pre-AP class is a 6.0 (a 99 is a 5.9). Really separates the ones who try and the ones who breeze through.

And another thing is that colleges do not always necessarily look at your grade, but at the classes you take...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wish Scott all the best with his future. Not easy to be 16 and a Junior in college. So far he is dealing well academically and socially.

I hope that he will get a job at Apple. Provide all of his knowledge and talent to the future of the Mac.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
ham_man said:
I think that all schools should have weighted GPAs. At our school, a 100 in a regular class is a 5.0 (a 99 is a 4.9) and a 100 in an AP/Pre-AP class is a 6.0 (a 99 is a 5.9). Really separates the ones who try and the ones who breeze through.

And another thing is that colleges do not always necessarily look at your grade, but at the classes you take...

Man.. Why am I still stuck with 5.0 and 4.0 classes? I'm in AP Calculus and it's only worth 5 points... (well, 6, if I get a 100, but who am I kidding?) a 99 isn't a 5.9, it's a FIVE, no protests, no nothing.

Grr. Stupid school. I'd have a 4.92 instead of my measly 3.92 if we did stuff like that...

Boo urns, BOO URNS!

/damn you, arts school!
//still getting a Ph.D in economics. ..even with a 3.9

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
Good for him, hope it goes well.
But going to college at that age, does anyone else foresee him living in a cardboard box and being addicted to heroin by 20?

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
katie ta achoo said:
Man.. Why am I still stuck with 5.0 and 4.0 classes? I'm in AP Calculus and it's only worth 5 points... (well, 6, if I get a 100, but who am I kidding?) a 99 isn't a 5.9, it's a FIVE, no protests, no nothing.

Grr. Stupid school. I'd have a 4.92 instead of my measly 3.92 if we did stuff like that...

Boo urns, BOO URNS!

/damn you, arts school!
//still getting a Ph.D in economics. ..even with a 3.9
measly 3.92??? ok w/e. :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I detect a vein of jealousy and anti-intellectualism here.

Is moving off to college early a potentially damaging life trauma? Yes. So is high school! So is having your parents divorce. So is being in a serious accident. Life is full of challenges--and I don't think we should judge someone for taking one on. How bored would he be in high school? It would be absurd to expect that of him. A waste.

And to say you know he has a mental illness--or imply you know he is an unpleasant person--says more about the person making the comment. We don't know they guy. Different is different, not bad!

SupraMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
Berkeley, CA
2GMario said:
congratulations, and i wish him the best of luck, but i wouldnt prais him like this article does

not cause of jelosy, but because i dont think its needed

to me its a form of autistic / mental retardation

perfect example: the movie Rain Man (which i beleive was a true story) -- total sociopath but could pound out a math equation without thinking twice about it

is there a need for people like this ? sure. if einstain had been around now - with computers / electronics how they are, im sure he would have been on the same educational path, but i dont think it warents praising

id love to work for apple also, but this kid would probably be better at Sony or some government agency - skunkworks or the like.

im sure im gonna get crap for these comments - i really wish him the best of luck, but to praise a mental disorder, which he could have (if 9/10ths of us need to take notes, study, and a select few dont - somethings wrong), i think is wrong

2 cents - thats all
-Mario
Way to go. Indeed, it's entirely logical to consider the deviant ones under the influence of a disorder. This post would be offensive even if it were not directed at myself.

Fiveos22 said:
Quote:
His youth and intellect have made him an instant celebrity in the dormitory.

Read: dork.

Quote:
"In the past I haven't had much of an opportunity to have fun," Scott said. "I haven't really gone to concerts like my sister. But I think here things will be different."

Wow, something tells me this kid would be one of the least fun people to hang out with in college. But, that won't be too big of a problem for him, he has his computer (like so many of my comp. sci "friends").

"Hey Mom and Dad, I'm going to give up my childhood and formative years in high school to go to college way too early and play with computers. Yay! I'm not too concerned with giving up life experiences for the breakneck speed of education...Life is a race and I'm going to be the fastest!"
This is perhaps more presumptuous than the last post! Since when has "celebrity" directly implied "reject" or "curiousity?" I'm not the stereotypical nerd; not in appearance nor behaviors.

Community college is not much of a community in itself. One has a class with another who one will only ever see in that class; they certainly don't live on campus, for instance. Here, I have a roommate and suitemates, and with them built a sprawling social network just days after arriving here. The topology, and otherwise logistics of the system here radically differ from that of a JC, and it shows.

wdlove said:
I wish Scott all the best with his future. Not easy to be 16 and a Junior in college. So far he is dealing well academically and socially.

I hope that he will get a job at Apple. Provide all of his knowledge and talent to the future of the Mac.
Thanks for the support. As is readily evidenced by any thread about me, the negative tends to extinguish the positive.

ppc_micheal said:
I knew two guys with similar stories. Long story short, they were asses. Real asses.
Most consider me a reasonably pleasant person. I never talk about my achivements unless it's the actual topic at hand, as it is during any interview or a thread about me. Most people never have an idea of my age, and have no reason to consider me an ass. Those that do probably wish they could've done the same, as there are fleetingly few reasons to hate me outright; in fact, the only people I've found that do criticize me in such ways have never met me, and are universally present in threads like this one. Maybe there really is something about meeting someone in person rather than reading a few paragraphs about them... :rolleyes:

nagromme said:
I detect a vein of jealousy and anti-intellectualism here.

Is moving off to college early a potentially damaging life trauma? Yes. So is high school! So is having your parents divorce. So is being in a serious accident. Life is full of challenges--and I don't think we should judge someone for taking one on. How bored would he be in high school? It would be absurd to expect that of him. A waste.

And to say you know he has a mental illness--or imply you know he is an unpleasant person--says more about the person making the comment. We don't know they guy. Different is different, not bad!
Again, thank you for both the direct support and defense of logic. Always refreshing :)

For those that don't already hate me, Berkeley's Engineering News decided to do a story on me. It has some different information, though you can see my new workspace is largely similar to the previous photo :) (though there are a couple new LaCie drives, and the OSx86 box is working more efficiently)

Cheers, to Apple and the Macintosh platform,

-- Scott Goodson

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Going to college so young isn't something I could do (hell, it's hard enough to not be 21!), but I applaud anyone who is able to do this. I did enjoy being bored as hell in high school, getting a 4.0 and ditching to get Starbucks, but when you think about this isn't necessarily a better path.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
as soon as i saw this thread title i thought of 'michael' from teh joey show :D

good luck to him :) as someone who's left school, i feel it was the biggest mistake i've ever made (socially). maybe the experience isn't the same everywhere, who knows..

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
SupraMan said:
berkeley.edu/engnews/Fall05/EN05F/junior.html]Berkeley's Engineering News decided to do a story on me.[/URL] It has some different information, though you can see my new workspace is largely similar to the previous photo :) (though there are a couple new LaCie drives, and the OSx86 box is working more efficiently)

Cheers, to Apple and the Macintosh platform,

-- Scott Goodson
A very nice article Scott, congratulations. Since I live here in Boston, would certainly like to meet you at some point. It would be a privilege. Maybe at a coffee shop?