16 year old girl challenges Bachman to debate, gets death threats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 20, 2011.

1. yg17, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Edit:
    Stay classy what in my opinion is the tea party although I can't say for certainty even though I would wager every penny to my name on it.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110520/NEWS01/105200345/Cherry-Hill-student-s-challenge-Tea-Party-champion-Michele-Bachmann-prompts-threats-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Just a bunch of peaceful, freedom loving Americans protesting high taxes, right? :rolleyes:

2. Surely, May 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011

Surely Guest

Surely

The tea party just don't shock me anymore.

Their craziness has become predictable. Here's how to figure them out: determine what makes sense, and then do the opposite.

3. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

4. leekohler, May 20, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- the TEA Party is just a bunch of reg'lar folk. Whatever. We know what they are by what they do, not what they say.

BTW- did you read the comments on that page? Wow- not one person would condemn people for threatening this girl. People are ****ing sick.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

To play devil's advocate, anonymous posts in the comments section of any website, regardless of political affiliation, tend to not represent the best aspects of our society. :)

That said, death threats of any kind from anybody are uncalled for.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The Tea Party started out as a fairly legitimate movement with good questions about how the government has handled (mostly economic) policy. However, it has degraded into nothing more than a collection of angry, bigoted, childish and violent red necks who hate the fact that we have a black President.

The Tea Party is basically America's equivalent of the Nazi Party.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

[​IMG]

Appropriate time for my fav gif

This girl has some courage...

8. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

I invoke Godwin's Law.

This comparison is entirely false, uncalled for, and diminishes the evil perpetuated by the Nazi Party. That comparison is the rhetorical equivalent of comparing a love tap with a shot to the face. Not. Even. Equivalent.

:mad:

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, it's the Total F**wad Theory .

I think the violence and bigotry is a part of the Tea Party, but I also think you're overstating your case.

The Tea Party is basically America's equivalent of the Nazi Party.[/QUOTE]

Now, I'm sure.

The Tea Party is a loose collection of Republican factions built up around a sudden concern for the deficit made apparent by the faltering economy. While the Tea Party manages to cobble members from the anti-immigrant crowd, pro-business types, libertarians (big and small L), gun-nuts, and a contingent of crypto-racists, it's primary signifier is economic policy.

A lack of introspection and a tendency to demonize is definitely part of the group, but to compare them to the Nazi party is nuts.

10. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Looks like the dad posted a comment

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's really sad is you know the 16 year old would embarrass the hell out of Bachmann in a debate.

13. leekohler, May 20, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be kidding. Who do you think it is? Liberals? :rolleyes: Bachmann is a TEA Party politician. It stands to reason that TEA Party members are posting comments such as these. And gee- Bachmann could come out and say something about this, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

My cat could embarrass Michelle Bachmann in a debate.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If Bachman's supporters are so stupid as to make threats of violence against a 16 year old exercising the constitutional right of free speech, then they certainly will not be able to critically analyze Bachman's incorrect interpretation of the Constitution.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I must say that I've noticed that as well.

The internet has become the preferred vehicle for expressing our worst nature.

:(

Way to go, pops.

16. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I think perhaps the Tea Party has peaked. I hope the view is nice under the bus.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You're making a fundamental error here that people desperately need to be more aware of. In reality, it is the tendency to brand the Nazi Party as an unassailable summit of human evil that entirely undermines the lessons we should take from that episode of history. Men, women and children who followed the ideals of the Nazi Party were human beings just like you, and in overwhelming majority good human beings, just like you. They thought they were doing the right and necessary thing, being strong to ensure the strength of their nation and thereby their own welfare and that of their loved ones, and supporting the leaders they believed would best effect that. If we do not recognize in ourselves the potential to become that, then the words "never again" are nothing more than a slogan.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Tea Party = Right wing republican extremist and nothing more. Meanwhile Republicans vote for big oil subsidies and not for lowering the deficit. Its OK to throw Billions at big Oil, Its not ok to throw Billions at Healthcare.

This 16 year old girl is simply letting these Republicans show us who they are, and who they represent and its not us.

19. citizenzen, May 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Tea Party = Right wing republican extremist

No need to overstate it. They're on the right of the right-wing.

"Extremists" hints of evilness. I don't think your average Tea Partier is evil.

20. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

However, it is also the tendency for people to brand groups of people they strongly disagree with as Nazis.

I agree with you that the level of evil that the Nazis acheived is not a one-time thing. But its too common in our rehetoric these days to call the "opposing party" (whoever that may be for you in particular) Nazis, un-american, communists, or something similar.

That is the bigger problem. We as a country are too busy spewing hate at groups that aren't necessarily evil, that when true evil comes along it can easily hide in the background.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Rebecca Black got death threats for her single "Friday", tea party then?

I heard Lady Gaga got death threats too!

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, because that's the same.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

yup, we should have let the south stay separate in the civil war. then we could send all these crazies there.

props to this girl for having the balls that many people in this country dont

24. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Right. But at the same time, to compare a group of hate-spewing people who haven't been very effective at much of anything other than generating sound-bites to the Nazi Party doesn't really do anyone any favors. I'm not saying that there aren't parallels to be drawn, but blanket statements like "The Tea Party is the American Nazi Party" is patently absurd, and to paint one's ideological opponents with a broad brush like that isn't going to get us anywhere.

25. codymac macrumors 6502

Far too much generalizing going on at both ends.

And besides, the Nazis dressed better.