160gb INTEL SSD SATA II for 164 dollars a good deal?

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
i wanted a sata III but there still expensive.

intel has a 5 year warrenty and with the rebates etc, 160gb for 164 dollars SSD seems tempting.

is it worth it? or spend more on a SATA II?

i ahve a 15inch 2011 macbook pro

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
In benchmarks, sata III ssds are twice as fast, as one would expect. During normal use, the differences between sata II and III are much less noticeable.

The 160GB intel seems like a good deal. It gives you 32 extra GB before you have to worry about which apps and data to move to external storage or optibay. And the technology seems more stable.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Im looking at this, find my other thread decided to go with the Samsung its worth the extra $50 any day of the week, nearly 2x as fast.

I called these guys it will be in stock in 1 to 2 weeks:
http://www.adorama.com/SSGMZ7PC128N.html

Killer deal.
foR usa buyers in stock now.

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MZ7PC128ZD

use code rally 224 - 20 = 204

or buy it bare bones

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MZ-7PC128Z

199.99 buy a usb cable to go over 200

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=ST-USB_AF3 .99

total 200.98 then use RALLY code for 20 off 180.98

IN STOCK NOW!

mnpackerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
I'm interested in the Intel deal too. Are you referring to the newegg.com rebate, or is it that price on another website?

I have a late 2008 MBP, so I don't think the speed difference in the Samsung would really affect me.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
I'm interested in the Intel deal too. Are you referring to the newegg.com rebate, or is it that price on another website?

I have a late 2008 MBP, so I don't think the speed difference in the Samsung would really affect me.
ye part of the deal is a mail in rebate so eventually u get that price lol

matt94gt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria BC Canada
Yes those samsung are much quicker then the intel.

Those links you posted appear to be the DESKTOP version? Not sure about the bulk one can anyone confirm? Also that coupon code does not work for the bulk one.

IE: MZ7PC128ZD vs MZ7PC128ZN

Last edited:

UFO212

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Yes those samsung are much quicker then the intel.

Those links you posted appear to be the DESKTOP version? Not sure about the bulk one can anyone confirm? Also that coupon code does not work for the bulk one.

IE: MZ7PC128ZD vs MZ7PC128ZN
I just called to check.. those are DESKTOP version and they do not have laptop version availble

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California

You probably wouldn't notice the difference. If you do hardcore work it will shave a few seconds off whatever you're doing, but it's marginal. Especially on a 2008 MBP, the processor and GPU will limit you before any modern SSD(on most tasks). Any SSD will be a huge improvement.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
You probably wouldn't notice the difference. If you do hardcore work it will shave a few seconds off whatever you're doing, but it's marginal. Especially on a 2008 MBP, the processor and GPU will limit you before any modern SSD(on most tasks). Any SSD will be a huge improvement.
what abot 2011 macbook pros

200mb/s compared to 400-500mb/s, not must differnecE?

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
what abot 2011 macbook pros

200mb/s compared to 400-500mb/s, not must differnecE?
Oh it's a big difference if you're moving gigabytes of data on a regular basis. Not many people move that much data around at once though. And i doubt most people could tell the difference by just using them for their ordinary tasks.

Unless you work with/render very large files, i don't see the need. However, if you can afford a sataIII and plan to keep it for a long time then it will buy you some future proofing.

What will you be doing with the machine? What are like the top 5 things you do on it?

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Oh it's a big difference if you're moving gigabytes of data on a regular basis. Not many people move that much data around at once though. And i doubt most people could tell the difference by just using them for their ordinary tasks.

Unless you work with/render very large files, i don't see the need. However, if you can afford a sataIII and plan to keep it for a long time then it will buy you some future proofing.

What will you be doing with the machine? What are like the top 5 things you do on it?
normal stuff from youtubing with a bunch of tabs on firefox (firefox uses a ton) and office.

i run a partnered youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/randomrazr) so from time to time i use imovie to edit and render videos. i just want more speed out of my quad core macbook pro 15inch lol. the r/w speeds on the stock seagate 500gb hard drive is 50mb/s around there haha

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
ontario

theres a "newegg.ca" but the samsung isnt on sale on the canadian website.

blows....i want an SSD in my 2011 15inch macbook. the stock hard drive handy capps the entire machine lol
If you are in BC i could sell you mine! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.