160GB Shows only 16GB available but has 90GB available???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mark J, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Mark J macrumors newbie

My internal hard Drive 160GB running osx 10.4 is showing only 16GB available yet when I ad up all the main folders i.e. applications, users, system, past system etc. it comes to around 70GB.

Seems like there's some kind of phantom files(75GB worth) that show up in "Get Info" but are nowhere to be found.

Anyone had similar issue or can shed some light on this? Thanks

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Have you checked the Trash? It doesn't automatically get emptied.

3. Mark J thread starter macrumors newbie

there is a large grey region called "space occupied by other files and folders" it's 92.5GB, this does not correspond to the color coded grey files on the left that total about 5GB. This space/files cannot be opened in finder and no information is available on it. Mmmm..

4. Mark J thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just tried OmniDiskSweeper (very cool) and it tells me that there is on 41.3 GB on the disk, though my mac reads it as 132GB? I see that something is wrong but no idea how to fix it. Ideas welcome

5. NEAME macrumors member

NEAME

simple solution is to backup everything and erase your hd. Then re-sinstall from backup piece by piece. Of course if you want to view ghost files, this option will not work.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just for the heck of it, try Grand Perspective (another free disk usage mapper like DiskInventory X) and compare the results. Perhaps it will be more successful at identifying the mystery files/usage.