Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

peteroppenheimer.png
Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer sold 37,172 shares of Apple stock on Wednesday as part of a SEC Rule 10b5-1 scheduled trading plan implemented in November of 2011. The sale was disclosed in a filing with the SEC.

The sale took place the day after Apple's July earnings announcement, a profitable choice for Oppenheimer as Apple's stock jumped from $420/share to $440/share following the earnings release. The sale was executed at an average share price of $440.31.

The shares were acquired by Oppenheimer in June as part of a bonus award originally granted in November 2011.

Oppenheimer remains in possession of 4,834 shares currently worth $2.1 million. As of earlier this year, Apple executives -- other than Tim Cook -- are required to hold three times their annual base salary in Apple stock. Oppenheimer's base pay is $800,000 per year, meaning he would be required to hold $2.4 million in stock, though because of variances in Apple's stock price, Oppenheimer is likely still complying with the new requirements.

The transaction was made in accordance with SEC Rule 10b5-1, which means the executive notified the SEC of a plan to sell shares months ahead of the sale to avoid any accusations of insider trading.

Article Link: Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Sells $16.4 Million in AAPL Stock

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I got to meet and speak personally with Mr. Oppenheimer while attending Cal Poly. Really enjoyed getting to speak with him. His presentation was much more entertaining than Tim Cook giving a keynote.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I got to meet and speak personally with Mr. Oppenheimer while attending Cal Poly. Really enjoyed getting to speak with him. His presentation was much more entertaining than Tim Cook giving a keynote.

Interesting.

Tim Cook isn't much of a presenter, I don't want to go as far as saying "his passion is lacking for the products" but there's definitely something off. He just doesn't have "it".

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

Interesting.

Tim Cook isn't much of a presenter, I don't want to go as far as saying "his passion is lacking for the products" but there's definitely something off. He just doesn't have "it".

You have to hand it to Tim thaqt he was much better in the last keynote.

Significant changes in rhythm & accent are more than evident.

He must have been seriously coached.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Interesting.

He's not a salesman for sure, which is part of Apple's problem right now. He can neither turn lemons into lemonade nor sell air conditioners to Eskimos like Jobs could.

I think Cook has "passion" but just doesn't emote. He's a very stoic personality.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I'm sure I'm missing something, but what does any of the discussion thus far have to do with Oppenheimer selling stock?

What's to discuss about that? He sold some stock, got some money, will reinvest it elsewhere like everyone else does... Articles like these, which tbh shouldn't even be on here since it's neither a rumor nor does it have anything to do with Apple products, should close the comments.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What's to discuss about that? He sold some stock, got some money, will reinvest it elsewhere like everyone else does... Articles like these, which tbh shouldn't even be on here since it's neither a rumor nor does it have anything to do with Apple products, should close the comments.

I certainly won't disagree with your point that there is not much to discuss. If so, then don't post comments unrelated to the topic of the thread, open a thread on the topic you would like to discuss.:D

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I found $5 in the dryer, but I ended up giving it to the homeless guy, living in the parking lot, outside our Office Building.

No SEC filing necessary.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Interesting.

Wow... do you want to know who doesn't have it? Steve Balmer.

Apple is trying to survive on the wave Steve Jobs left, we have to be realistic here... Apple have been just resizing because they have no clue in how to create new products, and the ones that say that the trash can is "innovation"... yeah right.

I bet in 2 years (or less) Tim Cook will have to step down because Apple won't be able to hide their are not innovating but copying others companies.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Why was this story moved from the main articles listing on the front page?

Because this is huge news that someone wants to sideline. Maybe the economy is about to crash. Oppenheimer and his family are US / Bay Area elite, so they probably hear about future plans.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I bet in 2 years (or less) Tim Cook will have to step down because Apple won't be able to hide their are not innovating but copying others companies.

If Cook is going to hang in as CEO two more years it's time to sell my stock too.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
If he has a trophy wife, those are expensive!

Firsthand knowledge? lol

On a serious note, I know it shouldn't, but when these top execs at APPLE sell-off large quantities of their stock portfolio, it always somehow undermines my confidence somewhat, in APPLE as a company. They're probably just only cashing out what they're allowed, as it matures, but nevertheless.

There's always that nagging feeling, they know something we don't.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The transaction was made in accordance with SEC Rule 10b5-1, which means the executive notified the SEC of a plan to sell shares months ahead of the sale to avoid any accusations of insider trading.

Here's a man who is a very intelligent seasoned executive. It's refreshing to read that he sold off the "ethical and right way", no doubt to suit his personal plans. All indicators are such that the "good old days" of Apple's mercurial stock performance are long gone.

Oppenheimer is using his years of experience and general assessment of Apple to position himself to prevent being caught out, if Apple's share price takes another dive. At his age, the level of experience he possesses is priceless.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Here's a man who is a very intelligent seasoned executive. It's refreshing to read that he sold off the "ethical and right way", no doubt to suit his personal plans. All indicators are such that the "good old days" of Apple's mercurial stock performance are long gone.

The "ethical and right way" happens to be the only legal way for a top exec to sell their stock.

I'm pretty sure "mercurial" is not the word you were seeking. It means unpredictable, or moody,

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Some people forget, or perhaps they never knew, that Tim Cook was running Apple for most of the last three years before Steve Jobs died.

He's a bean counter, boring and not at all innovative. Doubt there would be an iPad if Cook was actually running the company.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
He's a bean counter, boring and not at all innovative. Doubt there would be an iPad if Cook was actually running the company.

He was actually running the company during Steve's long absences, and probably even more than we knew during his illness. Much of Apple's success in recent years is due to Cook's "bean counting" as COO. Is he the Sultan of Personal Cool like Steve was? No. Is he a great salesman like Steve was? No. But Steve Jobs was one of a kind, so it isn't exactly a useful comparison.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
He was actually running the company during Steve's long absences, and probably even more than we knew during his illness. Much of Apple's success in recent years is due to Cook's "bean counting" as COO. Is he the Sultan of Personal Cool like Steve was? No. Is he a great salesman like Steve was? No. But Steve Jobs was one of a kind, so it isn't exactly a useful comparison.

Cook was an excellent lieutenant. He is not much of a general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.