Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is continuing its anti-iPad ad campaign, today releasing a new commercial comparing the Surface RT to the fourth generation iPad. The ad, which displays a Surface RT tablet and an iPad side-by-side, highlights both pricing and size differences between the two products.

Microsoft also uses the spot to summarize other iPad shortcomings that it has highlighted in previous ads, including the iPad's lack of an integrated kickstand and keyboard, the absence of dedicated productivity software on the tablet, its poor multitasking capabilities, and its failure to offer expandable storage.

Despite its vigorous advertising campaign, Microsoft revealed last week that its Surface lineup had earned just $853 million in revenue for the company, less than a $900 million writedown the company took for the Surface RT earlier this month.

As a result of the tablet's weak sales, Microsoft was forced to drop the price of the Surface RT by $150 in July, pricing its entry level offering at just $349.99. The company has since dropped the price of the Surface Pro as well, offering it for $100 off through the end of August.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches New Surface RT vs. iPad Ad Highlighting iPad Shortcomings

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Oh jeez....is it me or are these ads just getting more embarrassing?!

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
wah wah

Average consumer: "Hmm, I have a limited amount of funds to spend on a tablet, I guess I'll go with the leader"

MSFT FAIL

Maulden

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
California
I'm sure sales of the Surface will make up for the cost of producing these kinds of commercials.

(I'll have you know I said that with a straight face! :D )

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Seriously Microsoft, stop touting that awful kickstand. Especially if you're not even going to show the iPad's Smart Cover in the comparison.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Fanboy aside... thats pretty impressive. If Apple did that, you'd be lined up around the corner. The only turnout is the name Microsoft.

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
Actually to be honest I liked it how in a way they did do a relatively far comparison, showing that the Surface is indeed heavier than the iPad. Either way the Surface for the price actually seems rather reasonable and enticing.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I predict the RT will be dead in two years, max.

The Pro will probably stick around because improved technology can remove its major shortcomings, and it can actually run things.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Ironically, the 16GB iPad has more free space for data and apps than the 32GB Surface RT.

BTW. The Surface RT (or otherwise) cannot be used on the lap with that kickstand and that flimsy keyboard whereas an iPad with a keyboard case can.

If you want a stand, get a smartcover.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Hmm, it should be more like this: ;)

nCNQd14.jpg

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
um did anyone else notice the girls face on the microsoft surface side during the video conference?

maybe its flash/youtube.. or is that really in the commercial? lol

the quality of the video on the surface side doesn't look as good to me. not that i was expecting it to. :)

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
How about getting someone who actually knows how to use an iPad to play the part?

frisnit

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Scotland
Don't know why they would go to all the trouble with the comparison and not compare the price with the same 32gb version, to make the iPad look even worse! One of the downsides of Apple is definitely the price increases for doubling memory, all about profit rather than component cost.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
This is the first ad of theirs I enjoy (except for the Super Fanboy one). Well done, all the stuff is true, I just wish they had more apps available. Then it would be good.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
poor campaign tactic...

In trying to be "aggressive" with these ads Microsoft is just coming off desperate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.