Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in the development stages of an long-rumored television, partnering with glassmaker Corning, G-Tech Optoelectronics, Foxconn, and display maker Innolux -- if a report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News is to be believed [Google Translate].

The paper has a spotty track record at best, but it seems plausible that Apple would be talking with potential suppliers for a television as it continues to work on the much-rumored project. EDN did report on Pegatron's and LG Display's involvement with the iPad mini months ahead of its public launch, suggesting it does have some good sourcing with suppliers.

appletv.png
According to sources in the industry, Apple, Corning, Foxconn, and G-Tech Optoelectronics met two weeks ago in US to discuss the production of iTV. Foxconn is seeking for knowledge transfer of Gorilla Glass from Corning to GTOC, so GTOC can perform surface treatments needed for iTV manufacturing.

iTV is scheduled for release during the first half of 2014. 55" and 60" models will be released first, and will incorporate panels from Sakai City, Japan. Due to the weakening relationship between Foxconn and Sharp, Foxconn may eventually turn to Innolux to fulfill the large quantity of display panels needed for iTV orders.
In 2012, GTOC was rumored to be making new anti-reflective glass for the then-upcoming redesigned iMac. The Economic Daily News also quotes NPD DisplaySearch vice president David Hseih as saying the iTV with Corning glass would launch early next year in 55" and 60" models.

(Thanks to an anonymous tipster for the translation.)

Article Link: Apple Said to Be Working with Foxconn, Corning and Innolux on 'iTV' for 2014 Launch

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I hope they actually bring one soon. I'm still using an old fashion TV because these TV's fail to captivate me, and I'm hoping Apple can. If they do, I'll most definitely get one :)

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
I can't help but wonder what kind of advantage Apple would have in providing the total package.

Low-margins and strong competition makes for a crappy industry to enter late in the game.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
What good names are there besides iTV, since that is taken? Since we will always be waiting for it to be released: iMComing. Plus we all know what will be airplayed to the big screen.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I can't help but wonder what kind of advantage Apple would have in providing the total package.

Low-margins and strong competition makes for a crappy industry to enter late in the game.

They'd have to significantly exceed the standard that's out there now. Possibly jump to the 4K HD display in addition to whatever else they've got going on under the hood? Force the (consumer-grade) technology to catch up to them?

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
They'd have to significantly exceed the standard that's out there now. Possibly jump to the 4K HD display in addition to whatever else they've got going on under the hood? Force the (consumer-grade) technology to catch up to them?
Is 4k HD really enough to make an impact? I would expect the price point to be out of reach for majority of the market. Hopefully Apple does something that no one else will do or can do.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah right my internet data cap is like a third of the filw size of a 4k movie and I would have to stary buffering a week in advance to stream at that resolution. Apple is killibg off optical drives 4k is impossible to stream right now

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Technology rarely drives change in TV, content does. Until content providers address capabilities of the technology that existing TVs do not support there is not a strong reason for people to upgrade. That sort of change tends to take a long time as the replacement cycle kicks in and users see a compelling reason to upgrade. Even now, 1120p is in the early stages of adoption.

Since Apple is a content delivery company I'd be interested in seeing how they approach an Apple TV if they come out with one.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
so long as

So long as I can use the tv for games

----------

nevermind the fact that the only place in canada equipped to handle a 4k stream would be a small town in Alberta called Olds.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

'Adding value' to low-margin, commodity markets and then driving up margins is pretty much Apple's strength though.

There are lots of Smart TVs, media streamers and set top boxes of various kinds out there that all have overlapping functionality, and most of them, IMO, are functional but awkward-to-horrible to use. Just this month my cable company launched a new Samsung cable-box/DVR/Wifi-router combo with iOS app integration which sounded so promising and was massively hyped, but is just buggy, sluggish and awkward to use. The smooth, responsive UI just isn't there.

A great-looking TV with a clean, simple UI; together with seamless Airplay & iCloud integration would go a long way. Better yet, an integrated AV receiver so there's never any need for multiple remote controls for switching between inputs. If it's 4K with Airplay Mirroring over 802.11 ac Wifi, it would make a great second screen too.

Not sure I could afford it though.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
40", 50" and 60" makes sense but like others have said...

1. You need content that will take advantage of the tech... and a good chunk of it.
2. 4k movie downloads would be massive file sizes and streaming would be next to impossible with our current infrastructure.
3. 4k displays are WILDLY expensive and will be for at least the next 2 years or so.

^ Those three points alone leave this idea dead in it's tracks. (Unless it releases in like 2015-2016ish).

If Apple does a TV - it won't be 4k yet.

If, SOMEHOW, they can get the industry to offer content à la carte... now something like THAT would be a game changer and worth it.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
How does offering a choice of 55" and 60" size models make sense?

Makes no sense to me either, looks like a poor DigiTimes rumor.

In fact, the whole iTV thing still makes no sense to me.

Why is an Apple 4K iTV screen better than a Sony or Samsung 4K TV screen? What innovation is there in a huge flat TV today?

A screen is a screen, the logic is in the box(es) attached to it and the linked services and content in the cloud, it's easy enough for consumers to connect a HDMI 2.0 cable from the box(es) to the TV set.

Besides, no one makes money in TV sets, terrible business to be in with razor-thin margins.

Apple should just improve the current Apple TV (add SDK for app developers, Bluetooth for game controllers...)

Last edited:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

The same was said about the smartphone market in 2007 but they didn't just jump into it and compete. Apple never does that. They either redefine or disrupt a market by creating a new one that they dominate. Then they usually destroy/cannibalize it and move on before everyone else gets there.

I don't see why TVs can't be different. Apple will introduce a premium TV experience (display+UI+content packaging) for a premium price. This wins over the home theater enthusiasts immediately. From there they can scale the panels, features and packages to meet consumers with lower budgets too but never too low. Their margins wouldn't allow it and they don't want to play in that space anyway. Everyone will relaunch their TVs to copy Apple but by this time, Apple will have moved on to the next thing.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
40", 50" and 60" makes sense but like others have said...

1. You need content that will take advantage of the tech... and a good chunk of it.
2. 4k movie downloads would be massive file sizes and streaming would be next to impossible with our current infrastructure.
3. 4k displays are WILDLY expensive and will be for at least the next 2 years or so.

^ Those three points alone leave this idea dead in it's tracks. (Unless it releases in like 2015-2016ish).

If Apple does a TV - it won't be 4k yet.

If, SOMEHOW, they can get the industry to offer content à la carte... now something like THAT would be a game changer and worth it.

While I don't fully believe a 4k panel is in the cards at first, it is definitely possible. There are already 50" 4k displays selling for under $1000. These are good displays in fairly low quantity made by no name Asian companies. If Apple produced millions of 4k displays for a giant product launch, they could produce them really cheap compared to any 4k display on the market.

As far as content, they would never release a 4k display without uprezzing the iTunes catalog either on the server end or perhaps on the TV end itself. A good 4k panel would make HD video look great - better than native 1080p. In any case, there's no reason to stream movies (4k requires 20 mbit/sec which is supported by about 1/5 of US homes) because they can just progressively download them like they do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.