Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screen manufacturer Japan Display and inductor coil provider TDK have fully ramped up production levels in order to meet the parts demand for Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone 5C, according to a report from Japanese newspaper Nikkei [Google Translate] (via CNET).

iphonecomparison.png
Japan Display Inc. (JDI), a merger of the small and medium-size display businesses of Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba, is in "full production" Nikkei said in a report Thursday.

TDK, which supplies Apple with inductor coils, among other components, boosted production this summer to meet demand for the new iPhones, expected to be announced at a September 10 event.
Additionally, an IHS analyst cited in the report states that prices of flash memory could be driven higher if Apple's refreshed iPhone line sells well, with Toshiba being the primary supplier of flash memory to the company. Suppliers in Japan are also concerned about a sharp decline in profit and sales if production slows down due to slowing iPhone sales. Last month, a report stated that production of the iPhone 5S is expected to be limited to 3-4 million units in Q3 2013 due to fingerprint sensor shortages.

Apple's iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S are both expected to be revealed at a media event on September 10, with the two new devices expected to be released in the first wave of markets on September 20.

Article Link: Japanese Manufacturers Ramp Up Production as iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C Launches Loom

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
So the champagne version is only getting the dual LEDs ?

Honestly still a gimmick

Touch sensor will be very useful.

Can't wait for all the threads showing people bypass it though

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Touch sensor, if perfected, will be the best reason to upgrade from a 5.
Enjoy security and not having to login using a passcode.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
They'd better be ramping up production given the new iPhone coming :rolleyes:

I think there don't have to be any more stories about the supply chain for the iPhone ramping up. It's five days from the Apple event. It's obvious now.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
So the champagne version is only getting the dual LEDs ?

Honestly still a gimmick

Touch sensor will be very useful.

Can't wait for all the threads showing people bypass it though

The one with a single flash is an iPhone 5. They're just being held up to show the differences between models.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
They better make the 32GB the low size memory this time, if I have to pay an extra $100 for an extra 16GB again X2, this will mean it's 6 years w/ same size of flash memory while apps have increased more than 3X their size.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Say what Willis?!

Forgive my ignorance but *why* would the prices of the flash memory go up, wouldn't it actually instead go down over time? :confused:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Uh do u see a gold front plate or graphite front plate? It's not the front that we needs leak from.. We need leak of the fingerprint sensor home button itself and its internals.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Finger print sensor? What's that gonna look like mr sassy?

The fingerprint sensor will most certainly be visible from all sides, no way it will get hidden in the home button. In fact, no rumors suggest that. The screen will have the shape of a thumb too.
:rolleyes:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
No, it is not. There is a space indicating the presence of a dual flash module, and two potential colour options.

And you know the front is gonna be the same, exactly how? Source? Or you just made that up? If there will be fingerprint sensor, the front will se more difference then the tiny dual flash thingy (which in my opinion is hardly noticable based on the leaks)

Besides, the colour options will effect the front face of the phone as well, no??

So here is the question again: How come there is no front leaks for the iPhone 5s?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
And you know the front is gonna be the same, exactly how?

There have been no leaks regarding different front panels, therefore it is reasonable to assume that there are no differences in the front panel compared to the iPhone 5.

Of what? Of the lack of leaks?

If there will be fingerprint sensor, the front will se more difference then the tiny dual flash thingy (which in my opinion is hardly noticable based on the leaks)

All rumors and analysts are suggesting otherwise.
At most, it is believed that the home button will not retain the usual square inside its shape.

Besides, the colour options will effect the front face of the phone as well, no??

Basing on the lack of leaks of the front panel, no. The new colour options will probably be coupled with either a white or black front panel colour.
Front panels aren't harder to get from suppliers than back panels.

So here is the question again: How come there is no front leaks for the iPhone 5s?

How is that a relevant question in such a news thread? The piece is not talking about how the front panel of the 5S might look like.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Right! That's why there is not leaks of any front panels. I get it.

As stated by numerous sources, the iPhone 5S has entered mass production.
There is no reason to believe that the front panel should be rarer than the back panel. It is reasonable, as I stated, to assume that websites haven't published news about the 5S's front panel simply because it looks exactly the same as the 5's.
I am not a Weibo user, but you will find there photos referring to 5S front panels that pick nobody's interest, because they are no different than the 5's and thus don't get any attention.

The fact that Macrumors or other rumor blogs and sites haven't published photos depicting those panels does not mean that no leaks exist.

No. Source to back your claim that iPhone 5S front panel will see no changes.

The trend Apple has maintained with S versions should be enough of a source.
Also, early prototypes of the 5S point at a 4" screen with almost the same design of the iPhone 5. There is no evidence of any screen bigger than 4" whatsoever, and there have been different claims stating that the home button will not disappear, but will probably, if ever, host a fingerprint sensor.
The back panel supports all of this, since it has the same dimensions as the 5's.

As for the colour, what I stated above stands corrected.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
The fingerprint sensor will most certainly be visible from all sides, no way it will get hidden in the home button. In fact, no rumors suggest that. The screen will have the shape of a thumb too.

I didn't say it was gonna be hidden. If it was hidden then why would I be curious as to what it looks like? Either way you sound loco as the released pictures today show minimal differences with the exception of a gray ring outside the button.:rolleyes:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
As stated by numerous sources, the iPhone 5S has entered mass production.
There is no reason to believe that the front panel should be rarer than the back panel. It is reasonable, as I stated, to assume that websites haven't published news about the 5S's front panel simply because it looks exactly the same as the 5's.
I am not a Weibo user, but you will find there photos referring to 5S front panels that pick nobody's interest, because they are no different than the 5's and thus don't get any attention.

The fact that Macrumors or other rumor blogs and sites haven't published photos depicting those panels does not mean that no leaks exist.

The trend Apple has maintained with S versions should be enough of a source.
Also, early prototypes of the 5S point at a 4" screen with almost the same design of the iPhone 5. There is no evidence of any screen bigger than 4" whatsoever, and there have been different claims stating that the home button will not disappear, but will probably, if ever, host a fingerprint sensor.
The back panel supports all of this, since it has the same dimensions as the 5's.

As for the colour, what I stated above stands corrected.

Well, if the new leaks are to be true, the biggest change will be on the front panel and not on the back. On the leaks shows that the home button have been redisigned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.