Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On Monday, Apple began offering a Personal Pickup option for the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c via its online purchase page and through its Apple Store app, giving customers a way to check in-store availability for each phone model and place orders for in-store pickup.

The following day, Apple removed the in-store pickup option for iPhone 5s orders, leaving shoppers with the option of placing an online order for delivery in October or visiting local retail stores in person to check in-store availability. There was no explanation given for the feature's removal, though the continued constrained supply of the iPhone 5s could have contributed.

iphone_5s_store_pickup_halted.jpg
According to 9to5Mac, Apple will reinstate the in-store pickup option for both the app and its website beginning on Monday, September 30, once again allowing customers to check stock and place orders for pickup.

Apple's supplies of the iPhone 5s remain tight, with all models and capacities displaying a ship time of October. iPhone 5c supplies are plentiful, with all models and capacities shipping within 24 hours.

Article Link: Apple to Resume In-Store Pickup Orders for iPhone 5s Next Week

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Nice! Finally I can try to get the gold one. Hopefully they will have some kind of availability soon.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Wait. If we're in the 7-11 day "processing your order" purgatory, does this mean anyone can go online Monday and order one and pick it up that day in store?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Still waiting on our iphone 5s'!! I ordered a 16gb space grey and a 16gb gold for my wife from sprint but sprint is saying 4-6 weeks and I ordered right when they went on sale. Can I cancel my order on Monday and do in store pickup on wed (since I live 2 hours away from the nearest Apple store) and I'm going in to the city that day on other business?? So how long does it take to cancel an order and for them to show I have upgrades again??

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
Wait. If we're in the 7-11 day "processing your order" purgatory, does this mean anyone can go online Monday and order one and pick it up that day in store?

cancel your order now and give yourself time for your upgrade reversal before monday if that is your game plan....i had eta of Oct 7-10 and i cancelled mine the day of when i saw that feature available and was able to score exactly what i wanted in color and size 32GB silver at&t :D

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Wow, so somehow I happened in to a store and was able to do the online order/pickup on the only day they had it going.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Just because they're opening personal pickup for the 5s doesn't mean stock will be any better. Even if you placed an order for pickup on Monday, it might be available the next day or in a week.

So I wouldn't cancel your order if you've already put one in. Unless it shows as available right away.

bcfran

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
BC Canada
I live in Canada, and I will stay with online October delivery. If I buy online I pay a bit more, but the phone is unlocked to provider.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006

I would just wait. You don't know for sure that the store will have stock of what you want. My store for example only got 64gb AT&T space grays today.

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Just because they're opening personal pickup for the 5s doesn't mean stock will be any better. Even if you placed an order for pickup on Monday, it might be available the next day or in a week.

So I wouldn't cancel your order if you've already put one in. Unless it shows as available right away.

They way they have done it in the past is that you can't purchase for in-store pickup unless the store has it in stock. So every night, people go on-line to see what the inventory is for the next day, if they have what you want, you buy it and go pick it up the next day.

They haven't done the in-store pickup where you order today and then its delivered to the store some days later.

I'd say once you have your reservation confirmed for you phone, you are safe to cancel you existing order.

Nabby

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Well at least it was available on the 23-24,which was earlier than last year. Good news.

----------

In the past,the store inventory was updated at 10pm ET and you had to be quick on the draw to get what you wanted.This situation eased as more stock became available as time passed.

----------

On other threads here,it is not available in Blighty.

Will in-store pick up also be available in the UK?

MrTang23

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
I have read a few articles that say iPhone 5S White 32gb for At&t will ship in 7-14 days. I know it probably means 7-14 days of you order directly from At&t. I was wondering would this apply to orders placed directly through apple.com? Thanks.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
There are still phones in stores. Picked up a 5S in London Covent Garden yesterday. Chouce limited though: only space grey in 32 or 64 GB.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
They way they have done it in the past is that you can't purchase for in-store pickup unless the store has it in stock. So every night, people go on-line to see what the inventory is for the next day, if they have what you want, you buy it and go pick it up the next day.

They haven't done the in-store pickup where you order today and then its delivered to the store some days later.

I'd say once you have your reservation confirmed for you phone, you are safe to cancel you existing order.

Nabby

That doesn't work if you're doing a subsidized purchase. If you have a pending order, and try to order online with in store pickup you will have to pay full price for the in store phone. So the only way to do it is to cancel your existing order, wait for the upgrade eligibility to be refreshed to your account, and then try to buy on line.

I read somewhere last week that a user said it only took 10 minutes for their upgrade eligibility to return after canceling. But I haven't tried it, so I don't know. I would imagine YMMV.

Welbr

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
It's back!! Check Availability!!

You can now check availability! Even though it just says there is nothing available anywhere.

pixelss

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
still no phone available

Just checked around the Orlando area and fort Myers and zero phone avliable for pick-up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.