Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Another unofficial web tracker for checking the availability of Retina iPad mini models at Apple's U.S. retail locations has surfaced, providing help to those attempting to purchase the supply-constrained device. Obscurely hosted on marine life conservation website Seaturtle.org, the website offers a grid view of inventory checks of each Retina iPad Mini model for every Apple Retail Store in the United States, displaying a green, red, or white box for availability, unavailability, or non-checked information, respectively.

seaturtle_ipadtracker-800x363.jpg
For model/location combinations that have not recently been checked, users are able to click on the cell content to update the data and check nearby stores. Users can also register for email notifications when specific models become available for pickup at their local stores. Apple launched its Personal Pickup option for the Retina iPad mini earlier this week, with stores seeing quick sellouts of many models. Walk-in sales of the device will apparently not be offered until supplies improve.

seaturtle_ipadminitracker2.png
Last week, Apple shut down tracking website Apple-Tracker.com, which was dedicated to monitoring in-store pickup availability of iPhone 5s and iPad Air models, citing a terms of use violation, and a similar fate will likely befall this new tracker as it continues to gain attention.

Article Link: New Retina iPad Mini In-Store Availability Tracker Gaining Attention

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
damn. no 32gb t-mobile space grays anywhere. i do see a 64gb relatively near me, but that's a lot more storage than i need.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
ROFL See if you can shut down Seaturtle.org, Apple!

They probably can, so I guess that sucks for Seaturtle.org.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I actually wrote my own Groovy script that I have running locally every 20 minutes that will give me the printout of the local stores of only the models I am interested in.

It is nice to be a developer...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
They didn't find a way to filter by state or store or have the header roll with you, so there is almost no way down down the chart to know which variant you are looking at.

kwiky

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I actually wrote my own Groovy script that I have running locally every 20 minutes that will give me the printout of the local stores of only the models I am interested in.

Hey everyone! Look how important this guy is. :eek:

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Scraping Apple stores might not go over well & get shut down, but how about non-Apple stores? Some of us have Target $200 trade-in credits burning holes in our pockets...

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
A site which empowers the people allowing them to make a more well-informed decision on where to go knowing what is available? A site which informs potential customers of their choices of iPad and saves them from futilely travelling from store to store in search of products which are no longer there? A site which treats users as human instead of cattle?

Apple won't like that.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali

Anyway you could make one for me? :D
And have it run every 5 minutes? Lol

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
That's great but....

I live in a place where I am over 2.5 Hours from an apple store, but have access to Best Buy, AT&T stores, Target, Walmart, Staples, Office Max, Meijer and can not find any AT&T iPad mini or 5th Gen in stock to save my life. How about a tool for that?

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I live in a place where I am over 2.5 Hours from an apple store, but have access to Best Buy, AT&T stores, Target, Walmart, Staples, Office Max, Meijer and can not find any AT&T iPad mini or 5th Gen in stock to save my life. How about a tool for that?

You can check availability at Best Buy via their website - it will look at the three closest locations. You have to do it by device configuration, though. Unfortunately, it is only working for rMini wi-fi models at this point, cellular ones say "coming soon." Air cellulars also mostly say "coming soon."

I guess you'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and call the stores. Maybe BB could hold one for you? I don't know.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A site which empowers the people allowing them to make a more well-informed decision on where to go knowing what is available? A site which informs potential customers of their choices of iPad and saves them from futilely travelling from store to store in search of products which are no longer there? A site which treats users as human instead of cattle?

Apple won't like that.

Wow. What a way to spin this. You should be hired by Fox News immediately!
:)

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Not sure which system is inaccurate, Apple's or theirs. Says no Gray available on their's and Apple says that is is available. I do know from experience that Apple's system is slow to update but maybe theirs is too.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Scraping Apple stores might not go over well & get shut down, but how about non-Apple stores? Some of us have Target $200 trade-in credits burning holes in our pockets...

Seroiusly, really getting tired of calling my local Targets everyday to find out their if they got the Mini Retina in

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If Apple actually made their site present information at a glance instead of requiring so many clicks to get information (color, Wi-Fi/Cellular, carrier, capacity, store name), sites like this wouldn't need to exist.

If I'm on the fence about color, capacity, or Wi-Fi vs. Cellular and want to buy an iPad from an Apple Store today, I have to click dozens of times to find out which stores have which capacity, color, and Wi-Fi/cellular models I'm considering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.