Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After first appearing at the iPhone 5 media event in September of 2012, interactive free-to-play app Clumsy Ninja has finally hit the U.S. App Store following an October soft launch in Singapore.

Clumsy Ninja incorporates ragdoll physics, allowing users to interact with an on-screen ninja in a variety of ways. The ninja can be trained to learn tricks and special Ninja Moves, earning Ninja Belts, and he can also be tossed, thrown, and tickled.

clumsyninja.jpg
The app includes more than 70 unique items, including options like trampolines and punching bags. There are also several different locations to explore, characters to meet, games to play, and quests to complete.

Ninjas can be customized with suits, belts, and headbands, and photos can be shared with friends. According to the developers, Clumsy Ninja uses a special simulation technology that is designed to provide ultra realistic movements and interactions.
UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS
Clumsy Ninja is a living virtual friend who thinks and acts with real intelligence - and a lot of clumsiness! You'll experience unique moments with your ninja and his companions every time you play!

FIRST ON TOUCH DEVICES!
Clumsy Ninja is the first game on touch devices to ever use the EUPHORIA simulation technology - producing the most believable character you've ever seen.
Clumsy Ninja is available now and can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Long Awaited 'Clumsy Ninja' Game Now Available in App Store

stan1028

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
It is a really cool game app.

Kinda shock when seeing the article and thought it was already launched around the world.

Didn't know I was given a privilege to tried it. :p

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
You'd think they would at least tell us why they took so freaking long... especially since they demo'd it at an Apple keynote over a year ago. Sheesh.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
You'd think they would at least tell us why they took so freaking long... especially since they demo'd it at an Apple keynote over a year ago. Sheesh.

That still wouldn't justify their lateness. Even if they said "Sorry guys, we're having delays due to technical problems", we'd be like eh whatever. But since they've left it MIA and suddenly released we almost forgot about it. And now it's actually live!!! :)

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
In the past two days, apps demoed a long time ago were released: this one and Hatch. Given that every day I have anywhere from 1 to 999 apps update so they are compatible for iOS7 you have to wonder how much of the delay can be ascribed to the new iOS.

If you'll excuse me now, I have a fugu to feed and a ninja to tickle.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I was going to make a snarky and sarcastic comment of how I was "waiting forever for this to come out" but "oh wait, I've never heard of it", but I didn't realize it was a game demoed in the keynote. That must be an obnoxious wait for those of you who were excited.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Oh that's why it took so long.... Had to rewrite for IAP. No thanks. I pay for my apps.

BinaryTim

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Dakotas
Better late than never...

I was pretty excited about this game when it was demo'd at the keynote. When it didn’t come out and didn’t come out I figured the developer must have gone out of business before they could release this game. Now I can finally try it. I just hope it is as good as it looked in the demo.

They should rename it though, to "Rumpelstiltskin Ninja". :rolleyes:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I like how "free-to-play" means, it's probably not free to play.
How about "free-to-start-with"?

They should really fix this whole IAP mess. I don't think IAP is bad in and of itself. The problem is you don't know upfront roughly how much the game will cost.

The burning question is: how obnoxious is the IAP? I don't know whether I want to download this or not until I find some review that dig into this.

How about this: games with IAP always include an uber IAP that includes all the purchaseable content plus boosts the supply constables in-game so that a reasonable player would never need to buy.

AND: include the price of the uber IAP in marketing so people know about it.

That gives people the choice: I can do "free-to-play" with the possibility of needing IAP to have fun, or play $X to get the whole enchilada up-front.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I like how "free-to-play" means, it's probably not free to play.
How about "free-to-start-with"?

They should really fix this whole IAP mess. I don't think IAP is bad in and of itself. The problem is you don't know upfront roughly how much the game will cost.

I think they should be categorized like the following:

"Free Download" (that means the app is free to download, and there are no IAPs available)

"Free Download with IAP" (free download, but there are IAPs available in the App Store)

"Paid App" (you pay to download the app)

DamoTheBrave

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
I'd rather pay $5.99 and have ZERO in-app purchases... :rolleyes:

Amen to this. i know there are in app purchasers in the world and that it's a solid business model but this is pretty much a deal breaker for me and my son.
A one time purchase only would be far, far preferable. Even having to pay with virtual currency is very annoying as is having to wait. Their business model decisions are destroying the fun of the game.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Amen to this. i know there are in app purchasers in the world and that it's a solid business model but this is pretty much a deal breaker for me and my son.
A one time purchase only would be far, far preferable. Even having to pay with virtual currency is very annoying as is having to wait. Their business model decisions are destroying the fun of the game.

Just a quick question - what if you have a one time purchase, but its after you've downloaded the free app. In essence its "Try before you Buy", not "Freemium"?

The idea is instead of paying $x for it up front without seeing if you like it, you get to try it first and then if you like it - you buy it ONCE.

I really wish more apps would do that, and that it was an obvious "type" within the App Store.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I'd rather pay $5.99 and have ZERO in-app purchases... :rolleyes:

This game was in development prior to the iPhone 5 reveal and another 14 months after, and that equals 6 bucks to you? I'm guessing it would at least be $20.

I wish all games did have a non-IAP option though.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Just a quick question - what if you have a one time purchase, but its after you've downloaded the free app. In essence its "Try before you Buy", not "Freemium"?

The idea is instead of paying $x for it up front without seeing if you like it, you get to try it first and then if you like it - you buy it ONCE.

Ok, this is the best idea I've read on these forums in a very long time. Since Apple doesn't want to offer trial periods or demos, this would be the perfect solution. Simply give away your app for free (with extremely limited options), then let them IAP for the full version. You can even use an internal timer (5 min), then the app closes without saving data, or deletes the app data.

Why didn't I think of this! I'll tell you what, I'd buy more apps if I could try them, that's for sure.

Unless there is specific rules disallowing this, and I wouldn't put it past Apple, this is a really good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.