Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly 20 months after the launch of FileMaker Pro 12 by Apple subsidiary FileMaker, Apple appears to have prematurely revealed the upcoming debut of the next-generation database software, FileMaker Pro 13, with new entries in its online stores in several countries. Several versions of FileMaker Pro 12 are also shown as discontinued in those stores, while the new versions are listed as shipping "within 24 hours" despite no official announcement of their launch having been made yet.

filemaker_13.jpg
Screenshots accompanying the new listings show a new "Share" button in the toolbar, as well as an iOS 7-styled makeover for the FileMaker Go apps for iPhone and iPad. The listings otherwise appear to primarily be placeholders for the time being, using the same box art as their predecessors with the exception of replacing "12" with "13". Product descriptions are also fairly generic, lacking any discussion of new features or other details on the upcoming software.

filemaker_13_iphone_ipad_mac.jpg
FileMaker Pro 13 versions currently showing in Apple's UK online store include:

- FileMaker Pro 13 for iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC and web (£286.95)
- FileMaker Pro 13 for Non-Profit and Education (£199.95)

- FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced for iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC and web (£454.95)
- FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced for Non-Profit and Education (£272.95)

New versions of FileMaker Server are not currently listed in Apple's stores.

In addition to FileMaker Pro, FileMaker had previously offered a series of consumer-focused Mac and iOS database apps under the Bento name, but that line was discontinued several months ago.

Update: Apple has removed the FileMaker Pro 13 listings from its online stores.

(Thanks, John!)

Article Link: FileMaker Pro 13 Prematurely Appears on Apple's Online Store [Updated]

DonMega

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
They need to spin Aperture and the other "Pro" software off into their own subsidiary like they did Filemaker. Where the hell is Aperture 4.0?

DavidinBurl

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Filemaker Pro not on Mac App Store

Odd... I've seen a few articles critical of the fact that Microsoft Office and major Adobe products aren't available via the Mac App Store, but just realized that you can't purchase FileMaker on the Mac App Store, either... Does FileMaker not approve of Apple's Mac App Store policies? Will FileMaker 13 be available on it?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
They need to spin Aperture and the other "Pro" software off into their own subsidiary like they did Filemaker. Where the hell is Aperture 4.0?

I'd say the reverse, suck Claris / FileMaker back into Apple, their prices are ridiculous compared to Apple's in-house pro software and not in the same league.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Odd... I've seen a few articles critical of the fact that Microsoft Office and major Adobe products aren't available via the Mac App Store, but just realized that you can't purchase FileMaker on the Mac App Store, either... Does FileMaker not approve of Apple's Mac App Store policies? Will FileMaker 13 be available on it?

Most serious business software (ie. software that a business will buy and install on 5+ computers) really needs to have product key level installation. If FileMaker was available on the Mac App Store, a business could buy a single copy and install it on a bunch of computers. Apple obviously feels like this is worth the risk for their Pro apps, but I understand why they wouldn't want to permit this for FileMaker.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Yeah, kind of a sticky wicket. The store doesn't have a buy-an-upgrade next year mechanism. Folks bought lightroom 4 at retail, then when LR5 came out, we're expected to buy it again at retail. Last I checked, neither was listed.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Most serious business software (ie. software that a business will buy and install on 5+ computers) really needs to have product key level installation. If FileMaker was available on the Mac App Store, a business could buy a single copy and install it on a bunch of computers. Apple obviously feels like this is worth the risk for their Pro apps, but I understand why they wouldn't want to permit this for FileMaker.

However, this is exactly the reason I won't buy filemaker.... because its not in the store. I own 3 computers which I would like to run a small database on, I am NOT going to buy 3 copies, so it is (badly) done in numbers so I can have the same data set available via iCloud.

DonMega

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I'd say the reverse, suck Claris / FileMaker back into Apple, their prices are ridiculous compared to Apple's in-house pro software and not in the same league.

You know what Digitalclips, I think you hit the nail on the head. I use Filemaker Pro Advanced on a daily basis. I've built quite a few databases that I use everyday, but, for what it does it is very ridiculously priced. Even the upgrades are expensive.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
However, this is exactly the reason I won't buy filemaker.... because its not in the store. I own 3 computers which I would like to run a small database on, I am NOT going to buy 3 copies, so it is (badly) done in numbers so I can have the same data set available via iCloud.

I'm with you on that, requiring one license per computer makes FMP very expensive for a small business, but with your specific use case you could use Instant Web Publishing to make the database available to multiple computers from a single copy of Filemaker.

Edit: At least what Apple/Filemaker should do is have a free FMP database viewer/editor application (without development abilities) that runs on Macs/PCs much like Filemaker Go on iOS. It's pretty ridiculous to be forced to pay $299 to have the dev. version installed on a workstation that will be only used to do some minimal viewing and editing.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I assume you don't need three copies of the data on three different computers. You usual case is one DBMS server to hold the data and clients all around to access the data. This way five or 50,000 people can get at the same data at the same time.

Filemaker is not really a database. It is a way to make forms and get data in and out of these forms. If you need this and don't like the cost look at LibreOffice "base" component.
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/

If yu need a real DBMS server (perhaps to store data for use by the above) this one is popular, and free.
http://www.mysql.com

But even with the above widely known free alternatives, I bet many people will prefer to spend $500+ for this. They think cost = value and it is pretty easy to burn of $500 in labor setting up the forms so the cost of the software is trivial compared to the cost of paying an employee to use the software.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Way to expensieve, it's time it also gets the low-price treatment like other pro apps. :(

They had their low-priced alternative called 'Filemaker Bento', but canned it last July, presumably due to lack of interest. This was their official explanation:

"FileMaker, Inc. is increasing its focus on FileMaker Product Line software. Thanks to the ease of creating iPad and iPhone solutions, our customers' use of FileMaker on iOS is growing rapidly. Our increased focus will create an even better experience for these customers.
As part of our sharpened focus, we will stop further development of the Bento consumer products."

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
What does FileMaker even do?
It's a database program... and it does a friggin' lot. Bento was a poor attempt at making an affordable version... and lacked a lot of features from its bigger brother.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Apple's cloud-related services are so horrible, I wouldn't be shocked if this was truly an accident. Perhaps the difference between "test" and "release" is one button off or something...

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway

I believe it was mentioned in the demo of "Mac Pro" on the last Apple event. That said, Apple's lack of releases and roadmap have already caused many photographers to move to Lightroom - it is far superior for noise reduction and most operations actually dealing with images. Aperture and Lightroom was neck to neck for a while, with each new release of one leapfrogging the other. Then Apple stopped, back in 2010 - and apart from improved iPhoto integration and iCloud integration, only bugfixes and compatibility fixes have been coming.

I gave up last year, migrated - and I doubt I'm coming back even if the software is competitive. Four years between versions is a bit much, especially if you can never be sure that something is actually happening...

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
FileMaker is Apple's dead appendage they keep dragging around. Bloated, unintuitive and expensive. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up, that is if anyone would still use it and priced more in line with Apple's other Pro software.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I assume you don't need three copies of the data on three different computers. You usual case is one DBMS server to hold the data and clients all around to access the data. This way five or 50,000 people can get at the same data at the same time.

Filemaker is not really a database. It is a way to make forms and get data in and out of these forms. If you need this and don't like the cost look at LibreOffice "base" component.
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/

If yu need a real DBMS server (perhaps to store data for use by the above) this one is popular, and free.
http://www.mysql.com

But even with the above widely known free alternatives, I bet many people will prefer to spend $500+ for this. They think cost = value and it is pretty easy to burn of $500 in labor setting up the forms so the cost of the software is trivial compared to the cost of paying an employee to use the software.

I think you're oversimplifying what Filemaker is about. It can certainly do more than dumb forms with a couple of fields and radio buttons.

FMP can be used to build very complex interfaces to present data sets and related sets, with scripted buttons that can do complex manipulations to data. It does have some archaic limitations and some slowness in some areas, but it can do the job as a complete solution for a small to medium business, and there's nothing quite like it in terms of being easy to of use and yet relatively powerful.

Using a mysql backend could help when scaling things to thousands of users that need access to a simple form, but if you want to make that complex FMP scripted interface accessible to more than one workstation, you still need to install Filemaker and pay $299 for each seat, with only a very small rebate for volume licensing. (And with more than 10 users you need to install Filemaker Server).

Filemaker Go for iOS is free since version 12, there should be an equivalent free database viewer/editor for Mac/PC.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
These 'captures' are always interesting.

#1 You'd have to be stalking a home page for activity.

#2 You'd have to think that what you're looking at isn't supposed to be there.

Right now some guys from Apple are sitting back reading posts on AI and MR snickering at some guy who thinks he got lucky and screen captured some images.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
They had their low-priced alternative called 'Filemaker Bento', but canned it last July, presumably due to lack of interest. This was their official explanation:

"FileMaker, Inc. is increasing its focus on FileMaker Product Line software. Thanks to the ease of creating iPad and iPhone solutions, our customers' use of FileMaker on iOS is growing rapidly. Our increased focus will create an even better experience for these customers.
As part of our sharpened focus, we will stop further development of the Bento consumer products."

I know, Bento was crap, nothing more than a runtime FMpro database.

Filemaker is more expensive than Final Cut Pro and aperture together plus some consumer titles, its pathetic. I stopped using it a few years ago..
- to expensive
- not forward compatible enough
(my project works in Win8 but not in osX mav anymore)
- non compatible updates

This is not an Apple product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.