Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Hi,

I need your opinions please.

I'm about to purchase a Haswell based 13' rMBP and I want to keep it an absolute minimum of 8 years.

Do you guys think getting the i7 and 16gb of ram will be enough to keep this machine running flawlessly for 8 years time?

Thank you for any opinions and advice :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It should be fine, just recognize the fact that no matter what you get it will most likely not be supported by the latest OS or software in 8 years. If you care at all about keeping up to date with the latest software then probably 3-4 years is more realistic with anything. But if that isn't important to you then it should work fine although there is a decent chance that some part will fail on any computer in that time frame and cost too much to be worth fixing.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
It should be fine, just recognize the fact that no matter what you get it will most likely not be supported by the latest OS or software in 8 years. If you care at all about keeping up to date with the latest software then probably 3-4 years is more realistic with anything. But if that isn't important to you then it should work fine although there is a decent chance that some part will fail on any computer in that time frame and cost too much to be worth fixing.

Yeah, I figured after 4 years or so I wouldn't get OS X updates anymore but that is fine as OS updates tend to bog down a computer over time.

But as long as I'm ok with keeping the OS as is you think the i7 and 16gb are enough to last 8 years?

I'm just worried because I got a PC before and over time it couldn't keep up because I didn't get the top-of-the-line model + I can't stand having to look for a new computer (hence why I only want to upgrade every 8-10 years).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Holy cow. Why 8 years? Most people keep their machines for a max of 5-7 years, but usually replace after 2-4.

I think your expectations might be unrealistic here. Even people who don't want to upgrade to the newest thing all the time are going to get a new computer sooner than that.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Pretty much what the user above said. Lots of things will be different 8 years from now. Your battery will need to be replace every 2-3 years, if you're an average user, screen issues, logic board failure, etc. There will be new technology by then.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
But as long as I'm ok with keeping the OS as is you think the i7 and 16gb are enough to last 8 years?

As good as anything else, the battery will be shot by then so you'll need to either replace that or just deal with only using your laptop plugged in to power. But no matter what computer you get it has a very good chance of having some sort of problem if you try to keep it for 8 years.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I have a G4 iBook that works still, it is 10 years old by now. It works but it is slow, so sure you can if you take care of the laptop but being happy with it is another question. Better of keeping it to what you can afford and either upgrading the ram later or buy new.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I have a G4 iBook that works still, it is 10 years old by now. It works but it is slow, so sure you can if you take care of the laptop but being happy with it is another question. Better of keeping it to what you can afford and either upgrading the ram later or buy new.

I'm guessing your iBook isn't your main machine anymore, and probably hasn't been for a while, has it?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yes, it will probably still work. To get an idea of the future, I'd look at the past.

From the software side:

MacBook Pros from 2007 got upgraded to Mavericks. Assuming that's the last OS X update they will get and the next version of OS X is planned for 2014, they will have gotten 7 years of eligibility for the latest version of OS X. Staying one version behind for an extra year would have pretty much no negative impact. Even staying 2-3 versions behind is not really a big deal (there are lots of Snow Leopard users still). Assuming that trend continues, you should be all good in terms of software compatibility.

From the hardware side:

Let's look at a high-end MBP from 7 years ago. (I'm not choosing 8 years otherwise I would have to do a PowerPC vs Intel comparison).

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2-667
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB
Hard drive: 120GB 5400RPM

Note that this is the basic config for the high-end model (not ultimate), I'm not sure whether there were BTO options for an even higher-end config back then.

Those specs are pretty weak by today's standards, but still entirely useable for basic everyday stuff.

Here's a "review" of a 2006 MacBook Pro done last year to see how bearable a now 7-year-old Mac is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7auHMcHkvs

Of course expect to spend on a couple things at some point like a new battery, or a replacement charger.

Last edited:

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
As good as anything else, the battery will be shot by then so you'll need to either replace that or just deal with only using your laptop plugged in to power. But no matter what computer you get it has a very good chance of having some sort of problem if you try to keep it for 8 years.

Yeah, I plan on doing battery replacements through Apple over the years to keep it running like new and someone said on here that since I'm buying it in California Apple has to offer battery replacements for up to 7 years.

Holy cow. Why 8 years? Most people keep their machines for a max of 5-7 years, but usually replace after 2-4.

I think your expectations might be unrealistic here. Even people who don't want to upgrade to the newest thing all the time are going to get a new computer sooner than that.

I really really despise change and having to buy new things. It causes me quite a bit of anxiety each time and it's easier for me to keep a machine for a long time (hopefully 8 years or more) by throwing a lot of money at it early on in upgrades to try and extend its longevity, rather than look for a new machine every few years :(

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Yeah, I plan on doing battery replacements through Apple over the years to keep it running like new and someone said on here that since I'm buying it in California Apple has to offer battery replacements for up to 7 years.

Just so you know, I don't know if Apple will be offering batteries for your 2013 rMBP in 2021. If you're keeping the computer for 8 years, you are more than likely to have something major fail, and since the computer is only under warranty for 3 years with apple care, you'll probably be paying some couple hundred dollar fee to replace the part. If you do plan on replacing the battery, since it is glued to the inside, they basically have to replace the machine which won't be cheap. Bottom line, it will be hard to keep for 8+ years because technology moves so fast, and the machine will be so out of date. It is doable, though I wouldn't expect to be doing anything besides browsing the internet and very basic word processing in 8 years.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I'm guessing your iBook isn't your main machine anymore, and probably hasn't been for a while, has it?

No it is not at all, I use it every now and than because I loved that laptop. It is good for one or two tabs of internet browsing. Still solid hardware and the battery lasts longer than my current Windows laptop :rolleyes:

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Do you guys think getting the i7 and 16gb of ram will be enough to keep this machine running flawlessly for 8 years time?

Boils down to your definition of the words "enough" and "flawlessly" - and that is quite subjective from person to person.

Is it enough for me in 8 years? NOPE. Will it run anywhere near my own definition of flawlessly? Hell no. Lots of parts will likely have broken by then or be horribly slow / incompatible with the standards of the future.

varatep

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Might be a little offtopic... Is it even worth it to upgrade to 16GB RAM and wait the 3 weeks? (to try and have the laptop last/be useful as long as possible)

Also thinking of running a virtual machine, but if I don't opt for the 16GB ram, then I will bootcamp.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
For what it's worth, I am using an early 2008 Macbook Pro as my main machine for photo, video and office work. It can be a little frustrating, but I'm not upgrading this year, at least.

My mother, not the heaviest of users, has an original g3 snow ibook from 2001 as her main machine.

I would say you'll be fine.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
So, I was writing a long post on how Macbooks (or laptops in general) are easily usable for 8 years. And I'm sure that it is possible, but it might not be the most optimal way to plan your purchase.

One reason is the battery. One can expect that it will have to be replaced every 3-5 years, at a cost of $200 (?), so easily 10%-20% of the cost of a new machine.
Then since RAM can not be upgraded and also storage upgrade possibilities are very limited, one is somehow forced into higher end models.

Consider the following:
A) 13'' rMBP base with 8/256 GB: $1500
B) 13'' rMBP with i7, 16 GB, 512 GB: $2200

Now B) is what one might consider a more future proof model, while say A) might start to feel a bit limited in 3-5 years. We have a price difference of $700. Put that in a bank account and add the $200 for the battery replacement in 4 years, and you effectively have $900 towards the purchase of a new machine if you go for a mid-range configuration now. Plus whatever you can get from selling (A).

Now, if you really only want to upgrade every 8 years... for whatever reason... I still would at least pass on the i7 upgrade. I can't remember when the last time was that a computer was limited in its everyday use by the CPU. If you really worry about CPU performance I would go with the 15'' instead: quad core i7 already in the base model, almost twice as much computing power as the 13'' model.

PS: I didn't even mention repairability. Unfortunately it is close to zero. I don't think major breakdowns are that common. But even smaller things like a broken headphone jack or trackpad or WiFi antenna are quite expensive to repair on modern Macs. So I really don't think it is worth to dump extra money into some upgrade that might only really be useful in the very long term, and instead go for a mid-range configuration with a better price/performance ratio and plan to upgrade in a more reasonable 3-5 years time
frame.

Last edited:

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV

I really really despise change and having to buy new things. It causes me quite a bit of anxiety each time and it's easier for me to keep a machine for a long time (hopefully 8 years or more) by throwing a lot of money at it early on in upgrades to try and extend its longevity, rather than look for a new machine every few years :(

I have an i-7 920 in my gaming machine that's still going strong and it's probably 4-5 years old. I wouldn't expect to use it for gaming, but it's not like chips and stuff and making leaps and bounds in tech advantages at this moment.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Simple answer is yes, in still rocking my Santa Rosa macbook pro from 2007. It's not a speed demon it used to be, but it gets the job done

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Just hit 5 years with my late 2008 unibody 13-inch and it's still going strong. I have replaced the battery twice though (apple-third party-apple) and the logic board did fail once. Other than that with an SSD it's pretty smooth for my uses

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Buying a new machine causes you to have anxiety? OK then.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I'm about to purchase a Haswell based 13' rMBP and I want to keep it an absolute minimum of 8 years.

The question is: if you're told it isn't, what would you do then? You can't max it out more. Isn't the only option to just buy it and hope for the best?

As for my opinion, flawlessly no. Passably, maybe. Early Core 2 Duo computers run pretty well but are hampered by their lack of ram.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
Eight years might be a lot to expect from any laptop, but especially one that is sealed. I just did the third tear-down and cleaning of my 2011 model and there was already a lot of gunk built up from the last time. Though, mine was probably worse than for most people because I live with a couple of big hairy dogs.

That said, Apple computers have always lasted me a very long time, but I also keep them clean and cool. I have a 10 year old MDD and 14 year old Sawtooth that still see daily use. Both have had the thermal compound changed several times since purchase. The factory stuff doesn't last forever. In the past, it really starts to suffer at about the three to four year mark. I don't know what Apple is using now. Some of the newer compounds will supposedly last for eight years.

In short, I think I agree with Thundersteel. You may very well get a good eight or ten years out of it, but it might also be unwise to plan around that now.

I'd feel completely confident about getting eight years out of a new or refurbished aluminum Mac Pro tower, but that's probably not a helpful suggestion if you're needing a portable.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
My parents still have an 11 year old windows XP Dell desktop thats still running. They haven't replaced a thing on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.