16GB iPhone 6S can hold 45 minutes of 4K

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Candlelight, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

http://www.redmondpie.com/this-is-t...s-plus/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"See, as YouTuber Marques Brownlee shows in his video, the iOS Settings app helpfully tells users how much space 1 minute of video will need depending on which quality option is chosen when recording, which is great… until you look at how much storage you’ll need for just 60 seconds of 4K video: 375MB. For comparison, the same minute of 1080p video needs just 130MB, or 60MB in 720p.

If you do the math, it means a 3 minute 4K clip will roughly eat about 1 gigs of space, which means about 45 minutes of 4K video will fill up 15GB of space, which is about the maximum usable space most 16GB phones ship with."

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Realistically, you can subtract away about 11GB from that 16, because of applications and their data. So you're left with 15 minutes based on your calculations.

3. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

I don't think iphones get shipped with 15gb free space on them. More like 12gb.

4. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

15 minutes is not 11 Gb. 15 minutes is 5,6 GB.

So it's more like 30 minutes or so. Still sad.

5. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

16 - 11 = 5GB

5 x 3 = 15 minutes.

6. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I was ready to upgrade from a 5S, but decided to wait to see what the 7 brings because of the memory options. Dropping $399 on just an upgrade charge for the iPhone 6S+ with decent memory killed it for me. IMO, prices have gone up because 16GB is useless for practically everyone that uses their phone for more than calling and surfing. The 16GB 5S model I have was okay two years ago, but with higher resolution pictures, 4K video, and bigger apps, 16GB for another 2 years is untenable.

Maybe if my carrier has a sale or something, then I'll go with the 6S+ but as of now, I'll rock the 5S another year.

7. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

One my bad. Read it wrong.
    11 GB for apps and all is a little Mutch if you ask me.

8. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't know... once I start loading music, maps, pictures, etc... I can easily go up to 11-12GB.

9. Girder_Shade macrumors member

Girder_Shade

Not defending the 16GB base storage but 4K video recording is mostly pointless.
    I've had that option on my Android phones since 2013 and never used it once. I don't own a 4K TV and my phone screen isn't 4K resolution so how can I watch the videos natively anyway?

10. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

For some it's not about filming it to watch natively now but to future proof what you'd want to watch 10 years down the track when 4K is the norm.

11. crazysword macrumors newbie

This person is quite quite awful at math. 15000/375= 40 minutes

Also 16gb phones don't have 15gb available after considering the os, native apps, and the bits to bytes conversion.

12. crazysword macrumors newbie

Because you want to record is the highest available quality.

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

People considering "future proofing" are likely also the kind of people who research and will _probably_ buy a higher capacity device (like myself). People like my Mom will just record little video snippets in a lower setting and be happy as can be.

I think the problem solves itself :)

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Anybody wanting to record long videos in 4K would not buy 16gb. The average Mom shooting pics of kids does not need 4k.

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I agree. I wonder though, what is the default setting? Cause an average mom also won't go digging into settings to change 4K to 1080p

16. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I agree, 4k is pointless to me. I personally was surprised to see the 6S have 4k recording.

17. recoil80 macrumors 68000

True
    If I look at pictures taken with old smartphones or digital cameras on the new retina displays or on an iMac I am disappointed by their low resolution.
    720 and 1080p videos look great on or TV now, and even on our smartphones with their tiny screens but in a few years we'll have 4K tv and all of ours pc and mac will have high resolution displays, so we'll notice the low res of our old videos.
    If a video is quite important, like something with your children or a video you capture during a wedding it would be nice to have it in 4K so you'll be able to enjoy it with a good quality even in the future.
    Of course you can use 4K on a 16GB phone, but you have only a few minutes so forget about it if you are on vacation and don't have access to your Mac or to the cloud to store it immediately.
    32GB should be the minimum to start using 4K

18. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

There are plenty of people who have never taken any videos or even a picture. They just use the iPhone for calls, texts and emails. These people should not have to pay for a 32 or 64gb iPhone if they do not want it.

It is all about marketing when it comes to Apple, and Aplle is the best at it. Some of you people need to get over it as it is done and there is no changing it even if you think you know better than Apple.

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's pretty ridiculous how a power user would need the top-end $950 model to realistically use the 4K video feature if they would want to record over 2 hours (on the 64GB) between syncs.

64GB - 128GB - 256GB should be the lineup.

20. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

i think that would be 1080/30. Just like it is on a iPhone 6.
    On the 6 1080/60 is also a setting in the settings menu.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I still don't understand this argument. 32 or 64 should become the base model and be the same price as the current 16GB, not extra.

Even my mother who barely uses her iPhone has just 2.5GB left on her 16GB 5c. As a result, she didn't update to iOS 8 as it was too much of a hassle to delete things and redownload them, and she doesn't really use iTunes. When things like base storage impact on user experience for even the most casual user, there is a problem.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not a problem as "I still do not understand" why it seem life of death to some on Apple still doing the 16GB iPhones.

Not sure what is going on with your Mom's phone but I have a friend who has 5-6GB un-used on her 16gb iPhone 6. MORE than enough for her and many others.

In the end it does not matter what you or I think as Apple has it's own marketing thing and I got to trust that they know more than all of us!

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

If you are going to pay 650 for a 16gb iPhone, pay an extra 100 to get triple the storage. No brainer.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Of course it's not life or death, anything rarely is. But it is an annoyance.

Even with 5-6GB unused, iOS 8 required 5.8GB to be free to update over the air. On a 16GB phone which is even smaller after formatting and the OS, that's a hefty amount of space needed.

And whilst Apple do have a great marketing team, and they undoubtedly know more about what sells, that doesn't mean they have users' best interests at heart. A lot of people buy 16GB phones because they're cheaper, so undoubtedly they sell well, and maybe that's why Apple continue to offer them.

One of my favourite Steve Jobs quotes is 'If you keep your eye on the profit, you're going to skimp on the product. But if you focus on making really great products, then the profits will follow.' This seems to be especially pertinent here. 16GB, in my opinion, is skimping on the product to make sure the margins stay high. When something so simple (and, let's be honest, cheap) to address like storage size starts to impact user experience, I think that's skimping on the product.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I read somewhere that Apple has made adjustments that will still allow an over the air update, even if memory is low.

You are preaching to the choir as I see nothing wrong with a 16GB phone for those who want it. This comes up every time new phones come out. I always get the 128 but know several people who the 16GB iPhone suits them fine!