16gb iPhone NOW or wait a few months for possibly a 32gb or more???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGuy35, Mar 24, 2008.

1. MacGuy35 macrumors member

Well I really want an iPhone with the larger capacity because i'd like to carry all my music and tv shows with me. I bought the 8gb refurb. iPhone from at&t when they were $249 and turned around and sold it because I wasn't happy with the minimal storage. Now that I have enough money to buy a 16GB iPhone i'm wondering to myself if I should wait perhaps a little bit(could be soon or could be a long time) to see if they bump the storage to more than 16GB. I'd hate to buy the 16GB at a premium price right now just to see it drop and be replaced by double or even triple the storage in just a couple months. Besides, I'm not even planning on getting at&t or tmobile yet. I still have till the end of the year with sprint but I just much prefer the iPhone over the iPod touch. I like that it has a camera and a dedicated volume button, and I also like the overall design better than the touch. So please don't bash me saying why don't I just get a 32GB ipod touch instead, you already know my answer. So my question is should I just ride it out and wait perhaps a couple months?? I mean the bump is imminent, the only thing is now if I want to wait or enjoy my toy for a couple months and then regret making the switch so early?? Please discuss.

2. Keane Fan macrumors member

If I were you, I would wait. I'm waiting. I thought those $250 refurbished phones sounded like a damn STEAL... BUT I need my space. I have enough to get the 16 GB iphone but I am kind of waiting for 3g. either way I need it before I go to college which is in August so if it isn't out by then I'm buying it

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Judging by your position, i would wait until iPhone 2. I HIGHLY doubt Apple will release a 32GB version on the current iPhone out. Keep in mind though, that iPhone 2 might not be out until next year. (I'm guessing summer 2009)

Keep what you have now, and wait it out.

4. Crown macrumors newbie

I was in your shoes yesterday...i couldn't wait any longer, and I picked up a 16gb phone this morning. I unlocked and j/b it about 5 minutes after getting it home. (It took me longer to find a paper clip small enough to fit in the sim slot!) I really couldn't be happier with it. If apple comes out with something better, I'll just sell this one and upgrade.

5. MacGuy35 thread starter macrumors member

I have about 9GB of music and about 23GB+ of tv shows and movies. And honestly I hate the thought of having to decide what to leave and what to take off. I understand that the most logical thing would be to just bite the bullet and get the stupid 32GB ipod touch that way I would carry EVERYTHING without compromise. Call me stubborn but even though I could fit everything onto the 32gb touch and then some I would rather suffer with half the storage on the iphone because I like the iphone way better than the touch. Even though I wouldn't even be using the phone part LOL. I guess i'm just really picky:eek:

6. camarobh macrumors 6502

Buy it now!

If you wait for the "next great thing" you'll never have one! Buy the 16GB and enjoy it. Play lists (especially smart playlists for video) work great. As I watch TV shows or movies the next one in line is copied from its smart playlist.

I don't believe we will see a 3G any time soon, just replaced my launch day 8GB with a new 16GB.

Buy it, enjoy it.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What if you wait for 32 GB, then a month later they come out with the same (or higher) capacity but with 3G? Can you deal with that?

8. MacGuy35 thread starter macrumors member

I can definitely deal with that!:D
    The reason why is because I just want to really use it as an ipod at the moment. I don't need the phone, just like I said before I hate the ipod touch form factor. I hate that I have to look at the screen to turn down the volume. If the iphone came in 32gb flavor i'd be all over it. I could care less for 3g since i dont have at&t.

9. spook macrumors regular

strangely enough, out of the two designs I prefer the touch over the iphone, for some reason it feels stronger even thou its thinner.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So you wait for a 32GB iPhone so you can carry all your music, movies, etc.

But by then your collection has grown so it will no longer fit. Or your collection hasn't grown, but you to add some apps that are coming out this summer.

My point is that more than likely you will not be able to hold everything you want using an iPhone within the next 6 months, or maybe a year. If it is real important to you to hold everything then I would suggest looking at a Classic iPod, or possibly the Touch.

Also, it's worth noting that the Touch has space for two memory chips where as the current iPhone only has space for one. If Apple does not change the insides of the iPhone, it will continue to have half the memory as the Touch.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was planning on waiting for at least 64gb (whenever that would arrive), but I've made some preliminary playlists and I'm very happy with what I can put on the iPhone. 5 full days of music and a few hours worth of TV shows and the rest used up by photos.

My iTunes library is about 200gb but the 16gb phone is now enough for me.

3G isn't important for me. I'm only going to be checking email and messages whilst out and about. WiFi when I'm at friends or work.

But YMMV! Work out whats best for you since I can only tell you whats best for me.

12. funky macrumors newbie

You'll always be in the situation where storage isn't enough, buy now upgrade later is what I say

13. MacGuy35 thread starter macrumors member

It is very true the space about the iphone and the ipod touch. The iphone can only carry one memory chip so seeing more than 16gb on an iphone is probably going to have to wait. And well the ipod touch, ewww. LOL
    So i guess i'm just going to go with the iphone because as long as I have ALL my music i dont mind deleting shows and movies that i'll probably won't watch if I already seen them. And besides I think of it as an investment, because sooner or later those damn "unlimited" plans are probably going to lower and than i can get a plan and finally use it as a phone.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I had the iPod Touch 16GB, before selling it to get a 16GB iPhone. If anything, the Touch is too thin, the shiny back is annoying, as you struggle then to keep both sides of the device pristine and the edges scuff up way to easily.
    The iPhone's weight, thickness, external controls and speaker make it a much better proposition for me.

15. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

HAHA! I am SO glad someone else had this problem. I remember j/b-ing my iphone and then it came time to replace the sim and I was like, "Oh Sh*t, I don't know if I have a paper clip!" I searched my entire apartment for one but I couldn't find ANYTHING. I ended up taking an old guitar string, winding it around my finger and using the end of it to push it out, which was not easy.

But...to stay on topic. I would say wait. If you've already had an iphone then you're sorta immune to the initial wow factor of it, which was the only reason I was, and still am ok with the small storage. I came from a full 30 gb video ipod to an 8 gb iphone. I would say wait at least until after WWDC to see what announcements are made and then make a decision.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Here's what the refurb steal made me think: get cool-arse iPhone now. Deal with 8GB limitations. Keep 30GB Classic. Wait until iPhone gets 3G and like 64GB or whatever in a year or so. It's amazing how much less important storage space is when the price tag says "$249." However, there will always be something down the road to make the iPhone much better.

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I don't have an iPhone yet, still can't decide to buy now or wait for 3G.

Anyway, I used to be all about carrying my entire library around. I had a 30G iPod Video to do the job. I carried a little over 5,000 songs. Now really, how long would it take to listen to that? Weeks. So why bother? Having 20 TV shows and watching 1 here and 1 there didn't make sense. I sold the 30G Video and put the money towards a new Mac. I picked up a used Nano for $40 on eBay. 2 Gigs is more than enough space to carry the best of the best. I mix it up a couple of times a month. I carry about 15-20 CDs. That more than enough music to keep me going. So like I said, I only carry the best of the best now, and forget the TV shows. I'll wait until I get the iPhone before I start carrying TV shows again. So space for me is not a concern anymore. My wife and I just don't want to go out and drop a grand on 2 new phones and a few months later the new hottness comes out.

18. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

Movies and TV

Stupid question here - where are you all downloading your movies and TV from?

19. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Pull the shows over from my Tivo. I don't pay for TV. That's just silly.

20. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If you want it now - buy it now
    If you need it now - but it now
    If you want to wait - wait

Your not going to miss out on anything from buying it now. You get the 32GB, then they announce a 64GB, then you keep waiting until...... well, until you realize that you wasted the past year for the latest thing that will always keep getting announced.

Your call.

21. pattman247 macrumors regular

I don't understand why you rather wait for the plans to get cheaper BEFORE you use your iphone as a phone, since when you unlock it it truly becomes yours. You decide what carrier you want to use, and what plan as well.
    You might as well go the pay as you go route and use ten dollar phone cards :D then at least you will use your "phone" as a phone.

22. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

Now if you can either post here or PM me how to do this with my Tivo I would greatly appreciate it.

23. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I usually agree with the "if you wait for something better you will never buy something" maybe if you asked 1 month ago i wuld tell you to buy the current one. The rumors and data is really heavy now on the new 3g Iphone just wait until june unless you can sell it and spend 100$ or 200S for a the new 3g.

That is my suggestion.

24. heyp macrumors 6502

i'm also interested in this

25. Blevyouknow macrumors newbie

I was going to wait and then saw the refurb and had to grab it. I'm glad I did. I was also worried about the edge or 3g situation. I am completely happy with the edge and haven't even used a wifi yet. (company firewall blows)

If the refurb didn't come along I wouldn't have gotten one and was going to wait.