16gb iphones shipping.

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by jimpo, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dlastmango macrumors 6502

Im in the process of reading this whole thread. :p

2. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I have a feeling that 16 GB iPhone models will use the old $599 price point.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

4. Invasion macrumors newbie

That clearly shows it is fake. The OS takes up space too so even if theres no music or videos on, it it should still say about 300MB used... :rolleyes:

5. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

OMG OMG OMG!! Your store has 78Gb iPhones?!?!

6. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

the images are no proof, but that it besides the point. The 16 gb isn't coming until january @ the earliest. remember the 8 gig price cut??? wasn't that aimed at the holiday season? So why would they release another model in october? just doesn't make sense.:rolleyes:

7. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

8. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, or if you're just plain stupid. There's no way that you can come to the conclusion you came to without first reading the thread, where NUMEROUS people have pointed out the FAKENESS of this "announcement".

I don't mean to be repeating what others have said, but for our friend Joshua here, allow me to summarize what discoveries have been stated throughout this thread:

* The Serial Number and other incriminating evidence has been smudged/blurred/altered using Photoshop.

* It is too soon for Apple to release a 16 GB iPhone, since as many here have stated, there is no way the iPhone can have 16 GB of storage at this point in time. Yes, the iPod touch has 16 GB of capacity, but that's because it has two 8GB flash drives in it, which was also stated many times throughout this thread.

* If there were truly shipping, it would be on the front page of Apple.com, and there would have been a formal announcement. Show me such a thing and I'll jump through a flaming hoop on a unicycle.

I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but please read the entire thread before posting such nonsense.

You and jimpo both have been PWNED.

9. carltabet macrumors member

16GB is the marketed capacity and 14.4GB could be the actual capacity after a factory format. Same as an 8GB iPhone, I don't own one but I assume they have less than that, probably 7.2GB or so. I'm extrapolating based on what I know on hard drives but it should be the same with flash chips.

10. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Vous ete correct. My iPhone has a capacity of 7.27 GB. About 730 MB is being used up by the OS and other system related processes. A 16 GB iPhone's usable capacity would be something like 15.27 or something GB (I'd assume something similar to the 8 GB iPhone's 7.27 GB).

Also, to further back my post a few posts up, here's the specs page for the current iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

If this was indeed true, that page would read

Before you jump to conclusions and say IT DOES EXIST... YOU JUST PROVED IT... read again: If this was indeed true, that page would read

11. carltabet macrumors member

Danbury may be the most boring place ever but you have an iPhone and I don't! ;)

12. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Haha yeah. I didn't mean to rub it in that I have one and you don't. Sorry if I came across like that in my post. I was trying to further debunk this myth that jimpo started.

13. carltabet macrumors member

Oh no worries there I have a huge sense of humor. This whole thread reminds me of Apple Expo Paris and how some of us were dreaming of such an announcement. What were we thinking?

Macworld 08 at the earliest I say.

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

agreed.

plus 8gb is more than enough for me.

15. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Phew. Thanks. lol. Ya MWSF 2008 for an ANNOUCEMENT of the 16 GB iPhone. lol

Also, I thought Orange was talking with Apple about bringing the iPhone to France...

16. carltabet macrumors member

Oh sweet Lord, I can't tell you how sick we are here in France. We are in the dark because Apple and Orange have been in disagreement for several weeks now. Apple has tried to re-negotiate the contract while Orange made things worse and pre-announced the iPhone before them. That was sacrilegeous to say the least! We don't have a release date yet whereas the UK and Germany had official announcements. Some very recent rumors claim that things have finally been worked out and we might get it at the end of November. Missing Christmas holidays would have been quite stupid and a big loss of revenue for Heckle & Jeckle.

17. pscoble macrumors 6502

..man.. the iTunes icon isn't even straight if your going to kill your rep do it well.

18. basicfiend macrumors member

Samsung does make 16GB ram chip

Samsung released 16GB chip on May 1, 2007. For reference, the 8GB chip that the iPhone currently uses was released in Aug 2006 and used in the iPhone in June 2007 production runs, but that delay could be attributed to it being the original release of the product. It seems very likely that Apple could have integrated a May 2007 chip into the iPhone by Sept. 2007 and be able to ship them now.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/14236/highest-capacity-memory/

They'd have to price the 16GB iPhone above the 16GB Touch, or risk cannibalizing Touch sales (unless revenue sharing with AT&T is unlike anything anyone has imagined).

19. lazereth macrumors newbie

Obvious Issues here!

Guys,

two points -

1) the serial number would be smudged otherwise the guy risks losing his job, pension and possibly imprisonment as they could trace the batch number - Apple inventorizes everything going out and where it is heading for - so nothing amazing there BUT

2) Its not usual for an Apple reseller to open a boxed item, remove all the packaging and play around with it - Apple usually has strict reseller controls on the products and i can absolutely say without any hesitation is that (with the exception of the flagship stores), Apple wont put stock into a location BEFORE the announcement. Remember the delivery issues regarding the iPhone when it was launched?

So whilst id love to say that its real, my feeling is that someone has taken the screen shot of a iTouch and grafted sections onto this one.

From initial indications 1.1.2 was a temporary build for the UK market to show O2's logo when the announcement was made a few weeks ago (instead of ATT) and there are some graphical changes. These arent apparent in this version of the image.

QED

20. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Thats because um, oh ya! he smudged out the serial number, DUH!!!!
    Come on people.

21. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

22. flir67 macrumors 6502

LOL!!!... done with MS PAINT

roflmao......

23. djkirsten macrumors regular

How I would have done it

here is a little how to on making fake iphone screens.

1. Find the image of the screen you want to modify (im pretty sure every screen has been screen grabbed by one of the hackers)
    2. Photoshop the selected screen (in this case the about settings screen)
    3. Save as an image that can be synced to the iPhone
    4. Sync to iPhone and display photoshopped screen grab in photos
    5. Take a couple good photos from another device and post immedietly

If you follow these steps you can fake any new features, firmware versions, new settings, new apps etc.

Cmon folks, if youre gonna try to make a fake at least make it good.

24. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

close this thread. SO dumb. i don't know how we discuss for 177 posts, a completely and obviously false rumor. a newbie (joined MR in oct 2007) posts a ridiculous rumor and starts lots of over-zealous conversation.

i'm curious if anyone realizes that it's funnier to rumor-starters when a thread like this gains momentum. "Hey, look what i just did in the macrumors forums to all those fanboys."

please, stop giving lip service to this OBVIOUSLY made up rumor. i know. i know. we're a rumor site; but at least let's talk about PAGE1. even some page two, though. When engadget and gizmodo both say "this looks fake, problably is" it's because it most likely is.

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I agree this should be closed. I know it is now on page 2, but really. There is no discussion here, just everyone going "it's a fake, it's a fake"