16Gb or 32Gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omgbeckyy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. omgbeckyy macrumors newbie

Hello,
    In my other thread i mentioned getting an iPhone 3GS. i am not sure whico capacity to get. I have 1.60 gb of music. And about 3 to 6 gigs of videos i realize i will have 6-9gigs left for apps and jailbreak stuff. Is that enough?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

It's not enough. Go with the 32GB iPhone and you'll live without regrets.

3. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i probably should have mentioned that i have a 32GB iPhone 4s as my phone. The 3GS is just an iPod. So is 16gb good enough for just using as an ipod?

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I don't know how to answer this question.

5. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

7. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

Why not just use your phone as your iPod?

16GB is probably fine just for music, I always go for 32GB though. But I only use my iPhone.

8. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont jailbreak my primary iPhone. Thats another reason to buy the 3gs. I calculated everything and i would have 9GB left for a few apps. Only like 5-10. And jailbreak tweaks etc. so can anyone conclude this is enough. I only have 245 songs

9. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

You're better off getting an iPod, specifically an iPod touch capacity of at least 32GB. Perhaps even buying a 3GS 16GB will be more expensive than simply buying a iPod touch 32GB.

If you want to go even cheaper...

Refurbished iPod touches (Mostly 4th Generation):

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch
    Currently, they do not have a 16GB
    Refurbished iPod Touches are NOT that bad. My friend bought a refurbished iPod touch and his was as good as new, almost pristine. Of course, it all boils down to luck.

If you're bent on geting an iPhone 3GS for your 'iPod' needs (which I deep down advise you to simply get an iPod touch), get the 16GB model. For a 1 GB of Music adding to about 6GB of videos will give you mostly 8GB of space occupied for media. And you have another ample 8GB of storage for Apps. Not to mention you have another 32GB iPhone 4S which will serve your needs for your essential apps.

16GB is what you should go for if you're in a rather 'tight' budget but yet still want a iPhone for your iPod needs. If you have enough money to top up and cash out for instead a 32GB iPhone go ahead and do so. And if the price difference between the 16GB model and the 32GB model is minimal go ahead with the 32GB.

But I'll just say if you can just go with a 16Gb iPod which I believe will suit your needs similarly.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I have a 16gb and wish I got a 32gb. I use my iPhone for music and with my apps and some jailbreak stuff I have to limit my music to 3-4GB. Then I use my phone as my camera + random videos and I get full notification too often. I listen to music nearly 4-5 hours a day at work so I have to resync every 3-4 days. Sure it's not bad but annoying. 32GB I don't have to worry about removing images to HDD and can sync more music etc. I also had to delete a few games that I casually play.

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I don't see the point in jailbreaking a phone which isn't your primary phone. Why do you need to jailbreak a secondary device? It isn't like the tweaks are going to help the workflow on your primary phone and why do you need tweaks if the 3GS is "just an iPod". And why not get a 3G iPod Touch which is much cheaper and the same thing pretty much minus the phone bit.

----------

Apple refurbs are like brand new devices, the outside is replaced and the only reused bits are internals, they even put in a new battery. So it isn't luck, it's just normal.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just get a 16/32GB touch as others have said. I'd get a 16GB, it's cheaper plus 6-9GB ish is plent for apps.

13. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Im buying a gamestop refurb for 200 i only have 1.5 gb of music. 3-6 gigs of video. Which is all on my 4s anyway. And im just gonna install a couple apps. Thats it. So after putting ny stuff on their, is 6-9 gigis enough for JB stuff?

14. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I opted for the 16GB 4S, and soon realized I made a mistake not getting the 32. I have close to 800 songs and 1400 photos and ran out of room. I guess that's what iCloud is for though. I did go for 32 gigs when I bought this new iPad.

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

You've answered your own question. You have way under 16 GB of stuff, and already have another device. I am not sure what jailbreak stuff you are talking about, but the jailbreak itself doesn't take any space.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

18. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided on a 32gb. Only a $20 difference in price. You didnt have to be so sassy about it. Thanks to everyone else who helped

19. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

No regrets!

20. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

16GB is barely enough to hold my music. I have 32GB on my phone.

21. omgbeckyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup! I have to wait a little longer to have enough money, but it will be better

22. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

16gb makes fitting everything you want on there a challenge. It can be done, but it is not convenient. A 32Gb gives you alot more freedom.

23. 725032 Guest

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You know, as obsessed I am with my iProducts and music, I've ALWAYS been a 16 kind of guy. But here recently, especially with the 1080p on the 4S, I've been pushing the capacity limits of my phone and have had to delete some video from time to time to make room for more.

I think that I'll be going with a 32 for the first time this next go round.

25. goldhunter macrumors newbie