16gb ram - corsair now $110 free shipping on amazon

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by T4R06, Apr 11, 2012.

1. inhaliburton macrumors newbie

32 gb RAM in Mac Mini?

I read somewhere that 32 gb of RAM is doable in a mac mini. Possible?

2. thedoofa macrumors member

I know it's possible in the 2011 iMac but not sure about the Mini. I upgraded last week to 16gb (purchased the Corsair RAM thru Amazon for £103) and it's a dream!

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The quad core in the Mini Server only supports up to 16 GB. Only some of the quad core mobile CPUs support 32 GBs of RAM, like the higher options in the MBP range. Besides that you would also require 16 GB memory sticks since the MBP/Mini only has two memory slots. I haven't see any for sale yet.

5. inhaliburton macrumors newbie

My question was answered.

Thank you!

Regards, Paul.

6. etsi macrumors regular

I have the same memory but the one that is marked as Mac memory was cheap also on amazon co uk

Corsair answered to me to buy the Mac memory

We would highly recommend going with CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9.

Officially Apple only supports a total of 8GB of memory for that system.

Here is a list of Apple systems we have tested that memory on:

http://www.corsair.com/memory/mac-m...dr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa16gx3m2a1333c9.html

7. T4R06 thread starter macrumors 65816

pure marketing. the one i posted is working perfectly on my 2011 mini

8. T4R06 thread starter macrumors 65816

sure! now it goes down to $108

9. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Man...I'm trying not to spend money and stuff like this doesn't help. Must. Not. Click. Buy!

10. OSXjamel macrumors newbie

11. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Current Mac mini and mbp for sure. Probably current generation iMac as well.

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

All current Gen Apple computers with the exception of the Mac Pro (since it uses desktop RAM) and Macbook Airs (since their memory is soldered on).

13. 544263, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

544263 Suspended

Not 100% true. - I have purchased the NON-mac Memory and actually there is a difference, at least to my knowledge:

the MAC memory is dual channel
    the non-MAC memory is single channel

I do have installed the non-MAC memory in my early-2011 macbook pro and it does NOT work stable. - I tried to save a couple of bucks on getting the non-MAC RAM, now i have to buy both as the non-MAC is not 100% stable. (approx. 1-2 reboots per week because it freezes!)

I also thought it is pure marketing, but there actually IS this difference. ...

Check this out:
    http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/laptop-memory-upgrades.html

These are the two modules. If you go to details/tech specs on each, you will see the difference dual vs. single channel ...

-> On the german site (http://www.corsair.com/de/memory/laptop-memory-upgrades.html)
    it will display "Dual channel" for MAC memory, and "Single Module" for the non-MAC.
    On the english site it shows "Dual Channel" vs. "SO-DIMM" ...

I do have already ordered the MAC modules now, i can let you know if there is a noticable speed difference based on geekbench tests ....

memtest OSX randomly finds errors during RAM tests, but not always .... really hard nailing it down to a specific module ... when i tried each module individually, it couldn't find any errors, only when both modules were running at the same time!

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Ummm what?!?! Dual channel vs Single channel memory has nothing to do with the actual memory (other than you need like pairs). The memory controller is what determines whether the memory runs at dual channel or single.

And yes "Mac" memory for the most part is purely marketing. Yes Mac's tend to use a narrower band of timings on their memory than say HP or Dell, but as long as the memory you buy has reviews stating John Doe used X memory is his Mac and it worked fine, then you should be golden. I buy non-Mac branded memory this way all the time.

15. philipma1957, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

wrong for 2011 macs

correct for 2011 macs

(all minis macbook pros imacs from 2011 with sandy bridge)

dual memory vs single module is 1 stick vs 2 sticks. the first quote just got a bad stick of ram. I have used more then 100 sticks of ram in 2011 mac minis. the 2011 mac mini is the closeest to "honey bagder don't care" of all minis with ram.

16. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    about the 'single channel' & ''dual channel' memory:
    of course franky303 is wrong and paulrbeers is right.
    The "how many channels do I have" is determined by motherboard design [memory controller].
    In my (real) workstation I have a 'quad channel' memory (and 16 memory slots & 64GIGs of memory)...
    (And also not the 'Mickey Mouse' memory like in these computers but 'registered' a fully 'buffered'...)

17. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Just as a pricing update, there seems to be a sale once every few weeks on newegg that offers 2x8GB so-dimms for $80-85. I got a generic 2x4GB set from GSkill there and they work flawlessly (whereas multiple Mac-specific sets from OWC had been nothing but trouble).

18. 544263 Suspended

Well, in theory you are right. FACT is, though, that the normal non-mac-memory RAM resulted in errors.

Now for the fun part: you could run the laptop with only 1 module, for hours and hours in x86 memtest. - No error.

As soon as i put two modules in, it resulted in x86 memtest errors ...

As soon as i've exchanged to the mac memory, i haven't experienced these problems.

And, once again: each module just by itself did NOT give any errors.

Explain that.

19. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

20. The HACK macrumors newbie

21. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2 hours is fine

22. 544263, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

544263 Suspended

If the incompability wouldn't have happened to me, my reaction would have been the exact same as Stan's. However, it's even mentioned on wikipedia's "Multi-channel memory architecture" article:

Some motherboards have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of memory when attempting to use them in dual-channel mode. For this reason, it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules, which is why most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched-pair DIMMs.

Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used. A matching pair needs to match in:

• Capacity (e.g. 1024 MiB). Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode: the capacity that can be matched is run in dual-channel, while the remainder runs in single-channel.
    • Speed (e.g. PC5300). If speed is not the same, the lower speed of the two modules will be used. Likewise, the higher latency of the two modules will be used.
    • Same CAS Latency (CL) or Column Address Strobe.
    • Number of chips and sides (e.g. two sides with four chips on each side).
    • Matching size of rows and columns
    That's why you will most likely be absolutely happy with any random stock memory, but not necessarily. Wouldn't have believed it myself either, until i was unlucky one single time out of many.