16GB SSD is enough...1GB ram is enough ? Just because the price ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jul 8, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why some people here defend Apple in doing something cheap.
    I understand some people wouldn't need all the space. But why say it's enough for everyone when it is not true. When the first iPhone came out. It didn't have a high resolution screen and the Apps didn't even exist yet. The camera only took 2MP pictures. Everything needed little usage.
    But today with the iPhone 6 Plus you need at least 32GB for it to not ran out of space so fast.
    With the new huge apps. 16GB is almost useless. For a phone that people sign 2 year contract. They have to keep deleting every time just to fit in. 1GB of ram is garbage for such a high OS demand.
    I guess the people who thinks it's okay are people who does not want to feel bad that they only have that much amount of RAM / Storage.

I hope Apple for the 6S has a 32GB storage and 2GB of RAM
    With a better camera and screen.

2. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Nope, 16 GB is perfect for Entry-level-, People with good Data-Plans and Business-Costumers to get really good Smartphone. And living in a Internet-Era you can stream your Music, Videos and your Photo-library. So if you don't download any Games like GTA SA that take a lot of Space, 16 GB are fine. 1 GB of RAM too, because Apple doesn't waste it like Android and more RAM would decrease the Battery-life.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a theory that a lot of those who pummel you here in the MR forums for having more capacity than they think you need (ie., more than 16GB) are cash/credit poor trend followers (and the iPhone is trendy). Notice I make a difference between those who only buy what they need and have no issues with others buying what they want and those who as I said pummel others for buying more than that user thinks anyone needs or should have.

Since no one knows what capacity iPhone you are carrying without checking, these 'trend followers' are hipsters who have the latest iPhone and are way cool without anyone knowing they sprang for the base model only.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Usually I would agree but 16GB is not enough anymore. My dad who owns a 16Gb 5S is constantly running out of space. He has maybe 100 songs, espn and solitaire app and thats it. Its all being used from photos and videos. With many people using their iPhones as cameras, 16GB is not enough for an entry level smartphone.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

They make more money keeping it at 16GB. Plus, they probably enjoy watching you squeal!

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I use the camera some, but transfer the photos to my computer or the Cloud. Music is a none issue as well, don't need it. Email a little, texting a bit, but when I go out, I go places, and never need the phone other than the camera that I use most. For me, and others like me, 16 GB is enough. Kids like more than older adults, so each there own.

7. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

I only Use 64GB and up because I have a Ton of Videos and Apps on my iPhone. But my Parents in Law bought 2 ipads and 1 iPhone last year alone as their very first iOS devices. All are 16GB but with ICloud-Photos and iTunes Match they wont mind Upgrade Storage, even if they could.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I really wish Apple would move to 32GB base storage. Not because I need it, but because more and more competitors have already started to embrace it. I know it's not guaranteed for the iPhone 6s, but if it doesn't come for that model, then it will for the iPhone 7. It's been six years since the base storage has been increased, so I think it's time.

As for the 2GB of RAM, the iPhone 6s should have it, as will the iPhone 7. The earliest we should see more than that is the iPhone 7s.

What I do want to see though is the 5GB iCloud limit increased to at least 10GB. 2016 will be 5 years since iCloud, so it would be a perfect time (not to mention one year after Google Photos).

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

How does more RAM make it worse overall? Android doesn't necessarily waste it, it gets used. Newer RAM modules use even less power than previous modules which can mean adding more and using less or the same as current RAM modules. Also, holding more programs in memory means less reloading of those programs compared to having to call them up from storage and reallocate resources again. If people seriously think that adding more RAM is going to impact their battery that much, they must be delusional. It might help your phone last an extra 20 minutes standby, 20 seconds usage? It doesn't matter, it's a terrible argument and needs to end.

10. rockitdog Suspended

This is the great thing, everyone has a choice. Nobody is forced into a 16GB device.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

On my personal iPhone 6 Plus, I knew that 16GB was too limiting (my previous iPhone 5 was 32GB with only 11GB free when I upgraded), so I went for a 64GB 6+. Meanwhile, I knew that for my work phone, I wasn't going to use it for photos or music (just a few work related apps here and there), so I just stuck back to a 16GB iPhone 6 for that.

12. AYNOM macrumors regular

The storage was done the way it is to get people to spend the extra $100.

It's fairly simple.

13. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Makes me laugh sometimes when people forget Apple is still a company that's trying to make as much money as possible regardless of what people wish they would do.

14. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

2GB of RAM would be perfect, it doesn't decrease battery life or make the device worse at all, just look at how the iPad Air 2 run perfectly. Apple really should've bumped the iPhone 6's RAM to 2GB, last time Apple doubled the RAM on a S model was for the 3GS so it makes no sense that the 6 have 1GB of RAM. But again, as stated before, Apple is a company and profit is number one priority.

15. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

While it's true that some people do not need extra storage, I completely disagree in regards to RAM. Having tabs constantly being purged from memory and reload as well as media rich sites reload and/or crash as you are scrolling through them is unacceptable.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

According to Apple they are working on a complete OS overhaul for their iPhones. Software and apps are supposed to be much smaller in size and way more efficient.

If so maybe 1Gb RAM will be enough. ;)

17. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Split Screen Multitasking just called to say hi :cool:

18. rockitdog Suspended

iOS 8 is currently around 4.58 GB
    iOS 9 around 1.3 GB!!

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Makes you wonder how the decreased the size.

20. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

21. rockitdog Suspended

Probably not! Apple has also increased the size allowance of their apps to 4GB... they apps are not only getting bigger, their getting more resource hungry.

22. rockitdog Suspended

23. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

No doubt, but I still believe they are holding off on bumping the base model for the iphone 7.

24. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

My Note 3 has 3GB of ram and the battery life is fantastic.

That argument for keeping 1GB ram is one of the worst I've ever heard. Having more ram is only beneficial.

25. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

You missed the OPs point entirely. 16GB may be enough for you and some others today, but for a $600+ phone there is no excuse that we are still stuck with a base 16GB that has been the standard for years, while Android phones continue to come with 32GB and 64GB standard depending on the model, as well as being cheaper. Not to mention that some people keep their phone for 2 years, so after 2 years usage will be even higher and their phones will continue to fill up.

Apps get larger, media is higher quality, people use their phones now more than ever, and most providers provide users with very small amounts of data per month meaning more media is stored locally. For the life of me I do not understand why someone would WANT Apple to stick with smaller storage and RAM, when we know it will not effect the price as Apple has kept the same retail prices for years.