17”MBP really gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ROGERWILCO357, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

have the 17’s really been discontinued and why? Man I was looking to get one for the screen size .. anyone know if they will be back ?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Gone forever...Officially I'm afraid. I was initially reluctant to sell mine but replaced it with an rMBP...You have probably read this before, but try one...You won't miss the hefty 17" once you do...I have a maxed out 13", and yes it's enough real-estate, it's faster than my 17" was it's lighter, more portable etc. etc.

Get down to an Apple store and get hands on with one is what I recommend...You will get it then ( I didn't until I tried one):)

3. mykem macrumors regular

You can a refurbished one from Apple online store. It's probably the best option for a new 17" MBP.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True, they come up from time to time...Still worth checking out the Retina stuff though...I really don't miss carting the monster around now.

5. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

really

so on average what do they go for used ? I may have to go that route.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I honestly think the 'why' of it has less to do with market share and more to do with the fact that a 17" Retina display would be a 4k display, which is barely ready for consumer HDTV production at any kind of reasonable price and would certainly be prohibitively expensive to produce in a 17" screen. Their $3000 price point would become $5000 or more.

I suspect we will see another one eventually, when the technology is ready.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OLED was a rumoured candidate for a 17" MBP a while back, but as you say a 4K screen isn't ready...And do you want to pay for that spec?

What would we have?

1) Large SSD

2) No Optical

3) Range of CPU's

4) One heck of a price tag...

There are still people using the 17" I see them, but they are dwindling, and folks are all over my rMBP wherever I go...I was VERY cynical about them, held out until 5 weeks ago, but I don't regret the change...It just makes sense.

8. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

9. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Don't pay any attention to these sorts...

Blah blah blah... This person is really excited for following the trends and regurgitating what others say, even though others have no sense, rhyme or reason for saying anything. Blah blah blah. I don't understand this gurgling noise being typed.

^_^

----------

Yes, the refurbs now are all new, they just had to repackage them in plain boxes and tear the sticker from the plastic cover, these are basically their over stock. Get one and then MAX it the heck out. You wont regret it as it will be future proof for over 15 years if you baby her.

10. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

well

I see the price going up but for the photographer that needs that real estate and clarity of the new screens its a must have especially for processing and working on certain photographs that need to be perfect before print. I have seen them as of tonight for 1100 to 1300 2-3 years of age with some applecare still left may have to pop on one.
    thanks
    Roger

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

No.

You are delusional and egotistical. People look at you and are all over you because they are thinking: "how curious this character is with this fancy gadget, why would anyone pay that much for a consumer good anyhow, we're still on the fence but we'll never actually jump for one but in the mean time lets just be nosy... he seems to not mind it!"

I haven't seen a single "retina macbook" around, anywhere, I see mostly 13, 15 current and 17 inchers, no one in their right mind can actually afford cash up front for one. Those machines are so bug ridden and they are not even 2 years old yet. Bunch of garbage, I'm shocked mine is perfect hah. But it runs too hot, so I mainly use my 17 incher for all my production needs and use the 15 inch r-macbook in my kitchen or bathroom to enjoy movies and emailing everywhere, that's what it seems to do best at.

My 17"MBP boots up in less than 9 seconds and shuts down in less than 1 second, it runs cool most of the time, while warmish under turbo boost. If I ran heavy jobs with the retina, it would basically fry a few eyes and burn the tips of my fingers. The only great thing about the retina is its screen.

Anyways - as long as it is an apple machine you're on the good side of the fence. Happy surfing.

12. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

13. theluggage macrumors 68030

You may have left it a bit late - my local reseller had 2011 17"ers in stock a month or two back, but they no longer list them...

I recently stuck a SSD in mine, and moved the old HD to the optical bay, and it feels like a new machine - no real incentive to upgrade apart from the desire for a new shiny thing.

Its probably worth going to a store and having a good go with the rMBP, though - it may have a smaller screen, but it has far more pixels than the 17" so you will be able to display larger photos at pixel-for-pixel size (eyesight permitting!).

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Where have all the 17's gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago
    Apple's kicked them every one
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the Apple's gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago
    taking mainstream sizes every one

Where have all the big screens gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the big screens gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the big screen gone?
    Replaced with tiny pixels every one

Where have all the pixels gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago
    Gone to retina every one

Where have all the retinas gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago
    Soldered in parts every one
    When will we ever learn?
    When will we ever learn?

15. leman macrumors 604

They discontinued the 17" long before the retina model hit the stage. The problem with it was that almost nobody was buying the thing. And besides, with 15" laptops having the same real screen estate and performance, there is no much reason for building a bulkier laptop.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Hm? The 17" was discontinued exactly when the 15" retina was announced at WWDC 2012.

Up until that point it had been updated along with the rest of the models including early and late 2011.

17. leman macrumors 604

Oh, you are right! Silly me, I must have mixed some thing up - for some reason I though it was discontinued a year earlier :eek:

18. LuxoJunior macrumors member

Agreed. Plus, the anti-glare of the 17" is far superior to the retina, not to mention the ability to put another drive into the optical bay. I've got a 512GB SSD as my boot and a 1TB as a secondary drive. Can't get over 1.5TB in a retina MBP.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I can definitely see this happening. As 4k permeates the industry, becomes cheaper...it may happen. a 4k, 17" MBP would be a specialty, niche product, but none-the less...it would be sweet!

I'm not sure that you aren't the delusional one. I've got a pair of 2011 17" MBPs and a pair of 15" rMBPs...we've also upgraded our 17s with SSDs. They're nice...but in no way, shape or form do they compare to our new rMBPs. The display is obvious---but the addition of USB3, twin T/B ports (if you really ARE a production/creative user needing external storage and display options), HDMI, and the SD card slot is a nice addition....I always loved having the PCMICA slot on the 17"...but T/B and USB3 options are significantly more 'friendly' when it comes to peripherals. We use our rMBPs for nothing BUT production---both video and audio. 'Bug-Ridden'----WTH are you talking about? IR issues? Easy fix, take it to Apple---get a new display. Other than that...I've had no problems, and as you say---yours is 'perfect', right? So you use it to check your emails on the toilet???? Why did you keep it? Comments like yours are ridiculous. As an owner of both---and a long time 17" owner, the 15" rMBP is an awesome change for us, for our company---and we've got absolutely NO regrets and had NO bugs....other than an LG display that was immediately replaced by Apple when brought in.

The rMBP, in 25 years of purchasing computers is hands down the best computer I've ever owned. And I'm seeing plenty of them 'around town' as well! Not sure where you're living...but they're selling pretty well in my neck of the woods!

J

20. ozbilge10 macrumors member

ozbilge10

21. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I love it when the comments become an argument between Chocolate and Strawberry ice cream.

"My favorite is better because it is better" -A

"Your favorite is clearly wrong, and anyone that disagrees is obviously a goat from Mars" -B

:D

The original question has been answered: the 17" has been discontinued. RIP.

As you were...

22. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I had 2009 17" MBP and the 2011. I loved both of them. However, I sold my 2011 last year for a very good price and bought a the 15" rMBP.

I'm pretty happy with the machine now, however, I had to replace the screen once.
    If Apple would release another 17" model in the future I'd probably buy it.

Honestly, I don't believe that most people bought the 15" over the 17" because of the size or the weight, I think the bought the 15" because it was a few hundred bucks cheaper.
    I bet If they had offered the 17" for the same prize, sales would have been much better.

The retina offers higher pixel density yes, and you can scale it up to 1920x1200 in terms of workspace, but things get pretty small. I usually use 1680x1050.
    Also the performance on scaled resolution is not as got as I would like.
    Most things the retina offers is luxury. Productivity wise, the 17" can still be a better choice for some people.
    Also, a lot of apps, are still having performance issues with the retina resolution, especially Parallels 8 (in my case)

A refurbished 17" is a good choice for sure.

23. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Laptops are not a one size fits all affair. I used to buy laptops primarily because of the reduced space they took up on my desk and the drastically reduced power consumption. Now that battery technology and processor efficiency are at a point where all-day usage of a machine without a bulky extended battery is feasible, its portability is a lot more of an issue. As a result my last 17" was in 2008 (the first unibody model).

It's still just one piece of the puzzle, though- and I would consider buying another computer that large were the benefits sufficient. I would be strongly tempted to shell out $3500 for a 17" Retina with dual 1TB SSDs in RAID and 32GB of RAM. A machine of that calibre might even make my current docking setup redundant.

24. jeblis macrumors regular

They didn't sell well. In the last quarter they were available they sold ~50,000 compared to 1.5 million 13" MBPs.

Take a look at the 15" retinas, they have a much higher pixel count and can scale to the same resolution (or higher) than an older 17" MBP. Of course everything will look smaller, but it should be much better defined.

25. adww12321 macrumors member

fake retina :)

I had serious retina envy, but didn't move from the 17"... yet.

For those with similar retina envy, one cute trick you can play with the 17" (if your eyesight isn't what it used to be) is to install switchresx and fake ML into running it HiDPI mode (I run at HiDPI 1440x900).

you lose some desktop space, but at least the text is somewhat higher resolution. (retina-lite? :) )