17¨MacBook Pro won´t start up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rei101, Nov 1, 2013.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Ok

I tried to power up and nothing. The sleeping light flashes in a series of 3, or is dimed.

Screen is black and it tries to read from he drive but it just can´t.

I inserted an OS disc, it spins but does not reads.

Is this a fried mother board?

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

macbook pro model ?.....

sounds like the infamous 8600gt video card issue, cant tell without at least what model were talking about.

3. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I went to the apple store yesterday because it was overheating and they told me was the fan of the video card. How do I fix that?

It power up this morning just fine but I know the hours are counted. If from 2007-2008.

What do you know about the issue?

Thank you.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would say that is the case then , the 8600gt has overheated.

replacing the fan will not fix the issue , it will need to be replaced anyway but that logic board will need to be replaced or baked in a oven(sounds crazy but its worked great for me) to repair the video chip, i wouldn't recommend that route unless you know what your doing.

since fans are cheap(ebay 10$-15$) you can replace it and see if it can hold up.

good luck,

5. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I bake it? I could do that just to try.

6. sabbyp macrumors regular

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2080412

unless you've researched it (preferable spoken to someone who's done it before?) don't do it unless you want a completely, and literally fried logic board.

the whole point of it is that the solder re-flows back to the channels where it should be, but if you do it for too long it'll screw up other components. it's also a hilariously hardcore way to fix something.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i prefer a 285-300 F bake at 5 minutes for a logic board.

the board MUST be perfectly level or the solder could run.

level it out on a bakesheet and put it in the oven, you can use a regular oven.

8. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And why is that trick? what happen to be the problem it fixes? because it could be resolved by regular soldering, no? do you have any link that explains that?

9. triplelucky macrumors regular

There are “tiny little balls” underneath that video chip that make contact with the pads on the logic board. With enough time and heat some of them can loose contact or make contact only intermittently.

To make matters worse there is a layer on the top of that actual video chip substrate that can become defective with enough heat.

A really good technician with a lot of experience and a hot air rework station might be able to reflow it and get it to work for a while.

The only way to really repair it, assuming that is the problem, would be to have a new video chip properly installed by someone with the proper equipment to reball it and X-ray check it.