17" 2.33 ghz MBP battery won't charge...what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freeedge369, Apr 8, 2008.

1. freeedge369 macrumors member

[​IMG]
    What should I do? Back up to my external and bring it to my apple store and ask them to diagnose the problem and replace the faulty component? As you can see, the Mac is 10 months old, so it's still under warranty.

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

if there's an apple store nearby, just take it in and they'll replace the battery. they should replace it on the spot, since you're still in the 1 year warranty. I doubt they'll want to take the computer.

if they do want to take the computer for some reason, go home and back up first. if you're really far from the apple store so you dont want to suffer the slight chance of two trips, you may want to do that first.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It may be worthwhile testing it with another charger first, and resetting the SMC. :)

4. freeedge369 thread starter macrumors member

The SMC fix didn't work, and the only other charger in the house is my mom's Macbook charger, which I don't think would work... I've tried both heads for my charger (the nub and the cord) and neither will charge the battery, though both provide power just fine.
    If the problem is with the charger, will Apple make me buy a new one, or replace it since it came with the computer?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's covered under the warranty too, so they'd replace it. It sounds like the battery's probably dead though, so take it back. :)

6. freeedge369 thread starter macrumors member

I called Apple just now and was told I'd be mailed a new battery immediately.

Thanks for all the help guys.

7. freeedge369 thread starter macrumors member

I actually take it back. The new battery wouldn't charge either, so I get to go 5-10 business days without a computer.

Oh joy.

8. iLLucionist macrumors regular

I know EXACTLY what is wrong

Hi, I had the same problem with a MacBook Pro 15.4" Merom. Here's the story.

First I'll draw my conclusion: your logic board is broken and needs to be replaced.

Part I -- After 3 cycles, the battery wouldn't charge as in: if I'd pop in the MagSafe connector, the light stayed green (flickering mostly of the time). Also, I could definitely hear some weird soft high frequency noise coming out of the MagSafe connector. I returned it to the shop, got a new battery and the problem wasn't fixed.

I think you are in Part I, now what actually happened?

Part II -- Problem wasn't fixed, returned it again and was really pissed since I build pc's and maintain/fix macs myself and they came up with some **** story. However, they ordererd something called a 'Battery Assembly Kit'. It appears to be you have certain maintainable parts especially for charging the battery. They told me that it included new intern wiring and some other stuff. I got my friends MB Pro back and problem wasn't solved.

And now the solution:

Part III -- Almost killed the tech guy, but apart from that: they replaced the ENTIRE LOGIC BOARD. My Logic Board appeared to be broken. Since then, the problem is solved.

9. fpar macrumors regular

I have had the same issue and apple swapped the battery out immediately. On another note, what's that western digital icon in your menu bar - in the screenshot.
    thanks