17" 2.93 8GB MBP w/ SDD or HDD & could I switch to SDD later if started w/ HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raw Vigor, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Raw Vigor macrumors newbie

I plan on using it for music playback while maybe simultaneously recording & also editing film in high definition. The small storage is okay & the quiet SDD sounds better for recording in close quarters but it looks like the technology will improve soon to surpass the current 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm option in performance or has it already? I found an article http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3287 saying SDD reads faster but the writing is slower. If I was using the SDD in laptop for OSX then external HDD to save on, would that be the faster than HDD in laptop for OSX then external HDD to save on?

Thanks...

~Brian

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im going to wait for TRIMM. i would recommend that you do the same thing. to me its just not worth it right now. i plan on buying one in the fall.

3. Raw Vigor thread starter macrumors newbie

What's TRIMM? The thing is that if I get one I'd be tomarrow (or the day after) so I can't wait. Could I get SDD w/ TRIMM when it comes out & install it in the current MBP like the thread title?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you read that 31pg review that andatech wrote. if you missed it (and it was easy too that was an intense article) TRIMM is on the control chip that deletes already deleted files so that it doesnt have to delete them when it needs the room. this is the problem that is slowing down the current SSD's

5. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

your lappy is going to be a monster once you throw that ssd in it. whewwww it might fly off your desk lol

6. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Personally I'd go for the Solid state before the extra RAM.
    Solid state will enhance performance all over, whilst RAM will¨do some here, some there, but not always be noticable. It will depend further of course of
    what use (Photo Shop is clearly a RAM choice).

Cheers,
    P

7. poppap macrumors member

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

one M yea. anyway i dont mind waiting. i've gotten along just find with out the ssd i cant wait a bit longer.

9. xoggyux macrumors 6502

You going to spend a considerable amount of money in that laptop (probably more than 4,000 or very close at best) not including an SSD would be like buying a Ferrari and using stock regular tires.
    All that power will be limited by the rather slow HDD, if you do not wish to spend a lot in SSD thats fine but you should at least buy a small and cheap one and in any case upgrade later. Anyway really decent SSD of considerable size will not be available for at least 1 year (e.g. intels with 150GB++ for less than 300) and by the time this happens yout laptop will not be a "monster" anymore (probably by that time we will have 3Ghz++ processor if not quad cores....) anyway, and you will feel bad of not have done that move earlier.
    Anyway my advice is prioritize SSD over both micro and ram, if you got SSD covered then move to upgrade micro or ram but not the way around.