17" C2D MBP constantly at 100ºC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJMastaWes, May 21, 2010.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hey everyone,

so for the last few days, my 17" macbook pro has been fluctuating between 90ºC-102ºC, despite the fact that the fans are running at 6000rpm, being elevated by about an inch off of my desk and only browsing facebook and listening to music - no heavy CPU usage or hogging. My macbook pro has always been hot, but this is way out of the ordinary. I didn't install or change anything (that I know of), and I can't seem to find anything that'll bring the temperature down.

I've attached a screenshot of my CPU and temperature, in case they're of any value.

Oh, I should also mention that, in the last 48 hours, the computer has shut down unexpectedly twice - something that's never happened before. I've gotten kernal panics before when the computer has gotten hot, but never a straight up shutdown.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've uploaded the temperatures in fahrenheit as well.

Attached Files:

2. RPJones macrumors newbie

Keep an eye on your battery. My 2.16 Core Duo started running at those sort of temps too. It would suddenly shut down without warning when running on battery only.

It was shut down for a couple of days, and when I went to use it I discovered the battery was swollen and warped.

This is a 4 year old box a year out of Apple Care, but I took the battery to an Apple Store and they replaced it no problem. The machine seems fine now.

If the sudden shut down happens on battery only, your battery may be heading for the same fate.

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Wow! Look at those temps! Shut that thing down and get it to an Apple store or send it in for service. If these temps are real, you can degrade these components quickly and reduce the life of this system significantly. Heat kills electronics.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It shut down because the RAM has gotten too hot. The controller itself is at 70 deg C which is up to the threshold of ram. The higher the temperature for ram, the less stable it is.

It says you're using over 1.2 average load, that's pretty high if you're not doing anything.

The least I can recommend if blowing out some of the dust within the fans/heatsink assembly. If you've never done it before and used it for a long time dust build up is quite possible.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Get it exchanged. On my 17" i7 the highest temperatures I've seen is 94 degrees Celsius. And that's with maxing out all CPUs and threads at 100% for 3 hours continuously (terminal command) stressed tested it myself. When the CPUs reached 94 degrees, the fans usually crank up to 5500-6000 rpm and the CPU lowers to 86-90 with 100% CPU maxed out.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

that's insane lol. highest mine has gone was 70-80. 90+ is too high IMO...just gets uncomfortable...lol. Also...do you tilt the screen @ 90 degrees angle? i think it allows the air to flush out more smoothly.

7. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Blame it on the i7, got your computer's temperature on the risen.

-Akon Remix

8. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

wow, I didn't think I get answers when I saw this get lost into the second and third page.

For the battery, I actually just got it replaced a week ago for the swelling problem - I made a thread about it, pics included.

I haven't taken it apart to clean dust, though this sounds like a good idea, as it's never been done before, and I can imagine it's quite filthy.

The computer's been a little better in terms of heat, but it'll still randomly hit those high point, while again, doing nothing strenuous.

I'm guessing that, because it's out of warranty, there's nothing Apple will be able to do free of charge?

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Most likely not. Just buy some compressed air, they're fairly cheap and just blow into the vents to break up the dust build up. It's a cheap way of cleaning out the dust a bit.

10. NStocks macrumors 65816

you'r lucky is Apple will repair it at all. In my case, my temps range from 90 - 106 with Photoshop and ArchiCAD. Acording to a AASP (Group 8, UK ) these temps are 'perfectly normal' and the computer isn't overheating :eek: .

I've had my Mac for less than a year, and it's now being sent in for secondary observation AKA Apple don't believe me and Group 8 think 106C is OK :mad: