17 inch Unibody Pro owners -- which display make and color profile?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jul 24, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

My wife had her 17 inch Macbook Pro repaired and according to the repair list they replaced the display (although that wasn't the reason she brought it in). She feels that the new display is less clear (looks "washed out") and bright.

I checked the command from the Macbook Air forums:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

And am finding that the new display is an LG (above command returns something starting in LP). I'm hoping some new calibration profile will make this display as good as her previous one.

Could folks with a 17" Unibody Pro copy and paste the above command into a Terminal window on post the make of their displays here?

Additionally, if you do have a calibrated profile for the LG display, it would be fantastic if you could provide it!

2. mellowrush macrumors newbie

try hitting

Command option control peroid

in that order
    it's the shortcut to increase screen contrast and that always brings out the colors
    you can hold command option control and press period up to 20 times
    then to decrease contrast just hold command option control and hit the comma button

hope this helps! let me know if it does

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you but no that doesn't help unfortunately.

No 17 inch MBP users in this forum?

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Too bad they replaced the display. Given the qualitative differences, apparently the previous one was a Samsung. There was no reason to replace it anyway, the Genius just said he wanted to make sure she had a new display before her warranty runs out.

7. 7DSniper macrumors regular

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

9. tbn002 macrumors newbie

Late 2011 17" with LTN170CT10.

Each display will have a different tone to it. You can try other people's colour profile but your best bet will be to calibrate your own display using a colorimeter and software. The spider 4 express is pretty good but is about $100.