17" MBP 2.4GHz upgrade LCD from wsxga+ to wuxga hi-res ??!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crankturner, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Crankturner, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Crankturner macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me on this one. I have an older 2007 model macbook pro 2.4ghz with the wsxga+ 1680x1050 resolution matte lcd panel. I am interested in upgrading it to a wuxga 1900x1200 glossy panel. I have done this on several mbp's and other laptops as well, with either broken lcd panels or people upgrading, so i know how to do the actual transplant, its actually quite simple.

I have never done it on a 17" though, and certainly not doing an upgrade to a high resolution panel. I have done a ton of research on it and havent found much. There are a few auctions and plenty of results in google shopping for CCFL A1229 WUXGA etc etc, but i was wondering if you guys had any insight as to the EXACT display i need to get for my mbp!?

here are a few examples of what i've found:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Macbook-PRO-A1229-17-C2D-OEM-LCD-Screen-LP171WU1-TL-B2-/280628814252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156c7e1ac#ht_500wt_922

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200453320959&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

and finally...

http://www.amazon.com/MACBOOK-LAPTOP-SCREEN-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B004JIY6PO

Any ideas?? I just want to make sure i am getting a panel that will absolutely work with my mbp. Thanks in advance !!!

2. Crankturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?! I know this probably should have gone in the "Buying tips and advice", so if it needs to be closed or moved feel free to do so ! Any help on this would be much appreciated !

3. Crankturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, since no one has replied to help me on any forums including this one (obviously), :mad: ..i went ahead and bought this guy ...

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP171WU1%28TL%29%28B2%29/

Cheapest one i could find, and Fedex 2-Day express was only $17 for it, total was $126 with insurance and a return label should i run into any issues, and ill have it on Monday the 7th :)

For anyone who decides to actually reply to my thread, any input or advice would be much appreciated ...??? :confused:

4. diannao macrumors regular

Crankturner, you said: "I have done this on several mbp's and other laptops as well, with either broken lcd panels or people upgrading, so i know how to do the actual transplant, its actually quite simple."

You're probably the forum expert on this upgrade; no need to get mad that no one can help you. I, and I suspect others, would sell our old laptop and get a replacement with the screen we wanted instead of trying to perform this surgery.

Best of luck with the transplant!

5. Crankturner, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Crankturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, it is fairly easy. But i said i hadn't done it with a 17", and not with an upgrade from wsxga+ to wuxga! I didn't know which lcd panel to get !! Blah !

And if i had $2k to drop on a newer MBP i totally would, so i am making do with what i have now. SSD is next, probably an MCE OptiBay, ram is maxed. So when i have extra $ to throw around, sure ill get a newer model with the wuxga screen!?

6. Crankturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked like a charm!! :D my windows 7 partition booted fine at full res 1900x1200, but my snow leopard partition would not boot, it kept hanging at the grey startup screen. Each time i booted it appeared to be in 1024x768 mode, looked awful. Cleared the PRAM, NVRAM, tried a ton of different things ..just could not get mac to boot, only windows. After several hours of research i ended up trying to boot in safe mode (holding down shift key after startup chime) and that did the trick! After restarting to get out of safe mode, everything worked perfectly. Looks stunning :)

7. diannao macrumors regular

Congratulations! Perhaps you should put a how-to guide on the procedure together for others.

8. Crankturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent idea! I'm on it !! Do i post it here? Or is there a specific thread that something like that should be posted in? Either way ill post a link to it on this thread :)

9. diannao macrumors regular

I don't know; I'm new here. Perhaps ask a moderator which would be best.

10. herald macrumors newbie

ever get thread on how to boot up w new hi-res lcd

in same situation....have 2.4gz 17in macbook pro from 2007 (santa rosa). thanks for link to order screen but i dont have partition windows and wondering if just booting from safe mode is all that is required to get hi-res screen to work . Do i need to clear anything?