17" MBP, 2.66 vs 2.8 what´s the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoak, Sep 10, 2009.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I´m very frustrated.
    I´m getting a good price for my "classic" MBP and thought to upgrade before it gets too old and "outdated" looking. Basically selling it for what I paid for it.
    I wanted to replace it with a new 15 as I think a 17 is just too big for mobility (as I have stated numerous times on these boards)
    Surprise, surprise Apple style, they decided to remove the express card slot on the 15!!
    Another great move from Apple. I can´t have a laptop without it as I use it to offload the footage from my HD camera when on location.

So I was looking into previous model of the 15" here in Norway (we don´t get refurbs) and because they were so expensive when they came out, they sell for $50 MORE than the new ones. Not a great deal IMHO

I can however get a good deal on the 2.66 17" (previous) uMBP.
    From what I can tell the only difference from the new one is the 2.8ghz processor and the 500GB HD.

Is there any other benefits to get the new one except the reason listed?
    What do people think that went from 15" to 17" think of them in terms of portabillity?
    I´m worried about going up one size

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love my 17" and don't find it not portable, but, if you are already concerned then you probably are going to be more concerned. The difference between the processor is minimal, although if you are doing rendering work it will actually show some difference, but... it's not a whole lot.

3. tbob32 macrumors newbie

tbob32

That's the only difference. The .14 G bump in speed and the larger hard drive. I also debated that decision and went ahead and bought the early 2009 17" uMBP (2.66Ghz, 320Gb, 4Gb) and saved several hundred dollars at MacMall. Been using for the last two weeks and love it.

4. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for the input.
    I don´t do much heavy rendering on my laptop. I use our MP that we have in the editing suite (actually more like a shack) for that.
    Is the HD user upgradeable on the 17"?

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yes it is

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17" MBP works fine for me. I move mine almost every day.

Considering most PC 15" laptops are the same size and same weight as MBP 17", so it's not "too big".

I just ordered a 750gb 2.5" 5400rpm drive (thicker HD, won't work on some 15") for my MBP.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Argh, a double negative, I found it confusing!

8. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

The most appealing aspect is the full HD screen. I can finally view my footage nativly on my laptop. I'm just concerned about the added weight when traveling with all my gear. Camera, tripod etc.
    Good to know there is bbl difference between the 2 other than the speed bump and space

9. tbob32 macrumors newbie

tbob32

The first thing I did was swap out the 320G for a WD 500G Scorpio Blue. It even shows you how to swap out the drive in the MacBook Users Guide that came with the machine.