17" MBP bag and sleeve: sweatshop made and leather need not apply

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eastercat, Apr 7, 2008.

1. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm looking to purchase a bag and sleeve for a 17" Mac Book Pro. Unlike most other posts about this, I have slightly different wants.

Wants:
    -No animal skins
    -Not made by slave labor. Prefer if it was made in the USA by a union, but willing to settle for manufacture in a country that has decent labor laws (e.g., Germany, England, etc.). Fair trade bags would work in lieu of the above.

Would like:
    -briefcase style (no wheels)
    -sleeve without a zipper (to avoid scratching)
    -fits under an airplane seat
    -space to hold a binder or some folders

The reason I need help is that it's easy to tell if a bag is made from animal skin; but, most web sites don't list the country of manufacture.
    For example, I can't find any information on Booq's web site on country of manufacture.
    So for people who have ordered bags and can look at the manufacturer's label, I would greatly appreciate additions to my consideration list.

Thank you,
    Esther

Bags and sleeves under consideration:

Red Oxx Metro Briefcase
    http://www.redoxx.com/product_categories/4/products/19-metro-briefcase

Tom Bihn Empire Builder
    http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0730

Waterfield Cozmo Bag-medium
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/cozmo/cozmo.htm
    (they can make a vegan version in 1-2 weeks)

Tom Bihn Horizontal Soft Cell Size 1 16.5 × 11.4 × 1.8 inches (420 × 290 × 45 mm)
    http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0374

Waterfield Laptop Sleeve Size 17-2
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

2. Skystar macrumors 6502

I used a simple sleeve from Radtech for my Macbook and now my Macbook Pro 15":

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

No zippers, and I love the tight, form-fitting design. Does not offer any shock protection, but good scratch protection. On the product page it does say "Product of the USA"

3. renault4 macrumors regular

I have used Waterfield's sleeves and Cargo (not Cozmo) bags: I think they satisfy many if not all of your criteria; I am not sure a 17in would fit in a medium Cozmo? They will tell you pretty quickly.

Waterfield products are top notch quality and the company is a delight to deal with!

4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I don't think you could find a sleeve made from animal skin if you tried.. hell, i've never even seen a leather case but if your after all that ethical, vegan stuff then foofbags ship all over the world, look great (save that garish pink monstrosity) and i gather are handmade and whatnot. ;)
    see: http://foofshop.com/

5. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

I'll be receiving this on Wednesday....for a new 17" MBP

https://www.acmemade.com/theclyde.html

Is made in the USA using ballistic material. The better quality sleeves have material between the zipper and sleeve; so I wouldn't rule them out....I think Isis sleeves are one option. Also, it seems the sleeves with memory foam (versus neoprene) are recommended for their ability to provide some of the best protection.

If you haven't already, you might want to perform a forum search for bags and/or sleeves...that's where I was able to gather lots of links...good luck

6. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

wait, isn't MBP parts made in china? Why such a fuss? But I just got my DC Skatebag, ugly as heck but I like the orange inside and it seemed to have ample room. Can't wait to try it out when I get home.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bihn is quality, I like my booq bag better, but I understand your reasons for being made in the U.S.A.

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

What do you have against poor people? They would like to make a case for you too.

9. sdsviet macrumors regular

my booq bag sleeve says designed in california but in the back it says made in china. haha oh well.

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

your laptop is 'sweatshop' made, no matter what Apple says, and you're looking for a 'non sweatshop' bag, ironic, huh?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your laptop was made by underpaid asian workers who simply know how to put part A along with part B.

You make me think of people that supersize a McDonald's trio, yet drink a Diet Coke.

12. danvan21 macrumors regular

i think that the incase is def the best way to go. www.goincase.com i am not sure if its made in the United States but your laptop was MADE IN CHINA.

13. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Just because it is made in China does not mean that it is made in a sweatshop. That is a very poor stereotype. Am I also to make the assumption that just because someone likes fried chicken they are african american?
    There are some very well run, clean, and hard working factory/factory workers in China who are simply trying to better themselves and the lives they had living a subsistence living in the rural areas in China. And yes, I have seen this all first hand.

14. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Tom Binh's your man. I've visited his store many times. You walk right past the sewing room to get to the retail room. I can personally attest to not seeing any children, locked doors, or guards with whips. They actually looked happy. :) good quality bags from a good quality company.

15. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If Apple products were made here I would've had to trade in my car for my mbp.

16. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Wrong... the MacBook Pro was designed in the United States but assembled, so built, in China.

17. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

As an owner of the waterfield bags, I can without a doubt say they are the best bags (non leather) available. The quality is outstanding, the best detail I have seen, and the customer service is better than that of the dealership where I have leased 4 German cars....
    On top of that, it is made in the USA, by Americans. Do you pay a premium? Yes, but I would beg you to find a cheaper bag of the same quality, slave labor or not.
    Their products have thought and care put into them, you can't go wrong.

Get a mombo combo, everything in it was very useful. It came with a great sleeve for my laptop, (with a flap) and the extra latch on case to the sleeve is handy too if I only have my laptop to cary around.

As much as you don't like leather, the leather skin cover (we own one in Gold and one in Beige) look terrific and give it a slightly more professional look.

Whatever your taste, you can't go wrong with waterfield.

18. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Used rubber

usedrubberusa.com

No sleeves, but have a variety of bags. Stylish, expensive, made in US from recycled rubber (inner tubes from truck tires, mostly). They're small and not union.

19. eastercat thread starter macrumors 68040

eastercat

Update and thanks

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Although some of them won’t work (due to logistical or aesthetic reasons), I still appreciate them nonetheless.

For those who have wondered, no one in the archives seems to care where their bag was manufactured. In addition, most of the web sites don’t think it’s all that important either (e.g., Apple.com).

So thank you for all your help.

If anyone has any more suggestions or knows about the bags I’ve mentioned (e.g., how easy it is to carry, how big it is on a 5’4” woman), I’d appreciate your posts.

Thanks so very much,
    Esther

**The rest of this post goes off topic, so please scroll past if you don’t want to read.

I don’t have anything against poor people making my goods. That’s why I have no problems buying fair trade. I just want to make sure that the person making my bag, shoes, clothing, or anything else works for a living wage in humane conditions.

As someone who’s buying their first Mac, I would love to have the choice between a Mac made in China and one made in America by a union shop. If that option was there, I’d happily pay extra for the union-made computer. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. And because I want a Mac, I can’t go to a local shop to have them build me a notebook (and that doesn’t get into the issue of sweatshop parts).
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060612-7039.html (talks about conditions in the iPod factory)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=209004 (discussion about the iPod factory)

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

So you will take underpaid labour as long as it doesn't cramp your lifestyle? You really do deserve a Mac :p

Fear not, there is a manufacturer offering a product to meet the selective of commitment and needy of style. Zaum Lab bags are handbuilt and made of vinyl. Of course a bleeding heart would know that the environmental cost of manufacturing PVC is an issue, and the environmental cost of disposing PVC is also high. The Portabile Grande fits into your requirements.
    www.zaumlab.com
    https://id305.securedata.net/zaumlab.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=6_46
    As the online shop indicates, be prepared for a lead time.

As far as I know, Barry's Farm stuff isn't made in China. I believe the guy half is a member of this very board.
    www.barrysfarm.net

For the messenger look, Chrome offers made-in-USA bags.
    http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/computer/

Anything else I can recommend off the top of my head involves leather, China or is very butch.

One which I am not sure whether they involve China or leather:
    Melissa Beth Designs - http://www.melissabethdesigns.com/. I would suggest emailing them for details.

21. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

22. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Actually this is hilarious. You have these moral standings but you rillly rillly rillly want a Mac, so screw 'em. But hey, whatever you need to tell yourself I guess. Hard to take the moral high ground when you simply HAVE to have something, right?

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Swissgear: the various flavors that say either 17" or 15" will do. Every Swiss bag that I bought was for a 15" book, but since they were sized for both Mac and PC my 17" MBP fits in them just fine, even with the Incase sleeve. For me, Swiss offers the best of price, strength, and style.

Incase: for the sleeve, the best I can find by far that won't break your bank account, and does it's job well.

**OR**

If you can afford it

Booqbag: The price is high, as is the quality. You won't go wrong, and I may even find myself grabbing one because the biggest issue I have with my current Swiss gear is the lack of pockets for portable HDDs. Swiss has plenty of space and compartments, but pockets are lacking, and Booqbags have plenty of both.

They also sell some great sleeves.

p.s. Never owned s Booqbag but worked with a colleague that did. He had a 17" MBP with the Python.

p.p.s. Don't worry about sweatshops, everything you own and touch will be made in a sweatshop, you most likely won't be able to avoid it. I don't like the idea either, but I don't like the pollution that is thrown up from cars, but I can't stop driving, or afford a hybrid. And yes, your Mac was made in a different country, most likely not a sweatshop (the real sweatshops) as is most of the components and even the boxing material.

24. BoostFab macrumors newbie

not just that the MBP laptop itself was assembled in China. so don't buy a MBP now ?!?

true. it's in a temp. controlled environment, otherwise, your lappy will come w/ sticky asian sweats lol.