17" MBP Great choice and 9600 question…

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artful Dodger, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well I took the plunge today and got the 17" MBP, Apple Keyboard, MStand, iWork family pack and CS4 Web Premium and last, the 16GB iPod :D Most of the other times I bought an Apple I could have waited but this time it was overdue to update.

The only thing I don't fully understand so please chime in, once you change the Graphics to Higher performance in the Energy Saver window, click restart, does the 9600 take over from then on? Never had to due this before so I just want to make sure it accepts and stays with the 9600. Thanks for the helpful input on this!!!

I have to say that I went in wanting the matte screen but left with the glossy and I'm totally happy with the decision. Plenty of screen to due most of my work and still able to travel with it when I need to. All that's left to due is a custom install tonight or Saturday morning. I have to say that even though I have had Macs for 10 years this was the coolest experience thus far. The guy that helped get everything took some extra time and went over a few things that I didn't know about with CS4 and some other stuff in Leopard since I was still using Tiger up to today.

Any one that wonders if the 17" MBP is worth the extra money and slightly bigger size, it's absolutely worth it. So after I do my custom install, add CS4 and Aperture 2, I just might not get much else done for about a week but that's ok by me ;)

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yes, once you set it to higher performance the 9600 kicks in and will stay activated until you choose better battery life and vice versa.

3. AppleUser2 macrumors member

Great set up! Yes, when you select the graphics card it sticks. I don't think you need a restart - it just tells you that you need to log out and does this for you if you accept in a few seconds and then logs you back in.

4. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks! And your right ^^^ it just logs you out and back in which isn't as bad as some made it out to be earlier in the year.