17" MBP on lap for long periods of time... How comfortable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, May 29, 2010.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello,

I'm torn between the 15 MBP and the 17, and am wondering if anybody uses the 17" on their lap for LONG periods of time (many hours).

How do you find the 17's for weight, heat and maneuverability (sp?)? Comfortable? Bearable? Regrettable ... should have got the 15".

If you find the 17" very comfortable on the lap, but you're the size of an NFL linebacker, please indicate!

BTW, does the i7 run hotter or cooler than the i5?

Thank you.

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

every 'notebook' gets hot these days,
    you will find it is not made to sit on your legs
    its made to sit on a desk
    and it will get quite hot especially after using for a while

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I own a 17-inch i5~ I'll use it on my lap (Sometimes)... Not havey or hot at all~ (like youtube "Flash", Aperture that kind of heavy stuff)

The screen is awesome... and it is the lightest 17-inch ever :D

PS: My previous one is 13-inch

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I use my '09 2.8ghz 15" MBP on my lap for hours on end without heat problems, (in integrated mode), why would a 17" not be able to do the same.

New i7/i5's run hotter than the '09 C2D's? Or maybe because I can stay in integrated mode it runs cooler?

5. Johnnyredwine macrumors newbie

I have a late '09 17" and for the most part it's fine. It largely depends what you're doing - there are times when my legs will get very warm and i'll have to take it off to cool down.

6. mingoglia macrumors 6502

With regards to using on my lap I can't tell the difference between my prior 15" and 17" with regards to comfort. Feels exactly the same to me. I spend a lot of time with it on my lap, though about 50% of the time (the time when I'm at home) I'm using one of those laptop pads that my wife got me for Christmas.