17" MBP Penryn Speakers - I think they're decent and I'll tell you why

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ranchdip, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ranchdip macrumors member

OK, I bashed them at first too but I began to appreciate them. I've owned a professional recording studio for years and I'm about as critical as they come when it comes to audio. That being said, here's my take on the speakers. I would also love to hear other studio engineer/owners opinion as well.
    I find that the speakers in my 17" MBP to sound fairly nice. At first listen you want to slam them for lack of bass and its ability to produce loud volumes, but I find that the separation, clarity, and openness to be pretty decent. I found them to sound better than most if not all of the laptops I've heard in the past if based on true reproduction of an audio signal. They remind me of a really good Nakamichi/JBL stereo in a Lexus(I know, I know). You hardly get any of that fat muddy bottom end that most people want but you get great clarity, openness, mids and highs. I bashed the iPod HP's too but after listening to others found that though other manufacturers HP's produced more lows and highs, it didn't capture what I was looking for.
    Maybe Apple wanted to reproduce the best of what it could in that frequency range and size of speaker instead of sacrificing quality for extra bass and treble. From my point of view if that's the case, I'm glad they did it the way they did. YMMV :D

2. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

I agree, I've had mine a few days now, and I don't understand why people would complain about them? The last two laptops I've had had really trebley tinney sounding speakers you got no bass from at all, and the speakers on this MBP blow them out of the water! I'm very impressed, and I don't even use them much! I also make/produce music so I'm usually fairly critical, but I have to say, for a laptop, the MBP has good sound.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I also agree. I love the speakers on my 17" mbp. I think its more than loud enough, infact most of the time I have it on 4-5 notches or half of the volume up.

Of course bass isnt needed but the clarity sounds so open and clean when watching a video or listening to music.

I remember when I brought my mbp to my friend's apt and when I played a song he was shocked at how clean it sounded and loud that came from my mbp.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Sorry to go a little off topic, but are the speakers on the 15" of similar caliber?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think so. They're lacking power, but what they do play sounds very clear*.

*I'm no audio guru.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Same here. I thought that of the 15" speakers as well, and listening to them in the store doesn't do them justice. They aren't the greatest sounding by far, and some PCs with real subs in them have terrible lows, but they are the clearest things I have ever heard.

Not off that much, but from what I have owned I have to say yes, but not as loud and clear. Apple is the king of under-clocking and stopping down specs on the 15" and 17" books. So they may have done the same with the speakers, I can't be too sure. But my 15" book's speakers weren't as clear and full as the 17" MBP's.

But I am no audiophile, so take my opinion with a lot of salt.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

the 15" speakers are good as well just not as loud. But the reason for me to upgrade to the 17" mbp is that all the 15" penryn mbp had this left speaker sizzling/hissing noise.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 17" has 4 speakers and 2 very regular (I want to say crappy) woofers.

The 15" only has 2 speakers.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Everyone, I hope, says crappy. They are no where near as good as the larger gaming PCs but I have heard what they sound like, and they are quite muffled.