Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Mar 15, 2012.
Will the 2.5 ghz 17" MBP will run louder than the 2.4 due to extra heat and fan noise?
Which processor you have installed has no effect on heat or fan noise. What workload you put on your system will. You will likely see zero difference between the two processors.
I have the top spec. 17" No difference rom my old one..The fans only really kick in with workload...Sitting here surfing, the are just ticking over..
Thanks for the quick reply. We're replacing another 15" MBP and I have the chance today to get the upgraded processor for $100. Get 512ssd and 8gb ram ... may as well upgrade the processor too.
How are you liking your 17" Macman? You use it with an 11" too right? Which do you use more?
Don't get increased RAM from Apple, as they overcharge. Buy the extra RAM and install it yourself and you'll save.
This is certainly correct.
Would you say that there is absolutely no difference in heat/power consumption, aside from manufacturing fluctuations?
I was about to say this, but then I wasn't sure, since all of these CPUs are identical, except for their ability to run stable at higher clock speeds. Wouldn't the same CPU run at a higher clock speed use slightly more power?
I know that once one takes the complicated thermal management into account, there will be no difference in practice. I was more wondering about a theoretical scenario where enough cooling is provided to run each CPU at their design clock speed under load - would the higher clocked CPU draw (2.5/2.4-1)% more power?
It would be completely driven by workload, of course, but I seriously doubt there would be any measurable difference in power requirements between the two processors. Certainly not enough that the user would notice.
I use it with a 13" MBA and a 27" iMac....I love my MBP don't get me wrong, but it's SO heavy...It travels to and from the studio with me, the MBA just doesnt have the SSD capacity I need.
If Apple make a 17" Pro with a reliable 500GB+ SSD? This one will be retired...It's a great screen and a great MAc, but ditch the optical and a large SSD? I'm there
But the SSD at $1100 is ok? At this point the machine has a list price close to $4k, and I would stop worrying about $200 and save myself the hassle to shop for RAM, wait for the shipment, and having to install it myself.
Of course a third party SSD can have infinitely more complications than third party RAM, there's the potential to save about $600 and actually get a much faster brand name SSD (Samsung 830, Crucial M4).
You're quite right: it's not OK. I didn't even look at SSD pricing, but of course the same holds true as for RAM: you'll get much better pricing by buying 3rd party (it's all 3rd party, since Apple doesn't make SSDs/HDDs or RAM).
Apples RAM prices are really absurd...if it was a case of a few bucks...fine, it isn't it's insane....I used Crucial and saved a fortune...It has no effect on your warranty either...Apple even show you how to do it.
I think it's more of a hassle to "Pull" a stock 4GB or 8GB out of the line and put the sticks in.
My iMac was custom spec.But I took the RAM up to 16GB myself...An easy job requiring a small screw driver (Star Point) and in the modules go. On principal I just won't buy RAM from Apple...Newegg are good too I hear.
No, we don't get the ram or ssd from Apple. Their prices are insultingly high.