17" MBPU: What should be my 1. order of business

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    New 17" MBPU in da (= the) house

After the unboxing, do you plug in the power cord, or do you hit start and run on batteries straight away?

Do you choose the 9400 or the 9600 graphics card?

Do you transfer files with bluetooth or through firewire 800?

Do you rest the machine after a while or go non stop til break of dawn?

cheers, P

2. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Can someone pls reply about the power cord on startup or not?

3. technotica macrumors member

Lots of people (and Apple though I don't know if this includes the new 17" macbooks) say that you should calibrate your battery first, but that should be mentioned in your manual.

That is done by working on your Macbook until the battery is totally depleted and then waiting five hours before reload it.

If you want to do that you should search for 'calibrating battery' in the forum or in google.

Also, slang in forum post looks silly. :p

4. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Didn't know we were so pretentious in macrumors over a very mild case of slang :p

Anyways, I remember from posts around the place that the new 17" MBP doesn't come with instructions to calibrate your battery, which perplexed a few of us. But I would say that general good practice, even if it isn't in the manual that comes in the box, would be to calibrate your battery ;)

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

6. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Thanks for the answer!
    Slang looks silly, and my attempt at irony (the questionable art of using others slang) looked perhaps even sillyer. But remember that looking silly, being silly or displaying general sillyness is nothing more than a true measure of ones humanity. I say silly and intellectual, naiv and pretencious at the same time - The difference is not as big as you think.

regards,
    P

7. technotica macrumors member

All true! It still looks silly to me though, thats not to say that I think it should be forbidden to post in slang or anything like that!

Also:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2339.html

This is a link from Apple about calibrating the battery, its from OS X 10.4 though (not that the version of the OS X has anything to do with the calibration).

8. SmokinJoe macrumors newbie

Pagga. Who is being silly? If you cannot even spell a word correctly, don't go on and on about it. You only make yourself look even sillier.

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

And hiphop slang to boot. Maybe he's a racist.:D

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

#1. Read the manual

#2. Check the Apple website for additional tips or specific info.

Most of your questions will be answered if you do #1 and #2. If not, then go to #3 below.

#3. Search/post on Macrumors and search Google.

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I realize you are trying to be funny, but it's not working because you don't know the definition of "racist" and racism jokes are usually not funny unless Richard Pryor said them.

Wikipedia

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I can't believe people are getting bent out of shape over very mild slang. Isn't there a matte/glossy thread you guys could weigh in on instead.

OP. The only thing I would suggest is a fresh install of the OS and then start enjoying it. None of things mentioned have to be done right away.

Cheers

13. mlorenzo macrumors newbie

I will like to buy the new 17 MBP, but its better IDEA to wait because any in the forum complains about the monitor Mirror. Does any have the mate finish? Is the same fish of the old version of MBP?

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

When I got it, I selected the 9600GT video card and used it. I didn't care about charging the battery up or not.

Furthermore, this is a computer, not a baby. I'm not going to baby it, sure its one hell of an expensive system but I'm not going to be paranoid about how I use it.

In short terms:

Just use it.

15. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

After the unboxing, do you plug in the power cord, or do you hit start and run on batteries straight away?

Plug it in. Calibrate it.

Do you choose the 9400 or the 9600 graphics card?
    Whatever you want. 9600 has better performance obviously but lower battery life. The 9400 is a VERY capable graphics card and huge savings on battery.

Do you transfer files with bluetooth or through firewire 800?
    FireWire 800 all the way. Bluetooth will be very slow.

Do you rest the machine after a while or go non stop til break of dawn?
    Sometimes, I never turn mine off. It's built to run 24/7 365. It's good to power it off every once in a while though. (Power off = sleep)

The only time I ever turn my computer OFF is for a restart required by updates.

16. Hack On Wheels macrumors newbie

How much of a difference does the fresh OS install make? Any specific point to doing that?

17. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Thanks, LilStewart, for your valiable insights and good answers!

P

18. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I wouldn't think you would need to as macs aren't filled with bloatware like windows machines......but this is my first mac and I don't technically have it yet so I'm not speaking from true experience.