Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenFW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Just checking the Powerbook tracker at PowerBookCentral, and it seems that yet again, the 17" are being pushed back, with Ingram expecting them on 3/31/03. Now I guess things will be pushed back, again, by the authorized resellers as well. Does anyone know what is going on here-screen shortage, or rather typical Apple supply/demand problems that have existed for over a decade...the wait is excrutiating...any thoughts on what might be going on, even if it just business as usual...do people think they're worth waiting for?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Re: 17" Powerbook-looks like even longer wait!!

Originally posted by StevenFW
Just checking the Powerbook tracker at PowerBookCentral, and it seems that yet again, the 17" are being pushed back, with Ingram expecting them on 3/31/03. Now I guess things will be pushed back, again, by the authorized resellers as well. Does anyone know what is going on here-screen shortage, or rather typical Apple supply/demand problems that have existed for over a decade...the wait is excrutiating...any thoughts on what might be going on, even if it just business as usual...do people think they're worth waiting for?

Well, considering it's a brand new model, I expected the long wait. But, people should be happy they are having to wait. If Apple ran into some kind of production problem (i.e. They found out that when you turn the machines on they explode), they are working to re-engineer the machines. Most likely, they ran into some hardware problem and are working to solve it. I'd rather have Apple shipping quality built computers, than shipping machines that contain all sorts of problems. I definitely think they are worth waiting for. Just be patient.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
FWIW, my ship date hasn't changed. But we'll see on monday I guess.

I agree though, I'd prefer to see a problem-free computer arrive considering the dough I spent.

We shall see.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
um i went to the apple store in short hills nj and they said that they will have some models to demo on march 1st. they also said that they will have some to sell. so it may have been better to wait rather than order it online.

luke_s

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2003
" Well, considering it's a brand new model, I expected the long wait. But, people should be happy they are having to wait. If Apple ran into some kind of production problem (i.e. They found out that when you turn the machines on they explode), they are working to re-engineer the machines. Most likely, they ran into some hardware problem and are working to solve it. I'd rather have Apple shipping quality built computers, than shipping machines that contain all sorts of problems. I definitely think they are worth waiting for. Just be patient."

what kind of company is apple? is it the god of all companies? they announce something then its not available for months and you think its worth waiting. of course the 17" pb is worth waiting, but i think its not really professional to set a shipping date in the apple store and then nobody gets anything accept you buy at the apple store and then its not for sure. if they really want to get new customers i think they found the perfect way to piss them off............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.