17" Problems —*anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DHagan4755, Mar 13, 2009.

1. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I have two peculiar problems with my new unibody 17" MacBook Pro...

1.) My optical drive vibrates and is loud with certain media to the point where I am using the machine at the same time my hands feel like I just used a lawn mower. And it is 2 for 4 burning discs of different types (DVDs / CDs). It comes back with burning errors.

2.) From time to time, my hard drive makes a high pitch sound for about 20-30 seconds and fades. The drive comes back as OK in tests and works OK...but it is concerning.

Anyone else had these problems with theirs?

P.S. I am noticing my screen flickering at low brightness too. This is something that just seems to have started.

2. Gloor macrumors 6502a

1) thats normal and I've seen it in many laptops.

2) not sure about that - it depends on the sound and i know sound is hard to describe :)

3. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

1.) I've used many many many Apple laptops and this is the first time I have seen something quote so vibrational and loud.

2.) The sound is sort of like the initial tone you here when connecting on dial-up, possibly higher in pitch, and happens on occasions...enough to make you "hmmmm"

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

No both of mines dont vibrate... and the hardrive is pretty silent.. except when I run windowsss

5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

1) thats normal even my imac gets into a hard spin every now and then especially with late 80/ early 90's CD's lol

2) not normal
    and get the screen checked out