17" uMBP with OCZ ssd AND 500gb HDD via optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 13, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Okay, so I'm ordering a 17" uMBP soon with the stock 500 gb 5200 rpm drive(I was originally thinking about the 7200 but supposedly everyone says it's better to go with the 5200 so you can replace/exchange/return it easily if needed(since it's not BTO).

I do not intend on booting off this drive; instead I wanted to get like a 60GB ocz SSD just to install my OS and my frequently used programs on(office, firefox, etc.). I plan on keeping the 500gb hard drive too via optibay(the thing that lets you swap out your superdrive for another hard drive).

Anyway, my question is, if I keep a 60GB ssd installed in the uMBP to boot off of, and the stock 500gb hdd in the optibay, will my uMBP constantly try and access the 500gb optibay, sapping power and creating unnecessary heat, or will it simply only access the HDD when it needs to? (I plan on storing just movies, music, etc. on the HDD). I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't constantly keep the drive spinning when it wasn't in use.

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

the only time it will do that is if you are accessing the files on there or writing to that hdd. otherwise, the drive will just remain idle. i am thinking about doing the same thing as you actually since i only want to use my ssd at the boot drive/app loader, not data storage.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I've read reviews of the Optibay and they report that battery life is the same.....