17" Unibody MBP owners, did you reinstall OSX from disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikos, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Just wondering if you guys installed OSX from the disk the MBP comes with. I'm reading that this is recommended because apparently Apple installed the wrong version OS onto the 17" MBP. Is this true?

I already got rid of the printer drivers and languages I don't need manually. I'd rather not do a clean install as I already have most of my Apps and information on the laptop, but if there's a legitimate reason to do so, then I will.

Any input on this?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Where are you reading this and what version OS was supposedly installed?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Here's one post from the brightness thread. I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of other posts pertaining to this as well. Not necessarily the wrong OS, but some people are saying it has issues. I haven't really experienced any yet, but if I'm going to do a reinstall I might as well do it now.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple didn't install the wrong version, but by reinstalling the OS you do get a brighter screen, if you need it. The reinstall resets the SMC etc.

I cant guarantee it will work, but Geniuses inside Apple stores have said this is the case, and people have reported this on this forum. Plus it worked for me.

5. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Isn't there another way to reset SMC? I'm pretty sure there was a way on the older MacBooks. I honestly can't imagine my screen getting any brighter, maybe not all of them are plagued with the dimness issue?

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

reinstalling the OS results in a brighter screen? Can't you just reset the SMC the same way you do on a MacBook Air having the same end result?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The build that came on mine is 9G2141. It's also the build which is on the restore DVD. I did do a restore, but it was only necessary because of some things I was doing when migrating.

Although the machine booted fine off of my other 10.5.6 (build 9G55), the "Color LCD" display profile was waaaay off (like 9000K), and it did not have the correct Energy Pref pane in System Preferences.

The difference in the display profile drove me nuts, until I found out what was going on. This is also why some display models at the Apple Stores look wrong (too blue).

Hope this helps clear up your question.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i've been asking that same question around here, i've even asked a few of my friends who are still work for Apple, but noone seems to have an answer.

9. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

This is what I'm wondering.

I'm pretty sure I have the correct energy preferences pane. Also, when I go to calibrate my screen, the white balance is at native, which looks exactly like D65. 9300 is way more blue. I think I'm in the clear. :eek:

10. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I had to reinstall OSX because I put in a brand new hard-drive (upgraded to Seagate 7200.4 500gb).

Does that mean I should have the brighter screen? I never turned it on before upgrading the hard-drive, so I don't know what the original brightness would be.

I will admit that compared to my old 17" early 2008 model, this screen is not as bright.. but I am assuming I already did the required OSX re-install since I HAD to for the new hard-drive installation to be complete..

11. PLin macrumors 6502

I re-installed but only because I immediately upgraded the hard drive. I didn't use the factory install long enough to notice any differences.