17" Unibody outputting 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200 to external monitor over MDP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roxnadz, Jun 26, 2009.

1. roxnadz macrumors regular

Just got a 17" unibody to replace my 15" Classic. It appears that the 17" can't output 1920x1200 over the mini DisplayPort to DVI connection, rather displaying 1920x1080. The 15" Classic has no problem outputting 1920x1200 which is the native resolution of this display (an LG L246WP).

What can I do? I tried downloading SwitchResX and fiddling around with that to no avail. Any ideas would be more than welcomed.

2. nard macrumors newbie

I am using the same monitor as you but using the 15" unibody mbp and experiencing the same problem. I believe it is because the mdp->dvi->hdmi input causes it to think the LG 24" as a TV instead of a monitor. i havnt tried this yet, but i hear some people got it to work with mdp->vga->vga input. in the meantime, I just set my monitor to 1:1 pixel mapping instead of full under screen->ARC->1:1, so it doesnt stretch, and is suffice until apple fixes the problem or i buy a cable.

This problem seems isolated to either the mdp adapter or the mbp itself. I have a hackintosh with a ATI HD4870 and it's able to output to the L246WP using the DVI ports at 1920x1200 no problem, and doesnt detect it as a TV. I was also thinking of trying a mdp->hdmi cable from monoprice, and see if that will work.

if you do get switchresx working let me know. i havnt had time to play around with it, and think it's retarded that I have to pay money for something that should be working properly.

3. nard macrumors newbie

so i bought a monoprice MDP to hdmi, and doesnt work.

i have a feeling that we are only left with mdp->VGA to get it at full resolution but fuzzy abit since it's analog.

-nard

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040