17 year old going into the Apple Store on the 24th with my sister... Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHalo, Jun 16, 2010.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

Can I purchase 3 iPhones with her? Our dad, the account holder, will be at work as will our mom.

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

if ur not on the account i don't believe they will work with you......

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

How old is your sister? Need to be 18 to sign a contract. You also need her to be an authorized user to make any changes to the account. Since she will be one customer, she will be limited to 2 iPhones. Since you're under age, you don't count as a customer.

Also, it has been hit and miss, but some Apple Stores will not allow authorized users to upgrade. The primary account holder needs to be present.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Not only do you have to be on the account, but you have to be approved with AT&T by the account holder to make additions/changes to the account.

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

Few things working against you

1) You're under 18, which means you probably can't be added by your mom or dad as an authorized account user.

2) Apple .. in my exp previously .. won't allow anyone but the primary account holder to buy the phone, even if you can give the full social and proove that yes you have been with the account holder for 8 damned years, and my name is on the damned account too. why the hell won't you idiots let me buy a phone?!. Though calling AT&T results in them telling Apple that yes "he can buy the iPhone from you" and Apple tells AT&T "no, he can't".

3) You're allowed 1 phone per person.. so the max you can get is two.

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Gotta have the account holder present, and you have to be 18.

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I got my iPhone 3G the day after launch day at an Apple store in Miami 2 years ago. I was an authorized user and I was 17.

Probably shouldn't have happened, but it did without any problems.

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Well if your sister is over 18 your dad can add her onto the account to be an authorized user.

That usual works but someone still has to be over 18 AND you must know the social or like the last 4 digits.

9. kmonie360 macrumors member

new customers are allowed 1 person... if your an existing customer with multiple upgrades you can get multiple phones.

10. iHalo thread starter macrumors regular

My sister is 14. What if our mom was there with us?

11. witmvpness6 macrumors member

If your mom is an authorized user, yeah.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah if she is an authorized user. But, I would call your Apple Store first and talk to the manager and ask if they allow authorized users to upgrade. If not, it needs to be your dad.

The policy at Apple went into effect since the 3G. I got lucky and was able to upgrade with no problems, but other Apple Stores have refused to let you upgrade even when you are an authorized user. And again, he'll be limited to 2 iPhones.

13. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

If your mom was there, it'd be definitely possible, and even if she wasn't you might be able to including all the technicalities. You're a paying customer for god's sake.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's also called the law. You need to be 18 to sign a binding contract.

15. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I think you're screwed. Have to be 18. Pretty much what everyone else said.

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Actually, in the case of iPhones AT&T is moreso the paying customer, since the majority of the retail price is subsidized by them. Apple will not be able to provide a subsidized iPhone to someone not authorized on an eligible account.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep